No announcement yet.

The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've seen multiple articles by conservatives stating that Harris is the "frontrunner" right now. I think that's either laziness or being deliberately wrong to scare the readers. I have not yet heard that from a more mainstream source. Maybe she's picking up steam, but the current polls actually have her around 5%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...tion-6730.html

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      I've seen multiple articles by conservatives stating that Harris is the "frontrunner" right now. I think that's either laziness or being deliberately wrong to scare the readers. I have not yet heard that from a more mainstream source. Maybe she's picking up steam, but the current polls actually have her around 5%.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...tion-6730.html
      I bet she flashes out. Not electable right out of the shoot.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Are those in Canadian dollars?
        Of course ... and $93,208 CDN would only buy me $70,975.82 USD at todays exchange rate, but it's all relative, and in Seattle's eyes it always adds up to 50%
        Last edited by tooblue; 01-30-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          That adds up to 50%!
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            Of course ... and $93,208 CDN would only buy me $70,975.82 USD at todays exchange rate, but it's all relative, and in Seattle's eyes it always adds up to 50%
            Why don't you hosers stop complaining and open up a Tim Horton's here in the Emerald City already?! Effing lazy Canadiennes.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

about 10 years ago my wife and I went on a trip to Banff right when the US dollar was at its weakest in decades. During our trip the US and Canadian dollars were worth exactly the same.

Comment

• It looks like if you live in Quebec and make more than $104,765 CDN ($79,689 USD) then you are paying at least 51.75% (26% to the fed and 25.75% to Quebec)... You almost had me moving to Canada to get me some of that "free" healthcare.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The bills starting to come through the Senate indicate the GOP senators are getting fed up with the Trumpster. The month long shutdown seems to have been the last straw for some of them, at least in terms of avoiding confronting him on issues where they disagree, like trade and foreign policy. The signs are starting to show that this could potentially be like what happened to Jimmy Carter with a democrat Congress that eventually turned on him. I think it will get ugly for him pretty fast if he flatly rejects what the conference committee comes up with and tries to shut down the government again.

"Consider these developments in recent days:

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the Republican chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, on Wednesday called on Trump to lift tariffs on Canada and Mexico before Congress begins debating the NAFTA-replacement treaty the administration recently negotiated, citing the toll the trade war with those countries is taking on American farmers.

On a related front, Republican Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) on Wednesday announced bipartisan legislation that would let Congress reclaim its tariff authorities from the president. Other senators who have signed on to cosponsor the bill include farm state Republicans such as Ben Sasse (Neb.), Jerry Moran (Kan.), James Lankford (Okla.), and Lamar Alexander (Tenn.).

"The imposition of these taxes, under the false pretense of national security, is weakening our economy, threatening American jobs, and eroding our credibility with other nations," Toomey said in a press release announcing the bill.

Meanwhile, Politico reported Wednesday that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is signaling that he won't allow another government shutdown, despite the president's wish to have the option if Congress doesn't approve money for his proposed border wall during negotiations over the next few weeks. McConnell is even entertaining bills that would end shutdowns forever, according to the report.

The dissent even extends to foreign policy, where McConnell on Tuesday "effectively rebuked the president" by introducing a measure criticizing the "precipitous" withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan and Syria. "We are not the world's policeman," the senator said. "But we are the leader of the free world. And it is incumbent upon the United States to lead."

https://theweek.com/articles/820840/...-losing-streak
                  Last edited by BlueK; 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    It looks like if you live in Quebec and make more than $104,765 CDN ($79,689 USD) then you are paying at least 51.75% (26% to the fed and 25.75% to Quebec)... You almost had me moving to Canada to get me some of that "free" healthcare.
                    Living in Montreal during the summer is magical, high taxes notwithstanding. Living in Montreal during the winter almost makes the summer not worth it. Almost.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      ...Meanwhile, Politico reported Wednesday that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is signaling that he won't allow another government shutdown, despite the president's wish to have the option if Congress doesn't approve money for his proposed border wall during negotiations over the next few weeks. McConnell is even entertaining bills that would end shutdowns forever, according to the report...

https://theweek.com/articles/820840/...-losing-streak
                      I could get on board with this. Particularly since they always give folks back pay after the shut down ends. So what's the point?

Comment

It looks like if you live in Quebec and make more than $104,765 CDN ($79,689 USD) then you are paying at least 51.75% (26% to the fed and 25.75% to Quebec)... You almost had me moving to Canada to get me some of that "free" healthcare.
                        Individuals in Quebec don't pay 26% + 25.7% ... they ONLY pay 25.7% period. Quebec is distinct from other provinces. For example, French is the official language of Quebec, not english. That's why every ten years or so they try to separate from the rest of Canada, but ultimately don't because to keep them placated, Ontario, Alberta and BC send them a portion of their taxes, kind of like revenue sharing in professional sports. The big clubs like the Yankees and Red Sox, subsidize the Marlins and Brewers.

I pay 26% + 11.6% (37%) in large part to make up the difference my province loses to Quebec and the Maritime provinces. Though I get much of that 11.6% sent to the province of Ontario back in rebates.

Comment

• Now throw in sales tax and provincial taxes

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Individuals in Quebec don't pay 26% + 25.7% ... they ONLY pay 25.7% period. Quebec is distinct from other provinces. For example, French is the official language of Quebec, not english. That's why every ten years or so they try to separate from the rest of Canada, but ultimately don't because to keep them placated, Ontario, Alberta and BC send them a portion of their taxes, kind of like revenue sharing in professional sports. The big clubs like the Yankees and Red Sox, subsidize the Marlins and Brewers.

I pay 26% + 11.6% (37%) in large part to make up the difference my province loses to Quebec and the Maritime provinces. Though I get much of that 11.6% sent to the province of Ontario back in rebates.

So you are saying if I moved to Quebec I would only have to pay 25.7% period? No matter how much I make? And get all that "free" healthcare?!?

OK, how to I become a Canadian? I could live there in the summers but in Texas in the winters. Who cares what they speak. I just want their free healthcare.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Yeah but you would have to live in can ‘o duh. Hard pass.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

So you are saying if I moved to Quebec I would only have to pay 25.7% period? No matter how much I make? And get all that "free" healthcare?!?

OK, how to I become a Canadian? I could live there in the summers but in Texas in the winters. Who cares what they speak. I just want their free healthcare.
                                You’d have to learn French as well. The québécois are stupidly asinine about maintaining the untainted French. I mean, their stop signs even say arrèt instead of stop.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X