Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 1975

Thread: The 2020 Presidential Election Primary Thread

Gabbard's stated positions on her website are pretty much entirely traditionally standard democrat or liberal. I would say her foreign policy stances on there are almost reminiscent of 1970s or 1980s era hippie idealist, peace love and grooviness. I'm not sure what to make of that. You could argue Putin would love it. But then again, Putin is getting his way all the time with Trump anyway. One thing that would be better than Trump under her approach would be US relations with Europe. I question how practical her idealistic view is. Granted, all of this depends on her actual views being what she says they are on her site. I guess if she's really a Russian spy she'd say all the right things. But Hillary needs to just go away. She's not helping the democrats with delving into the world of conspiracies. Why all the fuss over someone polling at 2%?

On the other hand, the Republican or Trumpist push right now to make her seem like she's almost one of them is silly, based on what she says her views are. From immigration to abortion rights, to healthcare, to pretty much anything else on her issues pages she doesn't seem to have anything in common to Trump or Sean Hannity. I'm guessing they're just trying to stir things up out of belief that her running third party helps them.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-18-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Gabbard's stated positions on her website are pretty much entirely traditionally standard democrat or liberal. I would say her foreign policy stances on there are almost reminiscent of 1970s or 1980s era hippie idealist. Not sure what to make of that. I question how practical it is. It looks like she's trying to avoid saying too much directly about Russia in order to avoid more criticism.

On the other hand, the Republican or Trumpist push to make her seem like she's almost one of them is silly. From immigration to abortion rights, to healthcare, to almost anything else on her issues pages she doesn't seem to have anything in common to Trump or Sean Hannity. I'm guessing they're just trying to stir things up out of belief that her running third party helps them.
    Is there a "trumpist" push to make her seem republica-like? I haven't really noticed. I agree that she is far too left for me to want to support in most years. But she also seems to be practical and realistic and not eager to dismiss other points of view, understanding more will get done if she doesn't treat those who disagree as idiots. I would likely prefer her to Trump, as a result, and to Warren or Biden or Sanders.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Gabbard's stated positions on her website are pretty much entirely traditionally standard democrat or liberal. I would say her foreign policy stances on there are almost reminiscent of 1970s or 1980s era hippie idealist, peace love and grooviness. I'm not sure what to make of that. You could argue Putin would love it. But then again, Putin is getting his way all the time with Trump anyway. One thing that would be better than Trump under her approach would be US relations with Europe. I question how practical her idealistic view is. Granted, all of this depends on her actual views being what she says they are on her site. I guess if she's really a Russian spy she'd say all the right things. But Hillary needs to just go away. She's not helping the democrats with delving into the world of conspiracies. Why all the fuss over someone polling at 2%?

On the other hand, the Republican or Trumpist push right now to make her seem like she's almost one of them is silly, based on what she says her views are. From immigration to abortion rights, to healthcare, to pretty much anything else on her issues pages she doesn't seem to have anything in common to Trump or Sean Hannity. I'm guessing they're just trying to stir things up out of belief that her running third party helps them.
    More conspiracy theories!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Is there a "trumpist" push to make her seem republica-like? I haven't really noticed. I agree that she is far too left for me to want to support in most years. But she also seems to be practical and realistic and not eager to dismiss other points of view, understanding more will get done if she doesn't treat those who disagree as idiots. I would likely prefer her to Trump, as a result, and to Warren or Biden or Sanders.
    She's had a lot of appearances on Fox. I think it's more that they see that some democrats are responding negatively towards her, so they are trying to push her as being someone they like, mostly because they think it stirs the pot.

She's had a lot of appearances on Fox. I think it's more that they see that some democrats are responding negatively towards her, so they are trying to push her as being someone they like, mostly because they think it stirs the pot.
    Whatever. What is your point? That a news network shouldn't listen to other points of view, especially if it might stir the pot? Seriously, what is your point about Gabbard?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Not a Fox News apologist at all, but they’ll generally let any liberal on that wants to come on. Most of them don’t want to though. I don’t think you can point to Fox News appearances as evidence that the right is trying to prop Tulsi up.

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Yep. Nothing new about the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee promoting conspiracy theories about a current contender for the 2020 nomination being a Russian plant. Just business as usual.
    She is favored by Russian media/bots. That’s not a conspiracy. Everyone whined and cried conspiracy about charges Trump was a Russian stooge. I would be shocked if the Russians weren’t trying to cultivate influence with a democratic candidate.

If Tulsi runs 3rd party that’ll be suspicious.
    Last edited by frank ryan; 10-18-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    She is favored by Russian media/bots. That’s not a conspiracy. Everyone whined and cried conspiracy about charges Trump was a Russian stooge.
    1. Evidence this is true?

2. Evidence this is significant?

3. Evidence that Gabbard is complicit?

Get a grip.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

She is favored by Russian media/bots. That’s not a conspiracy. Everyone whined and cried conspiracy about charges Trump was a Russian stooge. I would be shocked if the Russians weren’t trying to cultivate influence with a democratic candidate.

Frank, here is a conspiracy theory you will like. Maybe the Russians realize that people like you will have a visceral reaction out of hand to any candidate perceived to be supported by Russian bots. Knowing this, the Russian bots now actually pick candidates who they are opposed to and feign support for those individuals and thereby throwing you onto their scent and derailing the hopes of a truly formidable Russian foe from being elected.

You need to be especially concerned with Russians if you think you know their strategy, these folks are always thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead (they are dominant in human chess after all). If you think you are on to them, you need to rethink your strategy because they have already shifted to account for your sleuthing prowess. Don't fall for their trap, Frank....you are better than this and can outsmart these Russians!

People have been skeptical of Tulsi. This shit is not new.
    Yeah, she is a brown person. Besides she was in the military and, therefore, killed her share of babies. What is there to trust about her?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

OMG... Jill Stein is a Russian asset too!

Hillary Clinton Engages In Insane Conspiracy Theory Attacking Tulsi Gabbard
    [...]
    “I’m not making any predictions, but I think they’ve got their eye on somebody who is currently in the Democratic primary and are grooming her to be the third-party candidate,” Clinton said of Russia’s involvement in the next presidential election on former Obama White House advisor David Plouffe’s podcast. “She’s the favorite of the Russians.”

During the interview, Clinton also branded former Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein as a Russian asset.

“That’s assuming Jill Stein will give it up, which, she might not ’cause she’s also a Russian asset.” Clinton added. “She’s a Russian asset, totally. They know they can’t win without a third-party candidate. So I don’t know who it’s going to be, but I will guarantee you they will have a vigorous third-party challenge in the key states that they most needed.”
    [...]
    https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/18...tulsi-gabbard/

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    Frank, here is a conspiracy theory you will like. Maybe the Russians realize that people like you will have a visceral reaction out of hand to any candidate perceived to be supported by Russian bots. Knowing this, the Russian bots now actually pick candidates who they are opposed to and feign support for those individuals and thereby throwing you onto their scent and derailing the hopes of a truly formidable Russian foe from being elected.

You need to be especially concerned with Russians if you think you know their strategy, these folks are always thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead (they are dominant in human chess after all). If you think you are on to them, you need to rethink your strategy because they have already shifted to account for your sleuthing prowess. Don't fall for their trap, Frank....you are better than this and can outsmart these Russians!
    This is like the speech Captain Kirk gives to the robot that makes it blow its reasoning circuits.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

It’s pretty much the definition of a conspiracy.

Whatever. What is your point? That a news network shouldn't listen to other points of view, especially if it might stir the pot? Seriously, what is your point about Gabbard?
    I think you and JL are overeacting to what I said about that. This is just a sampling of articles where it's talked about how she's getting some love from the Trumpist side. There is quite a bit out there on that. I was only just observing that it seems a little odd given that she's not a conservative. I guess if you want to dispute that she's getting a lot of positive commentary from those whose views don't align with hers, then that's fine. It just seems logical that they like her right now primarily because she seems to be having a dispute with the Democratic party establishment.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-co...-for-president

https://spectator.us/tulsi-gabbard-conservative-crush/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...rd-maga-debate
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-18-2019 at 02:36 PM.

I think you and JL are overeacting to what I said about that. This is just a sampling of articles where it's talked about how she's getting some love from the Trumpist side. There is quite a bit out there on that. I was only just observing that it seems a little odd given that she's not a conservative. I guess if you want to dispute that she's getting a lot of positive commentary from those whose views don't align with hers, then that's fine. It just seems logical that they like her primarily because she seems to be having a dispute with the Democratic party establishment and no other reason.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-co...-for-president

https://spectator.us/tulsi-gabbard-conservative-crush/

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...rd-maga-debate
    Ok, is it an observation without meaning? Or does it have some import or meaning to you? Shall we catalog minorities who like Trump?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Ok, is it an observation without meaning? Or does it have some import or meaning to you? Shall we catalog minorities who like Trump?
    Ok, to clarify.

I suppose I'm mostly just bashing the pro-Trump media types who are rushing to her defense when they don't have an ideological reason to. I don't like the Tucker Carlson, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham crowd who are giving her some love right now. They're not sincere in their praise, IMO. I think they just are happy to stir the pot more and support Trump's need to polarize. I didn't think that was that controversial.

As far Gabbard herself goes, I actually like her tone on her website and understand why she'd hold the positions she puts on there even if I'm not in agreement with all of them. I do like what she says about civil liberties, immigration, gerrymandering, and other things. I would hope she wouldn't want to mess with or overregulate the economy too much though. I would be concerned a little in that area.

I think Hillary is being crazy right now and is not helping the democrats with her extremist comments.

I do think Gabbard's ideas on peace are idealistic and sound sincere. But I also think they're a little naive. I can see Putin thinking he could push her around and have his way much like the Soviets probably thought about the unilateral nuclear freeze types in the US during the 70s and early 80s had someone like McGovern become president. Therefore, to me it doesn't seem like much of a stretch that Putin wouldn't mind her winning. Then again, he already has his way with Trump.

On the other hand, Gabbard would probably be able to repair our relationship with Western Europe and Canada, which I think would be a good thing.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-18-2019 at 03:06 PM.

It might not be new, but it is (still) stupid.

Hilary and Trump are so much alike. Whereas Trump seems driven by an overwhelming need to be loved and admired, Hilary seems supremely confident of her superiority and so is unable to admit that any of her rejections have anything to do with her, they are instead a vast right wing, er, I mean, Russian, conspiracy and wouldn't you know they are doing it again. Trump wants to be loved and fears he isn't so keeps trying to show he deserves it. Hilary expects to be loved because she knows she deserves it and would get it if only we weren't all such stupid and unwitting dupes. I can't stand either of them.
    BOOM!

Well said.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Cat fight!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by UVACoug View Post
    Yep. Nothing new about the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee promoting conspiracy theories about a current contender for the 2020 nomination being a Russian plant. Just business as usual.
    Dial back the condescension. Most people laughed away accusations that Trump was and/ or would a stooge or pawn for foreign governments. Tulsi does have some concerning characteristics. She reminds me more of Jill Stein than Trump.

Tulsi’s coziness with Assad has been a point of criticism for quite a while as has her unflinching support for Modi and Hindu nationalists. Tulsi has almost solely been focused on criticizing democrats, until Trump abandoned the Kurds. She threatened to boycott the debate and complained about the DNC like a giant baby. She has vocalized opposing the idea of impeaching him.

The Russian propaganda apparatus likes her.

The majority of these criticisms started before she announced her unwanted candidacy for POTUS.

SMACKDOWN!

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

It might not be new, but it is (still) stupid.

Hilary and Trump are so much alike. Whereas Trump seems driven by an overwhelming need to be loved and admired, Hilary seems supremely confident of her superiority and so is unable to admit that any of her rejections have anything to do with her, they are instead a vast right wing, er, I mean, Russian, conspiracy and wouldn't you know they are doing it again. Trump wants to be loved and fears he isn't so keeps trying to show he deserves it. Hilary expects to be loved because she knows she deserves it and would get it if only we weren't all such stupid and unwitting dupes. I can't stand either of them.
    Trump is much much much than Hillary would have been. They are both self-obsessed narcissists, Trump is detached from reality.

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post

Who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    SMACKDOWN!

4g84inc6pdt31.jpg

Run Pocahontas! Run!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Are you sure they are talking about Gabbard? My money is on Warren. She looks like a Rusky. Well, at least more than she looks like a native american.
    Swish! Here is proof that Warren is a Russian plant: She was a registered republican until 1996.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Feel the Bern...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

It doesn’t surprise me that the Dems would vilify and smear a veteran. Especially Hillary, who is responsible for several deaths in Benghazi.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Cat fight!

Interesting. If nothing else, this should bring more awareness of Gabbard's candidacy.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Dial back the condescension. Most people laughed away accusations that Trump was and/ or would a stooge or pawn for foreign governments. Tulsi does have some concerning characteristics. She reminds me more of Jill Stein than Trump.

Tulsi’s coziness with Assad has been a point of criticism for quite a while as has her unflinching support for Modi and Hindu nationalists. Tulsi has almost solely been focused on criticizing democrats, until Trump abandoned the Kurds. She threatened to boycott the debate and complained about the DNC like a giant baby. She has vocalized opposing the idea of impeaching him.

The Russian propaganda apparatus likes her.

The majority of these criticisms started before she announced her unwanted candidacy for POTUS.
    OMG! Pelosi is one of those frick'n Rusky assets... How deep does this go?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/...ble-tom-rogan/

We need someone like Joseph McCarthy to hunt down these red commies. I know! We could create a special counsel for this and get Hillary to run it!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

[QUOTE=Uncle Ted;1432723]Cat fight!
    [QUOTE]

Good grief, I hate the Democratic Party so much. What a clown show.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

And she was a law professor at Harvard... Obviously overrated.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!