No announcement yet.

Newbie bike question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a Slayer which is what I have. So makes coming down the mountain so much fun. https://www.ksl.com/classifieds/listing/44401004

Comment

Cool, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        No, I don't know much anything yet. I was looking at bikes in the 300-600ish range for my first purchase, and I like the large frame on my current bike, so I was filtering on that, and those were the two best I could find so far. I did read up a little on hardtail vs full suspension, and I think I would lean towards hardtail, just because it's probably good enough, and I'll still be riding it a lot on the road, ie to get to the trails.
        If you're looking at large frames, I presume you are around 6' tall. If so, I would stay away from the 26 inch wheels. Find a good solid bike with 27.5 or 29 inch wheels, especially if you're leaning toward a hardtail.
        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Originally posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
          If you're looking at large frames, I presume you are around 6' tall. If so, I would stay away from the 26 inch wheels. Find a good solid bike with 27.5 or 29 inch wheels, especially if you're leaning toward a hardtail.
          I'm 6'3. 6'2 by the Santos eyeball test. My current bike is the 700 size. When i attempted it on a bumpy dirt trail, my feeling was that smaller tire would be helpful to control. But maybe it was more the suspension/tire grip that was the issue.

Comment

I'm 6'3. 6'2 by the Santos eyeball test. My current bike is the 700 size. When i attempted it on a bumpy dirt trail, my feeling was that smaller tire would be helpful to control. But maybe it was more the suspension/tire grip that was the issue.
            I think you would be happy with the 29" wheel.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The tires could very well be a huge factor. The 29 inch wheels give you larger contact patch, which should therefore lead to better grip and control. The downside to this is that the bigger wheels aren't quite as maneuverable as the smaller wheels and they weigh more. Here is an article that might help a little. Giant published an interesting article that I couldn't find that showed why 27.5 is better than 29 because you get more upside with less of the downside.
              When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

I'm wanting to explore these kinds of roads along the bench and in the canyon.

Comment

Any other input on hardtail or suspension? Or simply swap out thicker, grippier tires on my current bike?

Comment

Any other input on hardtail or suspension? Or simply swap out thicker, grippier tires on my current bike?
                    Might be worth trying some different tires on your current bike to see how they work. You just might avoid spending a few hundred dollars for a separate bike. As for hardtail vs. full suspension, I think a hardtail would do just fine on that type of trail. I have ridden a full suspension for the last 15+ years and I am seriously considering going back to a hardtail. One reason is cost since a full suspension costs a significant amount more. Another reason is that I am not an aggressive rider and I don't charge down hills all that fast, so I don't think I would miss the rear suspension much.

Comment

Actually, Jay Santos is the one person that Jay Santos cannot perform the Santos eyeball test since the Santos eyeball test involves Jay Santos standing next to the subject.
                      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                        Actually, Jay Santos is the one person that Jay Santos cannot perform the Santos eyeball test since the Santos eyeball test involves Jay Santos standing next to the subject.
                        Mirror.

Comment

I haven't done that much mountain biking. I have used both a hard tail and full suspension. I find the hard tail is much more versatile and generally I am happier using it. OTOH, I love to bomb down hill as fast as I can and there is nothing like a full suspension for that. If I had to pick one or the other, I would likely go with hard tail for its versatility.

As to the wheels, recall that b29" wheels are the same size as 700 road bike wheels, albeit the rims are usually a different width. But if you are rolling a hybrid now, its possible your tires might fit both.

Speaking of your hybrid, if it is a decent frame, you might want to try switching out the tires and see how that works. You really cant go too far wrong and might save some money and garage storage space.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The only issue with switching out tires is that you will need to expect reduced performance on the road.

But if you're only riding those 4 miles to work and back, maybe that isn't such a bad trade off. A tire with more traction is probably going to be a little louder on pavement (no big deal) and not roll quite as well - so you'll have to work just a little harder and won't be able to coast as much. But let's be honest...we're talking about 4 miles, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                              The only issue with switching out tires is that you will need to expect reduced performance on the road.

But if you're only riding those 4 miles to work and back, maybe that isn't such a bad trade off. A tire with more traction is probably going to be a little louder on pavement (no big deal) and not roll quite as well - so you'll have to work just a little harder and won't be able to coast as much. But let's be honest...we're talking about 4 miles, right?
                              Well, that's the thing. I've really been enjoying riding the bike, taking two hour rides or so, and up until now it's been all on the road. And I want to continue to be able to enjoy that. So if it would hurt the road experience appreciably, then I'd probably rather pick up a second bike.

Comment

Well, that's the thing. I've really been enjoying riding the bike, taking two hour rides or so, and up until now it's been all on the road. And I want to continue to be able to enjoy that. So if it would hurt the road experience appreciably, then I'd probably rather pick up a second bike.
                                You can never go wrong with a second, third or fourth bike.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X