Newbie bike question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Surfah and others have given you good advice but I wouldnt have a second of doubt about getting this bike. At this price point and with that frame style, there just isn't that much difference in dated frame geometry. Moreover, as an old fart who has been looking at and buying bike frames for a long, long time I can tell you that frame geometry goes back and forth sort of like hair styles. For example, in the 70s there were a lot of super long frames with very relaxed head tube angles. Then LeMond wins the tour and boom: everything turns into crit frame geometry. They are very different, to be sure, but recency doesn't mean it is better, it's just different and has all been done before. If you were getting a hardcore mountain bike and planning to throw it around on trails a lot, I would have suggested you get the smallest frame size that makes sense. But for primarily riding on roads or hard paths, which I understand is what you will likely be doing, and buying what is fundamentally an all-round frame at that price point? You will be just fine. Just get it, make sure it is tuned and set up for you after you buy it, and then ride and enjoy it.
    Good point about getting it tuned. Putting the bike together should be pretty straightforward. It will come mostly assembled from Bikes Direct. You will have to put on the front wheel, handlebars, pedals and seat post/saddle. They say they're tuned before they are packaged but things get jostled around in transit. Even with all of the foam, zip ties and plastic protecting everything I have seen bent rotors, rear derailleur hangers, etc. It is probably worth taking it to your local bike shop and getting it tuned before riding. They will check tires, make sure everything shifts properly, etc. Also you will have to bed in your brakes before really riding. YouTube has a ton of videos to show you how to properly do all of this. Also, I know all 3 LBS near me are backed up like 10 days for tune ups. I am sure most bike shops are experiencing similar lead times because of all the business they're having right now.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

My bikesdirect bike finally arrived after a month and a half, so I took it out for a spin. Guys. I'm outta shape. I needed this. I actually enjoyed my ride and it's waaaay better than jogging. I'll keep at it and get better!

I enjoy the bike. Much nicer than anything I've ever had before, that's for sure...

Any tips for accessories? So far I got a helmet, front and rear lights and some wireless ear buds. Planning on saddle bag soon

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        My bikesdirect bike finally arrived after a month and a half, so I took it out for a spin. Guys. I'm outta shape. I needed this. I actually enjoyed my ride and it's waaaay better than jogging. I'll keep at it and get better!

I enjoy the bike. Much nicer than anything I've ever had before, that's for sure...

Any tips for accessories? So far I got a helmet, front and rear lights and some wireless ear buds. Planning on saddle bag soon
        A playing card that can flip against the spokes. Those are the best.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Awesome to get out on the bike. I never ride with ear buds or music; I want to hear what's going on around me, whether I'm on the road or a trail - the sound of an oncoming car or the sounds of nature. You might add some cycling gloves that give a little padding and protection. What kind of pedals are you riding? Flats? Those are great for starting out, but you might consider clipless pedals and dedicated bike shoes, as they can give better support to the arches and allow for better power transfer. How about a bike computer, to help track the miles?

Comment

I got a phone mount so I can use a cycling app on my phone. It tracks speed, shows my route on a map, etc. Nice little addition for not much price.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
              Awesome to get out on the bike. I never ride with ear buds or music; I want to hear what's going on around me, whether I'm on the road or a trail - the sound of an oncoming car or the sounds of nature. You might add some cycling gloves that give a little padding and protection. What kind of pedals are you riding? Flats? Those are great for starting out, but you might consider clipless pedals and dedicated bike shoes, as they can give better support to the arches and allow for better power transfer. How about a bike computer, to help track the miles?
              Yeah, too dangerous to use ear buds.

I just ordered an ISM seat.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                I got a phone mount so I can use a cycling app on my phone. It tracks speed, shows my route on a map, etc. Nice little addition for not much price.
                I got this one. It's awesome. I also use one of those rubber band things that hold down each corner. Free Strava does a great job of tracking my rides. Bonus, it feeds that info into MyFitnessPal automagically.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  I only have one ear bud in so I can hear traffic and cars. It works nicely. Good call on the glove, I'll think I'll do that. As far as pedals, they are.... I have no idea. They are what came in the box. I have a fitness watch that tracks miles, calories and heart rate...

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    Free Strava does a great job of tracking my rides.
                    I use Strava for all of my bike rides and walks. It does everything that I need.

Comment

I only have one ear bud in so I can hear traffic and cars.
                      This is what I do when I am on solo rides. I wear an ear bud in my right ear and have no trouble hearing traffic. My music isn't too loud and it's there to keep me company and keep a beat going for t
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        This is what I do when I am on solo rides. I wear an ear bud in my right ear and have no trouble hearing traffic. My music isn't too loud and it's there to keep me company and keep a beat going for t
                        Oh no...a car got Moliere mid-sentence. He never heard it coming.
                        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                          Oh no...a car got Moliere mid-sentence. He never heard it coming.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Anybody have any experience with velofix? They are a mobile bike service-- and apparently the only one left. I want to buy an ebike, but I dont know the first thing about bikes. I dont know how to assemble one, how to change a tire, how to fix anything. But velofix will assemble and fit my rad power bike for $199. Also, they will do at-home service and maintenance. I am not interested in doing any of that stuff, and I dont want to haul around a 60 lb ebike to my local bike shop.

Any recommendations?

Comment

Working...
                            X