Newbie bike question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
    Tires are Bontrager Jones AC. They still have what appears to be near new tread. But they feel pretty soft, especially on the side. And I appear to have a slow flat. I've been taking it progressively on more risky trails, like riding over fields with dried up sage brush, bouncing down on sharpish rocks, etc. But I think that's part of the fun of the mountain bike, you can do that stuff, right? I need to see if can handle tubeless. I think I might need to make a modification.
    I googled Bontrager Jones AC, and the first few reviews here on mtbr say it has horrible traction. So you might want to have the shock serviced, as shaka suggests, and consider better tires. You'll be fine for now, but will notice a big difference if you make those upgrades.

Comment

One thing is I probably need new tires. I'm spinning and having a hard time getting traction, going uphill on rocky/gravely roads. I know part of this is technique and just difficult trail to go on. What's a good suggestion on new tires for this bike? It has 26 x 2.1 right now. I think it can go a little fatter.
      One of my favorite tires in the 26 inch size is the WTB Raptor. It comes in a front and rear specific tread and is not too expensive. Another good one I have liked is the Panaracer Fire XC Pro. These aren't too pricey either, but last a long time and have good tread.
      When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Hey guys... Want to get into cycling for exercise. Total newbie and budget is 400 or less (middling earl to me!). I would be doing pretty much all road and maybe a bit off road/gravel. It's actually really hard to find a bike right now during the pandemic and I know some don't love bikesdirect, but what do ya'll think of this bike? I think it could be good...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...lite_trail.htm

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          Hey guys... Want to get into cycling for exercise. Total newbie and budget is 400 or less (middling earl to me!). I would be doing pretty much all road and maybe a bit off road/gravel. It's actually really hard to find a bike right now during the pandemic and I know some don't love bikesdirect, but what do ya'll think of this bike? I think it could be good...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...lite_trail.htm
          I started on a bike similar to that back when I was varsity coach in our ward. It should do good for you for a while. Eventually I think you'll want something lighter and faster.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Last question... I'm pretty much exactly 6'0" on the dot. Which size should I get? Here are the suggested ranges

15.5" - 5'6" to 5'9"
            17.5" - 5'9 to 5'11"
            19" - 6' to 6'2"
            21" - 6'2 to 6'4"
            23" - 6'5 to 6'7"

Is it smarter to get the smaller size, or get the size that I am on the low end of the range?

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Last question... I'm pretty much exactly 6'0" on the dot. Which size should I get? Here are the suggested ranges

15.5" - 5'6" to 5'9"
              17.5" - 5'9 to 5'11"
              19" - 6' to 6'2"
              21" - 6'2 to 6'4"
              23" - 6'5 to 6'7"

Is it smarter to get the smaller size, or get the size that I am on the low end of the range?
              How are you proportioned? More torso than legs, etc.? If you're at least even, I'd probably go with the 19".

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

15.5" - 5'6" to 5'9"
                17.5" - 5'9 to 5'11"
                19" - 6' to 6'2"
                21" - 6'2 to 6'4"
                23" - 6'5 to 6'7"

For that frame style I would probably suggest the 19" size. As Bo knows, however, it would depend on your personal proportions.m.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Inseam 33 inches. Looks like the standover height for the 19 inch frame will work. Thanks fellas.

Comment

Inseam 33 inches. Looks like the standover height for the 19 inch frame will work. Thanks fellas.
                    Let us know how it works out for you. I have always been tempted to buy something for others from there.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      Let us know how it works out for you. I have always been tempted to buy something for others from there.
                      So I bought two bikes off of Bikes Direct. However, neither were one of the house brands like Motobecane. They were both Raleighs that I imagine they got on overstock like the Talus 4 they still sell on the front page. They ship from Florida for bikes they have in stock. The first bike I ordered on a Thursday and arrived that Sunday morning. The other bike arrived in 3 day's time as well.

Bikes Direct makes money by selling decently spec'd bikes on frames with older geometry that are no longer being sold. The frames themselves are fine. In fact they are made by Kinesis in Taiwan who makes the frames for Commencal, Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Haro, Ideal, Jamis, K2, Kona, Kross, Raleigh, Redline Bicycles, Santa Cruz Bicycles, Schwinn, Storck, Sunn, Titus Cycles, Torker, and Trek. Just know they're outdated geometry that are probably more similar to bikes you rode as a missionary than anything on the market right now. Most mountain bikes today are very slack and long. Most of the Bikes Direct bikes have steep head tube, seat stay angles and long chain stays for example. It concerns me that they haven't posted the geometry of the particular bike you're looking at.

My personal recommendation is if $400 is your budget you're better off looking for something used on the reseller market. Try Facebook Marketplace, local bike groups, or Craigslist. If you're set on something new, the Raleigh Talus 4 bike they have for $499 is a better option IMO. It has Tourney TX components which are just below the Altus. But has more modern geometry which will make the bike more worthwhile to upgrade going forward. Also, I am not sure what kind of riding you are looking to do but I don't care for hybrids. They really don't do either thing well IMO. So determine what kind of riding you will be doing and base your bike off that. I'd rather have a mountain bike on the road or around the neighborhood than a hybrid on the trail for example. You mentioned mostly road, I would look at maybe a gravel bike since they're all the rage right now. Bikesonline.com is another option. They're the USA distributor for Polygon who is based in Indonesia. They're fairly big in Australia. They're legit and have a pro team unlike Bikes Direct. You could also build a budget gravel bike pretty easily by buying an older mountain bike and making it into one with a few components. I actually have an old 1994 Kona Custom Hot in my garage that I keep debating what to do with. It's a frankenbike right now that needs a complete overhaul. Somedays I think I should turn it into a single speed commuter. Or do a whole retro restoration. Or do a retro mod and update it with a 1x drivetrain and disc brakes. Or build a gravel bike out of it and throw some drop bars on it. And then other days I just want to sell it as is. But this was a bike I coveted 25 years so I haven't been able to part with it.

Also, if you're tight on budget, check out bikeisland.com. It's Bikes Direct's scratch and dent. Careful, to be sure to check the fine print. Some are missing components, etc. Each deal is unique and their interface is worse than Bike's Direct Geocities web page. Another option is eBay. Seller sprtymama is Bikes Direct's eBay account. They usually have a couple bikes on their each week. Check out completed auctions for what you can expect as far as what folks are paying on the auction market.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

One other thing on this. I am a little taller than you but have a 32" inseam. I have a 19" bike and almost wish I had gone a size down. Granted aside from riding around the neighborhood with my girls, I mostly ride a lot of trails and spend just as much time out of the saddle as in it. A smaller bike would make it easier to throw around and give me just a bit more standover height. Even still I ride with a dropper post. Something to consider.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          So I bought two bikes off of Bikes Direct. However, neither were one of the house brands like Motobecane. They were both Raleighs that I imagine they got on overstock like the Talus 4 they still sell on the front page. They ship from Florida for bikes they have in stock. The first bike I ordered on a Thursday and arrived that Sunday morning. The other bike arrived in 3 day's time as well.

Bikes Direct makes money by selling decently spec'd bikes on frames with older geometry that are no longer being sold. The frames themselves are fine. In fact they are made by Kinesis in Taiwan who makes the frames for Commencal, Diamondback Bicycles, Felt Bicycles, GT Bicycles, Haro, Ideal, Jamis, K2, Kona, Kross, Raleigh, Redline Bicycles, Santa Cruz Bicycles, Schwinn, Storck, Sunn, Titus Cycles, Torker, and Trek. Just know they're outdated geometry that are probably more similar to bikes you rode as a missionary than anything on the market right now. Most mountain bikes today are very slack and long. Most of the Bikes Direct bikes have steep head tube, seat stay angles and long chain stays for example. It concerns me that they haven't posted the geometry of the particular bike you're looking at.

My personal recommendation is if $400 is your budget you're better off looking for something used on the reseller market. Try Facebook Marketplace, local bike groups, or Craigslist. If you're set on something new, the Raleigh Talus 4 bike they have for $499 is a better option IMO. It has Tourney TX components which are just below the Altus. But has more modern geometry which will make the bike more worthwhile to upgrade going forward. Also, I am not sure what kind of riding you are looking to do but I don't care for hybrids. They really don't do either thing well IMO. So determine what kind of riding you will be doing and base your bike off that. I'd rather have a mountain bike on the road or around the neighborhood than a hybrid on the trail for example. You mentioned mostly road, I would look at maybe a gravel bike since they're all the rage right now. Bikesonline.com is another option. They're the USA distributor for Polygon who is based in Indonesia. They're fairly big in Australia. They're legit and have a pro team unlike Bikes Direct. You could also build a budget gravel bike pretty easily by buying an older mountain bike and making it into one with a few components. I actually have an old 1994 Kona Custom Hot in my garage that I keep debating what to do with. It's a frankenbike right now that needs a complete overhaul. Somedays I think I should turn it into a single speed commuter. Or do a whole retro restoration. Or do a retro mod and update it with a 1x drivetrain and disc brakes. Or build a gravel bike out of it and throw some drop bars on it. And then other days I just want to sell it as is. But this was a bike I coveted 25 years so I haven't been able to part with it.

Also, if you're tight on budget, check out bikeisland.com. It's Bikes Direct's scratch and dent. Careful, to be sure to check the fine print. Some are missing components, etc. Each deal is unique and their interface is worse than Bike's Direct Geocities web page. Another option is eBay. Seller sprtymama is Bikes Direct's eBay account. They usually have a couple bikes on their each week. Check out completed auctions for what you can expect as far as what folks are paying on the auction market.
                          Thank you.

Comment

Good advice surfah. I've checked around for used bikes, but it's a tough market right now. Not a lot in my range and it seems to be a coronavirus upcharge right now. Obviously a bunch of other people have had the same idea I had of getting a bike. Even all the targets, Walmarts and sporting goods stores are out of stock. We'll see how it goes with bikesdirect. I can tell the frames are a bit dated,but don't care much right now. Just want to get started with some exercise rides and see where it takes me.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Good advice surfah. I've checked around for used bikes, but it's a tough market right now. Not a lot in my range and it seems to be a coronavirus upcharge right now. Obviously a bunch of other people have had the same idea I had of getting a bike. Even all the targets, Walmarts and sporting goods stores are out of stock. We'll see how it goes with bikesdirect. I can tell the frames are a bit dated,but don't care much right now. Just want to get started with some exercise rides and see where it takes me.

Thanks guys!
                              Surfah and others have given you good advice but I wouldnt have a second of doubt about getting this bike. At this price point and with that frame style, there just isn't that much difference in dated frame geometry. Moreover, as an old fart who has been looking at and buying bike frames for a long, long time I can tell you that frame geometry goes back and forth sort of like hair styles. For example, in the 70s there were a lot of super long frames with very relaxed head tube angles. Then LeMond wins the tour and boom: everything turns into crit frame geometry. They are very different, to be sure, but recency doesn't mean it is better, it's just different and has all been done before. If you were getting a hardcore mountain bike and planning to throw it around on trails a lot, I would have suggested you get the smallest frame size that makes sense. But for primarily riding on roads or hard paths, which I understand is what you will likely be doing, and buying what is fundamentally an all-round frame at that price point? You will be just fine. Just get it, make sure it is tuned and set up for you after you buy it, and then ride and enjoy it.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                                A bike is similar to golf clubs IMO. It's not the clubs, but the golfer they say. Same with a bike. However, you will quickly learn that nicer equipment will make the experience much more enjoyable. Fitted clubs with a cavity back design and an oversized driver with a giant sweet spot will help you find the fairway more often than the odd iron set from Northwestern. If you get into your bike, you will quickly want to upgrade. At least that's been my experience.

You are right about the prices in the resale market. They're not as insane as exercise equipment but close. Still I have seen some deals out there. But it is hard to be patient when you just want to ride.
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X