No announcement yet.

Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girl goes to guys apartment. It's a BYU football player. Everyone's drinking. Girl and guy has consensual sex. Later in the night girl has group sex with multiple football players. Girl says it's a rape, she never gave consent. Charges are dropped, nothing can be proven. Guys get kicked out. Regardless of whether it was a rape or not, they were drinking and having sex. Should girl also face the Honor Code? Dunno. I'm just saying I don't know if it's black and white rule that rape victim gets special Honor Code status compared to other parties in the case.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
      This is really just BYU's flavor of the problem of colleges trying to address sexual assault on college campuses. Trying to protect victims and afford due process to the accused has proven to be too difficult a task for colleges across the country. Better to simply refer the matter to law enforcement and let them handle it.

BYU's flavor of the problem is unique in that it asserts an interest in otherwise lawful conduct. But the solution's only a little different. If you don't want the University to have to delve into these issues and inevitably get it wrong from time to time, then leave it to the bishops. The honor code office should be reduced to approximately three people entering ecclesiastical endorsements into excel-- if not disbanded altogether.
      agree

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post

BYU's flavor of the problem is unique in that it asserts an interest in otherwise lawful conduct. But the solution's only a little different. If you don't want the University to have to delve into these issues and inevitably get it wrong from time to time, then leave it to the bishops. The honor code office should be reduced to approximately three people entering ecclesiastical endorsements into excel-- if not disbanded altogether.
        Bravo, I could get totally behind this suggestion.

Comment

How about just make it an academic honor code?

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
            How about just make it an academic honor code?
            I would go with that. Then leave it to the bishops to give out ecclesiastical endorsements. The HCO shouldn't exist at all, IMO. If you could get a temple recommend or go on a mission, you can go to school. That's up to the bishop and not anyone else.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
              I would go with that. Then leave it to the bishops to give out ecclesiastical endorsements. The HCO shouldn't exist at all, IMO. If you could get a temple recommend or go on a mission, you can go to school. That's up to the bishop and not anyone else.
              Has anyone registered the domain name "RateMyBishop.com" yet?
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Has anyone registered the domain name "RateMyBishop.com" yet?
                Isn't that a song by The Prodigy?
                I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                  That's "smack my bishop."

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                    Who the hell is Prodigy?

I was thinking RateMyBishop.com would be a nice service like RateMyProfessors.com for LDS students, or members in general, shopping around for a new bishop. They folks could get the heads up on the ones that would send you to the HCO or something and avoid moving into those wards.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

-----------------------
                      Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 09-13-2016, 09:16 AM.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                        This is going to get really ugly if BYU doesn't get some changes in place. I don't know how anyone can justify what BYU is doing here.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3773615-1...-is-threatened
                        This just gets more bizzare. I'd like to know what evidence came from the internal investigation that led the Utah County Attorneys to drop the charges against Randolf. And he still has a job working for the Sheriff's Office. What a punk. I'd love for the rape victim to file a civil suit against him.

Comment

Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 09-13-2016, 09:20 AM.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

It definitely bothers me that it appears that Randolf will have no repercussions from this. His attitude about it is also really disgusting.

I also don't get BYU's position in all of this. You have a prosecutor telling them they are interfering with a criminal prosecution and they won't back off. I'd say the rape prosecution is more important than punishing the woman for her alleged honor code violation.
                            It was those dang BYU lawyers: "both said school lawyers rebuffed their requests to suspend their process in the interest of the criminal case". Is there a lower class of professionals on Earth?

Comment

It definitely bothers me that it appears that Randolf will have no repercussions from this. His attitude about it is also really disgusting.

I also don't get BYU's position in all of this. You have a prosecutor telling them they are interfering with a criminal prosecution and they won't back off. I'd say the rape prosecution is more important than punishing the woman for her alleged honor code violation.
                              Is it really "interfering" with a criminal prosecution though? I understand it is making it potentially difficult for the victim to stay in school. I guess the allegation is that if she's kicked out of school, she won't stay in Utah? Is there anything really keeping her from coming to Utah for the trial? Or is it just a matter of convenience?
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                It was those dang BYU lawyers: "both said school lawyers rebuffed their requests to suspend their process in the interest of the criminal case". Is there a lower class of professionals on Earth?
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X