Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    I take every comparison to SeattleUte as a compliment. Thank you. Maybe you aren't all bad.
    Yeah, I have noticed you are trying every possible to identify with SU these days. Ironically, this is one of SU's favorite quotes:

"Stop being so damned obsequious."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Yeah, I have noticed you are trying every possible to identify with SU these days. Ironically, this is one of SU's favorite quotes:

"Stop being so damned obsequious."
      I'm not being obsequious I will not follow his absurd beliefs regarding beer. Sure, I love a good scotch or whiskey as well, but I'm not going to abandon the one true alcoholic beverage for these admittedly delicious spirits.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Amnesty really needs to be for anything uncovered in the investigation. Anything short gets in the way of reporting. Which battle does BYU want to pick?

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
          I'm not being obsequious I will not follow his absurd beliefs regarding beer. Sure, I love a good scotch or whiskey as well, but I'm not going to abandon the one true alcoholic beverage for these admittedly delicious spirits.
          Yeah, you never give up on the one true anything for something else. You have always loved the one true sport, basketball, baseball, hockey! You're devotion to the one true franchise, the Portland Trailblazers, the Oakland A's, the Chicago Blackhawks, has never waivered!
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            Amnesty really needs to be for anything uncovered in the investigation. Anything short gets in the way of reporting. Which battle does BYU want to pick?

Just to clarify, are you saying it shouldn't matter if people lie, cheat, steal, drink, do drugs, possibly for years while at BYU, and as soon as they are assaulted they should get an instant pass on all of those HC violations?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Just to clarify, are you saying it shouldn't matter if people lie, cheat, steal, drink, do drugs, possibly for years while at BYU, and as soon as they are assaulted they should get an instant pass on all of those HC violations?
              Yes. If they were able to keep everything under wraps for years, they somehow slipped through the cracks. The more skeletons they have in the closet, the more pressure they'll have not to report a sexual assault, for fear of punitive action.

So which battle would you pick? Would you rather hold people accountable for HC violations that otherwise would have remained secret, or go after sexual assault?

Comment

...do you not think this?
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  ...do you not think this?
                  First, I should have modified my statement to "as soon as they claim they are assaulted".
                  Second, no, I don't think that a student who, say, cheated regularly through multiple years at BYU should get a pass on it once they allege assault with the Title IX office, if somehow that information came out during the Title IX investigation and had nothing to do with the alleged assault.

Comment

Second, no, I don't think that a student who, say, cheated regularly through multiple years at BYU should get a pass on it once they allege assault with the Title IX office, if somehow that information came out during the Title IX investigation and had nothing to do with the alleged assault.
                    yes this cheating hypothetical makes a lot of sense

Comment

• Apparently, Cornell, Northwestern, Tulane, Boston University, and a whole host of other schools have "at or near the time" amnesty clauses but not "100% blanket amnesty for anything wrong you ever did while you were a student" clauses so I guess I'm not alone in my thinking.

Comment

Apparently, Cornell, Northwestern, Tulane, Boston University, and a whole host of other schools have "at or near the time" amnesty clauses but not "100% blanket amnesty for anything wrong you ever did while you were a student" clauses so I guess I'm not alone in my thinking.
                        they also don't kick people out of school for drinking alcohol or being in the bedroom of a member of the opposite sex

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          yes this cheating hypothetical makes a lot of sense
                          Great. Glad to see we're on the same page.

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                            In all seriousness, yikes, this is bad.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3770084-1...ual?fullpage=1
                            And the Trib wins a Pulitzer for this investigation.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5161643-1...s-pulitzer-for
                            "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                            -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                              And the Trib wins a Pulitzer for this investigation.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5161643-1...s-pulitzer-for
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• DeVos planning to scrap Obama rules on campus sexual assault.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...ntent=headline

This might be a good move, on balance. Seems crazy that we are relying on these fake courts set up on campuses.

In her speech, DeVos described “increasingly elaborate and confusing guidelines” that have harmed students on both sides of the debate. She criticized the standard of evidence and said the system has led schools to create “kangaroo courts” overseen by campus officials who don’t always have legal training.

“Every survivor of sexual misconduct must be taken seriously. Every student accused of sexual misconduct must know that guilt is not predetermined,” she said. “These are non-negotiable principles.”
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X