Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Oh come on, man. Laugh a bit. A&M is incredibly conservative but I know it's not quite the same as BYU, even though A&M didn't allow women until like the 1960s or something like that. Now BYU-Idaho is definitely the most conservative of them all, but I still wouldn't mind my kids going there. They are growing up in Texas where they aren't surrounded by the overbearing Mormon culture that permeates BYU-Idaho and Id' hope they'd keep a sense of realism about it all while attending.

I do like all the stories about how BYU is going apostate. That's hilarious. I guess I was oblivious to it all as I spent 80% of my time in the Tanner building. I guess it's hard to intertwine apostate doctrine into a discussion of debits and credits. I did have a couple crazy religious professors but most of them were great, humble people.
    The trick is to select the religion classes that are taught by faculty that are not part of the Religion Department.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      there are some real crazies in that thread, starting with the OP. of all the bigots on CB, he might take the cake.
      Do I have to be a donor to see that thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        The trick is to select the religion classes that are taught by faculty that are not part of the Religion Department.
        Ha! I think this is probably good advice, but my least favorite was a guy from the physical facilities or something or other.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          This is actually terrible advice.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            This is actually terrible advice.
            Maybe so, but some of my favorite (and, in some cases, easiest) religion classes were taught by faculty outside of the Religion Department. Of course, I never subjected myself to a religion course taught by an engineering professor, so ymmv.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Noticed that quite a number of football players are not in compliance with the dress code, with especially long hair. One good thing about Covid is that it restricts those trips to the barber, and BYU admin cant get too upset.

Comment

• Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

This police desertification thing will probably conclude in 2038

https://www.ksl.com/article/50038074...ication-appeal

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  Do I have to be a donor to see that thread?
                  yes. it's in the religion category.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
                    This police desertification thing will probably conclude in 2038

https://www.ksl.com/article/50038074...ication-appeal
                    Or in 3 weeks. Maybe going for summary judgment wasn’t a great idea.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50048632...ing-byu-police

Comment

• So a summary of the whole PD issue. A presumably rogue officer was using the police database to look up police records of students and report them to the HCO for violations. The students were overwhelmingly women victims of sexual assault. The department discovered the problem but was slow to react and essentially covered it up. So the state wants to decertify the entire department. This is a serious issue, but the state's solution seems extreme.

Comment

• rogue implies someone occasionally going off the Rez. This was a systemmatic culling through records of victims. did you see how many times he hit up the database? he must have been doing it nightly, for years. and if you are on the honor code committee, didnt you think that it was weird that all these women accused of alcohol or drugs at party also were telling stories of rape and sexual violence? « Well, you made the decision to attend this sketchy party and get drunk, but we think you should be punished more than getting raped. «

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          rogue implies someone occasionally going off the Rez. This was a systemmatic culling through records of victims. did you see how many times he hit up the database? he must have been doing it nightly, for years. and if you are on the honor code committee, didnt you think that it was weird that all these women accused of alcohol or drugs at party also were telling stories of rape and sexual violence? « Well, you made the decision to attend this sketchy party and get drunk, but we think you should be punished more than getting raped. «

This is the most disturbing thing about all of this to me. I'd like to know that others at BYU have been disciplined for their part in this.

The State's position does seem heavy handed, but I have no problem seeing BYU get out of the police business whatsoever. For that matter, I'd be happy to see the UofU get out of it as well after this McClusky business as well. Oversight at our university PD's isn't working.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            rogue implies someone occasionally going off the Rez. This was a systemmatic culling through records of victims. did you see how many times he hit up the database? he must have been doing it nightly, for years. and if you are on the honor code committee, didnt you think that it was weird that all these women accused of alcohol or drugs at party also were telling stories of rape and sexual violence? « Well, you made the decision to attend this sketchy party and get drunk, but we think you should be punished more than getting raped. «
                            Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• the hc is what should be abolished first here
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                the hc is what should be abolished first here
                                true. police department issue goes away once the HC goes away
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X