Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    Why does it have to be mutually exclusive? I was never tempted to consume while at BYU whether because of my testimony or not. Others probably stayed dry primarily for fear of getting caught. And there's probably a segment of students who use both testimony and fear of punishment as an alcohol deterrent.
    I think the dude has covered this many times.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Funk, your typical binary thinking has led you to believe ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Funk, serious question: why do you care? You have left the church, you trash everything BYU/LDS constantly. I can't imagine you would send a child to BYU given the option. So why does debating stuff like this consume so much of your energy?
      This just isn't an accurate statement. Most of my "trashing" of the LDS church and BYU is about LGBTQ issues which are deeply personal based on damage these policies have done to people I care deeply about. I realize you think limited damage has been done to the LGBTQ community by BYU and the LDS church but you are dead wrong.
      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
        This just isn't an accurate statement. Most of my "trashing" of the LDS church and BYU is about LGBTQ issues which are deeply personal based on damage these policies have done to people I care deeply about. I realize you think limited damage has been done to the LGBTQ community by BYU and the LDS church but you are dead wrong.
        You are dodging the question.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

This is a complete BS statement by the way.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            I think the dude has covered this many times.
            Good call.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

So you think it is fear of punishment not a testimony that prohibits alcohol use? Seems pretty cynical
              Yep, i'm pretty cynical. I answered your question about "a single example."

I believe Peledo covered it for me.

JL is right, why do you even care? You hate BYU. Let it go, brother, let it go.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                Yep, i'm pretty cynical. I answered your question about "a single example."

I believe Peledo covered it for me.

JL is right, why do you even care? You hate BYU. Let it go, brother, let it go.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

So you think it is fear of punishment not a testimony that prohibits alcohol use? Seems pretty cynical

Comment

• Applications to BYU have never been higher.
                    This is false which is easily verified by public data. Of course I think that can mostly be explained by a more difficult application process leading to more applicants self selecting out. That and changing demographics.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoopJahoop View Post
                      This is false which is easily verified by public data. Of course I think that can mostly be explained by a more difficult application process leading to more applicants self selecting out. That and changing demographics.
                      Meh. A distinction without a difference given the context of the discussion. Getting admitted is harder than ever. And BYU will be extending the enrollment cap next year to try to help meet demand.

Also, BYU has one of the highest ratios in the country of accepted students who end up enrolling. Another indicator of a dedicated consumer base.

Comment

Meh. A distinction without a difference given the context of the discussion. Getting admitted is harder than ever. And BYU will be extending the enrollment cap next year to try to help meet demand.

Also, BYU has one of the highest ratios in the country of accepted students who end up enrolling. Another indicator of a dedicated consumer base.
                        That is good news since my daughter will be applying and really wants to go there.

Comment

• Don’t look now, the HCO is going to be reformed soon. It hit the NYT!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/u...onor-code.html
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Isn’t the context that you brought it up to show that people are happy with the HCO? In that context it seems like a pretty big difference that, in fact, apps have been going down. I don’t think the two are related, but I didn’t make the argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoopJahoop View Post
                              Isn’t the context that you brought it up to show that people are happy with the HCO? In that context it seems like a pretty big difference that, in fact, apps have been going down. I don’t think the two are related, but I didn’t make the argument.
                              Ha. You are really stretching.

Comment

Ha. You are really stretching.
                                Why did you bring it up?

Comment

Working...
                                X