X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to give '71 another reason to complain about the Honor Code

In all seriousness, yikes, this is bad.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3770084-1...ual?fullpage=1

I haven't griped about it in a while have I. It is what it is no matter how archaic it is.

This is is totally contrary to a reasonable person's first thought would be. However, I am not condoning the action, but I think it is a result of the honor code itself.

There are false accusations made in Utah county and at BYU at a higher level than most places. I have been told this by actual law enforcement people.

A sexual assault is about a low life action as there is. It is a violation against the weaker (physically) sex which any father fears might happen to their daughter.

While maybe not the equivalent, a false accusation of sexual assault can be devastating to the accused as well.

Comment

Both sexual assault and false claims of sexual assault are evil.

I've investigated child sexual abuse cases in the past. Ugly all the way around. No other way to describe it.

I've seen what can happen to a man when a step-child claims he touched her because she's used to getting her way with mom and wants the new guy out of the house so that things will go back to normal. Also ugly.

Quite frankly, I'm glad I'm no longer in a position to have to assess who is telling the truth and who is lying.

I can certainly see BYU's concern - they don't want to make filing a claim of sexual assault a "get out of jail free" card for the women, thereby encouraging women to do so if they are worried they may be kicked out of school for their behavior. But to re-victimize and re-traumatize the victims of actual sexual assault like this is unconscionable.

Comment

holy cow.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

-----------------------
          Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 09-13-2016, 09:15 AM.
          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
              This is really indefensible. The policy needs to be changed.

The we do not apologize for this statement is just baffling.
              BYU doesn't need to apologize for having an Honor Code. I agree with them on that.

But they may owe a few apologies for their actions as it relates to people who are being looked at for possibly violating said honor code. And they maybe could take a closer look at the consequences the honor code is allowed to enforce on people.

Comment

The comment section of that trib article is going to be huge and stinky.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                  Yeah. There will be a TON of Ute fans commenting there, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
                    Yeah, this whole story is the perfect storm for the social media culture warriors.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

-----------------------
                      Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 09-13-2016, 09:15 AM.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Yikes. This looks really bad. I don't see how BYU wins this battle in the public eye. If students are to be encouraged to report sexual assault, linking it to potential honor code punishment will have the exact opposite effect.

I wonder if this story will gain enough traction to stop honor code investigations in sexual assault cases.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Uh yeah WTF is wrong with people who enforce the Honor Code at BYU?

A girl reports a rape that occurs after she was drinking or doing drugs and you kick her out of school? And you don't apologize for it? So embarrassingly stupid and unkind. Ugh.

Comment

On the one hand people shouldn't expect to divorce themselves from the consequences of their poor choices just because something horrible happened to them. On the other, can't we just decide that they've been punished suffered enough for their poor choices by having something horrible happen to them that we don't need to kick them out of school? There's really no easy answer here, but I welcome the transparency.
                            Last edited by Bo Diddley; 04-13-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

I love byu. I hate the honor code less than the average poster here. But it's a good rule that if someone reports a sexual assault the HC office should stay the hell away and let the police handle it. Yes this may lead to a few more girls making false accusations to avoid HC trouble but it is clearly best to err on the side of compassion for alleged victims, both PR wise and just out of common decency.

Comment

Working...
                              X