Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 160

Thread: Baseball thread 2016

  1. #31
    Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Standing On Corner, Minding Own Business
    Posts
    9,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    You were right. Starts high and drops straight down. Same arm velocity as a fast ball but held and delivered differently. Best curve to throw is 12-6. It's brutal to hit.
    My son's team (12u) has a bunch of kids that throw a knuckle curve, getting 12-6 action with fastball arm speed/arm slot. It's not real consistent yet, but some of them are filthy.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

  2. #32

    Default

    Kyle Dean just hit his 3rd HR of the day to put BYU up 11-5 over Kansas.

  3. #33
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    BYU holds on to win 11-10.

    http://sidearmstats.com/kansas/baseball/

    Kansas won one and lost one to Utah, and lost two to 5th ranked Oregon State. BYU was winning easily but gave up 5 in the ninth.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  4. #34
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    BYU defeated Kansas 8-2 in Lawrence without hitting any homeruns.

    http://byucougars.com/node/111949/#ui-tabs-1
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  5. #35

    Default

    They've won 9 of their first 10. What a start.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  6. #36
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    BYU still rolling. Rucker goes for 8 innings with 10 Ks yesterday. He moves to 3-0 with a 2.59 ERA. Doubleheader today with Buffo on the bump first against and then Hayden in the nightcap. It would be a great day to be at the park. Wish I was still in Provo.

    Niagra isn't any good and BYU should roll through them. Utah up next week. BYU has owned them and I expect that to continue. Then league play opens against Pacific.

    This team is so much fun to watch. They are sloppy at times in the field but I expect that to be cleaned up as they get more experience. Their pitching is picking up the same kind of confidence that their bats have. The best part is this team should be good for a few years. Only 2 seniors on this team and they're adding some legit recruits.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  7. #37
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    32,987

    Default

    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  8. #38
    Kicked to the curb San Juan Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Standing On Corner, Minding Own Business
    Posts
    9,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

  9. #39
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    They won the first game 14-10, after falling behind 8-0 but scored 9 in the fourth and never looked back. Niagara is not any good but it is still fun to watch them do well.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  10. #40
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,563

    Default

    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  11. #41
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Damn Houston and that awesome 8-6 record.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  12. #42
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Who is going to the BYU - Utah game? BYU has a glossy record at 15-1 and Utah has struggled early but played a more difficult schedule, or so it would seem.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  13. #43
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    So what was Law doing during his twelve years down there? Littlewood comes in and seems to have turned it around rather quickly. I know we had two kids from Rexburg that made it to the major leagues and they never got an offer from BYU to play. I think baseball and golf have been the two biggest under preforming programs in Provo these last 15 years.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    So what was Law doing during his twelve years down there? Littlewood comes in and seems to have turned it around rather quickly. I know we had two kids from Rexburg that made it to the major leagues and they never got an offer from BYU to play. I think baseball and golf have been the two biggest under preforming programs in Provo these last 15 years.
    BYU should have been better all those Law years. It always seemed odd to me that in other sports the BYU admin has always been much quicker to fire a coach than they were with baseball. I don't want to see coaches get fired, but the results were ridiculously bad all those years. I can only speculate the perhaps the administration was allowing Law to have a lower standard because they knew they had no interest in putting more resources and support into the program. Fortunately the current administration seems more interested in having a good baseball team, and that's why they made the switch. Good job Coach Littlewood. Let's finally get back to the NCAA tournament.

  15. #45
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    BYU should have been better all those Law years. It always seemed odd to me that in other sports the BYU admin has always been much quicker to fire a coach than they were with baseball. I don't want to see coaches get fired, but the results were ridiculously bad all those years. I can only speculate the perhaps the administration was allowing Law to have a lower standard because they knew they had no interest in putting more resources and support into the program. Fortunately the current administration seems more interested in having a good baseball team, and that's why they made the switch. Good job Coach Littlewood. Let's finally get back to the NCAA tournament.
    Wally can cheer again. Cougars down the Utes 6-0.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  16. #46

    Default

    I watched some of it. Good job Cougars. Utah is bad, but the 16-1 record looks awesome and so is beating the stupid utes. Baseball is very mental and about confidence. The schedule may not have been very hard so far, but the team has the confidence now to take on more challenges. Let's go dominate the WCC now, which is usually a decently good conference in baseball. It frequently has a few ranked teams.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-16-2016 at 08:09 AM.

  17. #47
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I watched some of it. Good job Cougars. Utah is bad, but the 16-1 record looks awesome and so is beating the stupid utes. Baseball is very mental and about confidence. The schedule may not have been very hard so far, but the team has the confidence now to take on more challenges. Let's go dominate the WCC now, which is usually a decently good conference in baseball. It frequently has a few ranked teams.
    This year seems to be a down year, which may boost the Cougs confidence as well.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  18. #48
    Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Free State of Nickajack
    Posts
    4,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    So what was Law doing during his twelve years down there? Littlewood comes in and seems to have turned it around rather quickly. I know we had two kids from Rexburg that made it to the major leagues and they never got an offer from BYU to play. I think baseball and golf have been the two biggest under preforming programs in Provo these last 15 years.
    He was a terrible talent evaluator and generally dickish person (at least to recruits). I think he was personally responsible for UVU having some good years and being the better program for a couple with almost exclusively Utah Valley talent.

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    He was a terrible talent evaluator and generally dickish person (at least to recruits). I think he was personally responsible for UVU having some good years and being the better program for a couple with almost exclusively Utah Valley talent.
    This is exactly right. He chased off some damn good talent. I know a few people who left BYU for UVU because of Vance, and they were starters at BYU. He has major personality quirks.
    *Banned*

  20. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    This is exactly right. He chased off some damn good talent. I know a few people who left BYU for UVU because of Vance, and they were starters at BYU. He has major personality quirks.
    How did he last so many years? The only thing I've been able to come up with is that the administration at BYU for the longest time just didn't care.

  21. #51
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    How did he last so many years? The only thing I've been able to come up with is that the administration at BYU for the longest time just didn't care.
    Compromising photos of somebody in power?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  22. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Compromising photos of somebody in power?
    I have a lot of respect for coach Gary Pullins. He was very successful there for years despite having terrible facilities for so long. I was mad when BYU went through that bad period of leadership with Bateman, Skousen and Hale running the athletic dept. when he was pushed into retirement and Law was hired. One of the reasons I really respect Pullins is that even after being pushed out of coaching and into another athletic dept. job was that he continued to lobby the administration for better facilities until it finally happened. When Larry Miller came with some money to build the softball stadium Pullins was able to get the school to build it back to back with a new baseball stadium. At least, that's what seem to remember happening. Unfortunately Vance Law never capitalized on that. Finally we're winning again and the fans are coming back to the games and filling the seats.

  23. #53

    Default Baseball thread 2016

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I have a lot of respect for coach Gary Pullins. He was very successful there for years despite having terrible facilities for so long. I was mad when BYU went through that bad period of leadership with Bateman, Skousen and Hale running the athletic dept. when he was pushed into retirement and Law was hired. One of the reasons I really respect Pullins is that even after being pushed out of coaching and into another athletic dept. job was that he continued to lobby the administration for better facilities until it finally happened. When Larry Miller came with some money to build the softball stadium Pullins was able to get the school to build it back to back with a new baseball stadium. At least, that's what seem to remember happening. Unfortunately Vance Law never capitalized on that. Finally we're winning again and the fans are coming back to the games and filling the seats.
    The facts that Pullins' wife is a dean at the J-Rube and he had a son on the team probably helped him temper his vitriol a bit.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  24. #54
    Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Free State of Nickajack
    Posts
    4,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    This is exactly right. He chased off some damn good talent. I know a few people who left BYU for UVU because of Vance, and they were starters at BYU. He has major personality quirks.
    My nephew played at UVU and grew up playing with Law's son on traveling teams. When it came time to recruit, he not only got no interest, he got a total rebuff from Law. He felt better about it after he hit a grand slam over the road between Miller Park and the Marriott Center as a junior against the Cougs. He turned out to be an okay player as a first team all-american. The whole UVU roster was full of similar kids while BYU was at a nadir.

  25. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    The facts that Pullins' wife is a dean at the J-Rube and he had a son on the team probably helped him temper his vitriol a bit.
    is taylor pullins their son?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  26. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    is taylor pullins their son?
    Yep. He was a year behind me at JRCLS.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  27. #57
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    The facts that Pullins' wife is a dean at the J-Rube and he had a son on the team probably helped him temper his vitriol a bit.
    I always like Kathy. She was and is a gem of a person.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  28. #58
    Pre-Historic Man
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Allendale County, SC
    Posts
    11,249

    Default

    11th straight win. 19-3 over UOP.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

  29. #59

    Default

    BYU's start is starting to get some national attention now.

    http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/ar...eason-surprise

  30. #60
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,950

    Default

    I'm not a baseball guy, but I am a shameless bandwagon fan when one of my teams (Dodgers, BYU, Nebraska, Creighton) does well. I expect to check on BYU baseball a lot this year (maybe even watch some games on BYUTV!) and will depend a lot on the knowledge of the group here. A couple questions:

    1. How good is the WCC this year? Looking at the standings as the know-nothing fan I am, we have far and away the best Non-conference record.
    2. If we don't win the WCC, how hard is it to get an at-large selection to regionals? Is it realistic for a team like BYU?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •