X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
    Adam Wainwright probably has the best example in the game today:
    Stop.

Last edited by Donuthole; 02-22-2016, 04:01 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

A curve will typically break sooner than a splitter as well. This is partially due to the velocity at which a splitter is thrown and as a result curveballs better have more break because the batter has a chance to see it longer. If the curve doesn't have a ton of movement it "hangs" and those are pitches often hit and hit well.
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
        12-6 curve refers to a straight down break. No side to side movement. A true 12-6 is typically the hardest curve to hit and when hit, it creates a higher amount of ground balls.
        I thought that was a drop ball or a splitter or something else.

I am gonna be so ready to scream out "find da hoe, biggun, come on find da hoe!"

Baseball is really boring, but you people complete me.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Stop.

Fine. Kersh is ok, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Baseball is really boring
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I thought that was a drop ball or a splitter or something else.

I am gonna be so ready to scream out "find da hoe, biggun, come on find da hoe!"

Baseball is really boring, but you people complete me.
              What is the difference between a 12/6 and a sinker? I suppose again it is how it thrown. iirc a sinker is thrown down the index finger.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Btw BYU completed the sweep on Monday. On to Alabama.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

BYU has won six in a row. They haven't done that since Cory Snyder and Wally Joyner played there.

http://byucougars.com/m-baseball/event/2016/samford-0

Comment

Just saw this thread. Very excited for the thread and the Cougs.
                    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                      Just saw this thread. Very excited for the thread and the Cougs.
                      It would be great to have exciting baseball at BYU again. Apparently there is an outfielder who won't play for a few weeks that is expected to contribute significantly. I have many fond memories sitting in the stands watching the ball pop out of the field routinely down west of the MC. I remember sadly when BYU wilted in the heat of Tempe when they were ranked 3d.
                      Last edited by Topper; 02-26-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        It would be great to have exciting baseball at BYU again. Apparently there is an outfielder who won't play for a few weeks that is expected to contribute significantly. I have many fond memories sitting in the stands watching the ball pop out of the field routinely down west of the MC. I remember sadly when BYU wilted in the heat of Tempe when they were ranked 3d.
                        Another one, Kyle Dean, is already lighting it up. He may be BYU's highest rated freshman since Joyner.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                          Another one, Kyle Dean, is already lighting it up. He may be BYU's highest rated freshman since Joyner.
                          The rpis of the teams they have played are not stellar but I will take what we can get. As usual the weakness is enough pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                            The rpis of the teams they have played are not stellar but I will take what we can get. As usual the weakness is enough pitching.
                            RPI after playing two teams is meaningless. SLU was the A-10 champ last year and are picked to win their conference again. Samford is also no slouch. They led the nation in home runs last year. They were picked to win the conference this year. The Southern Conference is a good baseball conference. Kyle Lewis of Mercer will go in the top 10. Samford put up over 50 runs on Butler in their opening series with 9 homers. They have All-American Heath Quinn who has 7 HR and 17 RBIs in 7 games this season. He hit 4 today in the doubleheader. He was the Louisville Slugger player of the week last week. He's ranked in the top 50 and will be a 1st/2nd round pick. He was drafted in the 12th round by the Indians out of HS.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

BYU wins 6-4.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I could go along and pretend like I know what is meant by a 12/6 curve ball but I don't. Are you talking like a clock where the ball moves from 12 to 6? I would think a 3 to 9 or 9 to 3 would be more impressive but that is so intuitively obvious I am assuming that is not what you mean.

I did watch Vin Scully commentate Dodger games on KTTV Channel 11 back in the day as well as Turner's "America's Team" on TBS so I get some baseball, but apparently not as much as I thought.
                                You were right. Starts high and drops straight down. Same arm velocity as a fast ball but held and delivered differently. Best curve to throw is 12-6. It's brutal to hit.

Comment

Working...
                                X