Baseball thread 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball thread 2016

BYU is predicted to finish fifth. First game for super recruit Kyle Dean who batted 4-5 with a home run.

BYU wins 21-7 over St.Louis and plays a double header.

http://byucougars.com/m-baseball/ruc...-season-opener
    Last edited by Topper; 02-20-2016, 01:53 PM.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

BYU took a double header against St. Louis University, 5-0 and 11-3. St. Louis won the A-10 and is favored to win its conference again.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

BYU baseball wins its first three games of the season. They haven't started off like that since 1998. Super recruit freshman Kyle Dean has been as good as advertised.

Comment

In my memory BYU has had 3 decent teams since the internet came along and I could track them. They were good with that skinny junk ball pitcher, Fernley I think was his name, in 2001. Then in 2002 they had some decent hitting with a Vegas stud home from his mission and he played at BYU before going pro, Dave Jensen I think. Then they had a decent run in 2005 before falling apart and choking against TCU in the MWC tourney. Other than that I think it has been decent at times but forgettable often. It sounds like this year they are starting to put things together again. Perhaps being in the WCC is doing the same thing for BYU baseball it did for Women's soccer and volleyball just that the women's sports were starting at a higher level and the mission deal slowed down the progress.
        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Key for this team will be finding that 2nd starter behind Rucker (the Gonzaga transfer). He is a best and is going to be very good. If Maverick Buffo (former Spanish Fork Don) can be that guy, this team can go far. Buffo threw 8 shutout innings in his first start of the season.

This team can definitely mash though. They return some big bats from last year and they add Dean and Favero (fresh off his mission) to that lineup.
          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
            In my memory BYU has had 3 decent teams since the internet came along and I could track them. They were good with that skinny junk ball pitcher, Fernley I think was his name, in 2001. Then in 2002 they had some decent hitting with a Vegas stud home from his mission and he played at BYU before going pro, Dave Jensen I think. Then they had a decent run in 2005 before falling apart and choking against TCU in the MWC tourney. Other than that I think it has been decent at times but forgettable often. It sounds like this year they are starting to put things together again. Perhaps being in the WCC is doing the same thing for BYU baseball it did for Women's soccer and volleyball just that the women's sports were starting at a higher level and the mission deal slowed down the progress.
            The 2001 team had Fernley who went something like 16-2, it had future major leaguer Matt Carson and Cameron Coughlan, and of course it was loaded with Spanish Fork Dons (Matt Ward, Brad Hales, Casey Cloward).

In 2007 they were decent, lost in the MWC championship game to TCU. Jesse Craig was a stud that year.

2013 they had so much potential but they also had shitty Vance Law leading the way. Jacob Hanneman, Brugman, Desmond Poulson. I remember early in the year they upset #2 LSU but they lost in the WCC tourney.
            *Banned*

Comment

2013 was actually Littlewood's first year. Yes, they had 4 or 5 really good players and then nothing else. That was the problem with that team. And what they did in terms of w/l record and WCC play was thought at the time to have been overachieving. They were picked almost dead last in the WCC that year. This is the best team Littlewood has had by far. He's raised the bar in recruiting and it's now going to pay off.

Comment

Seth Corry will be good at the Y in a few years if he doesn't go pro right out of HS. Lefty clocked at 95 last summer with a 12/6 curve ball, great accuracy and a big stick. Only soph on the All-State roster.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                  Seth Corry will be good at the Y in a few years if he doesn't go pro right out of HS. Lefty clocked at 95 last summer with a 12/6 curve ball, great accuracy and a big stick. Only soph on the All-State roster.
                  I could go along and pretend like I know what is meant by a 12/6 curve ball but I don't. Are you talking like a clock where the ball moves from 12 to 6? I would think a 3 to 9 or 9 to 3 would be more impressive but that is so intuitively obvious I am assuming that is not what you mean.

I did watch Vin Scully commentate Dodger games on KTTV Channel 11 back in the day as well as Turner's "America's Team" on TBS so I get some baseball, but apparently not as much as I thought.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

12-6 curve refers to a straight down break. No side to side movement. A true 12-6 is typically the hardest curve to hit and when hit, it creates a higher amount of ground balls.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                      12-6 curve refers to a straight down break. No side to side movement. A true 12-6 is typically the hardest curve to hit and when hit, it creates a higher amount of ground balls.
                      Whats different between a 12/6 curve and a splitter or a fork ball?
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The ball is gripped and thrown differently than those other pitches resulting in a different speed and movement. A curveball is going to have much more movement than a splitter or fork ball.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                          The ball is gripped and thrown differently than those other pitches resulting in a different speed and movement. A curveball is going to have much more movement than a splitter or fork ball.
                          Really? It seems like splitters just dive to the dirt. I know very little about it, however.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            Really? It seems like splitters just dive to the dirt. I know very little about it, however.
                            curve ball starts higher...head high in many instances
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                              I could go along and pretend like I know what is meant by a 12/6 curve ball but I don't. Are you talking like a clock where the ball moves from 12 to 6? I would think a 3 to 9 or 9 to 3 would be more impressive but that is so intuitively obvious I am assuming that is not what you mean.

I did watch Vin Scully commentate Dodger games on KTTV Channel 11 back in the day as well as Turner's "America's Team" on TBS so I get some baseball, but apparently not as much as I thought.
                              Adam Wainwright probably has the best example in the game today:

Comment

Working...
                              X