No announcement yet.

Baseball thread 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched some of it. Good job Cougars. Utah is bad, but the 16-1 record looks awesome and so is beating the stupid utes. Baseball is very mental and about confidence. The schedule may not have been very hard so far, but the team has the confidence now to take on more challenges. Let's go dominate the WCC now, which is usually a decently good conference in baseball. It frequently has a few ranked teams.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-16-2016, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      I watched some of it. Good job Cougars. Utah is bad, but the 16-1 record looks awesome and so is beating the stupid utes. Baseball is very mental and about confidence. The schedule may not have been very hard so far, but the team has the confidence now to take on more challenges. Let's go dominate the WCC now, which is usually a decently good conference in baseball. It frequently has a few ranked teams.
      This year seems to be a down year, which may boost the Cougs confidence as well.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
        So what was Law doing during his twelve years down there? Littlewood comes in and seems to have turned it around rather quickly. I know we had two kids from Rexburg that made it to the major leagues and they never got an offer from BYU to play. I think baseball and golf have been the two biggest under preforming programs in Provo these last 15 years.
        He was a terrible talent evaluator and generally dickish person (at least to recruits). I think he was personally responsible for UVU having some good years and being the better program for a couple with almost exclusively Utah Valley talent.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
          He was a terrible talent evaluator and generally dickish person (at least to recruits). I think he was personally responsible for UVU having some good years and being the better program for a couple with almost exclusively Utah Valley talent.
          This is exactly right. He chased off some damn good talent. I know a few people who left BYU for UVU because of Vance, and they were starters at BYU. He has major personality quirks.
          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
            This is exactly right. He chased off some damn good talent. I know a few people who left BYU for UVU because of Vance, and they were starters at BYU. He has major personality quirks.
            How did he last so many years? The only thing I've been able to come up with is that the administration at BYU for the longest time just didn't care.

Comment

How did he last so many years? The only thing I've been able to come up with is that the administration at BYU for the longest time just didn't care.
              Compromising photos of somebody in power?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                Compromising photos of somebody in power?
                I have a lot of respect for coach Gary Pullins. He was very successful there for years despite having terrible facilities for so long. I was mad when BYU went through that bad period of leadership with Bateman, Skousen and Hale running the athletic dept. when he was pushed into retirement and Law was hired. One of the reasons I really respect Pullins is that even after being pushed out of coaching and into another athletic dept. job was that he continued to lobby the administration for better facilities until it finally happened. When Larry Miller came with some money to build the softball stadium Pullins was able to get the school to build it back to back with a new baseball stadium. At least, that's what seem to remember happening. Unfortunately Vance Law never capitalized on that. Finally we're winning again and the fans are coming back to the games and filling the seats.

Comment

Baseball thread 2016

I have a lot of respect for coach Gary Pullins. He was very successful there for years despite having terrible facilities for so long. I was mad when BYU went through that bad period of leadership with Bateman, Skousen and Hale running the athletic dept. when he was pushed into retirement and Law was hired. One of the reasons I really respect Pullins is that even after being pushed out of coaching and into another athletic dept. job was that he continued to lobby the administration for better facilities until it finally happened. When Larry Miller came with some money to build the softball stadium Pullins was able to get the school to build it back to back with a new baseball stadium. At least, that's what seem to remember happening. Unfortunately Vance Law never capitalized on that. Finally we're winning again and the fans are coming back to the games and filling the seats.
                  The facts that Pullins' wife is a dean at the J-Rube and he had a son on the team probably helped him temper his vitriol a bit.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    My nephew played at UVU and grew up playing with Law's son on traveling teams. When it came time to recruit, he not only got no interest, he got a total rebuff from Law. He felt better about it after he hit a grand slam over the road between Miller Park and the Marriott Center as a junior against the Cougs. He turned out to be an okay player as a first team all-american. The whole UVU roster was full of similar kids while BYU was at a nadir.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      The facts that Pullins' wife is a dean at the J-Rube and he had a son on the team probably helped him temper his vitriol a bit.
                      is taylor pullins their son?
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                        is taylor pullins their son?
                        Yep. He was a year behind me at JRCLS.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          I always like Kathy. She was and is a gem of a person.

Comment

11th straight win. 19-3 over UOP.

Comment

BYU's start is starting to get some national attention now.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/ar...eason-surprise

Comment

I'm not a baseball guy, but I am a shameless bandwagon fan when one of my teams (Dodgers, BYU, Nebraska, Creighton) does well. I expect to check on BYU baseball a lot this year (maybe even watch some games on BYUTV!) and will depend a lot on the knowledge of the group here. A couple questions:

1. How good is the WCC this year? Looking at the standings as the know-nothing fan I am, we have far and away the best Non-conference record.
                                2. If we don't win the WCC, how hard is it to get an at-large selection to regionals? Is it realistic for a team like BYU?

Comment

Working...
                                X