Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Men's volleyball 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I saw the last three points of the fifth set last night. It looked like it was a hard-fought match.
    BYU was rolling the first 2 sets but they couldn't pass worth crap which allowed UCSB to take sets 3 and 4. BYU was hitting really well all night. BYU is the best team in the country and it's not even really close. They're not a team that will get overpowered by anyone. They lose when they don't take care of the ball.

But UCSB had a good game plan. They took advantage of BYU's generally easy serving by bringing everyone up on the jump floaters so they could pass the ball overhead. This led to good, quick passes resulting in the middle being wide open all night. They're also a very scrappy defensive team. Not many balls hit the floor without a touch. In the end I think it was good for them to have a grinding match like that so they're focused going into the final and NCAA tourney.

Penn State was upset last night by Saint Francis. This was huge. PSU has won 17 straight EIVA titles (It's a terrible conference). But this means they're out and they're hosting the NCAA tourney this year. Unfortunately this also means that Stanford likely gets an at large now and will face BYU in the semifinal.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    BYU was rolling the first 2 sets but they couldn't pass worth crap which allowed UCSB to take sets 3 and 4. BYU was hitting really well all night. BYU is the best team in the country and it's not even really close. They're not a team that will get overpowered by anyone. They lose when they don't take care of the ball.

But UCSB had a good game plan. They took advantage of BYU's generally easy serving by bringing everyone up on the jump floaters so they could pass the ball overhead. This led to good, quick passes resulting in the middle being wide open all night. They're also a very scrappy defensive team. Not many balls hit the floor without a touch. In the end I think it was good for them to have a grinding match like that so they're focused going into the final and NCAA tourney.

Penn State was upset last night by Saint Francis. This was huge. PSU has won 17 straight EIVA titles (It's a terrible conference). But this means they're out and they're hosting the NCAA tourney this year. Unfortunately this also means that Stanford likely gets an at large now and will face BYU in the semifinal.
    Totally agree ... I also think BYU has trouble with big/tall setters. Given weakness on the serve the tall setter takes advantage of our aggressive blocking (the little second hit dump was very effective ... Stanford was also able to do this against us).

In the 4th and 5th set the SFH was really rocking. I don't know if it came across on the byutv feed but it was the loudest I've heard it this season which was impressive given the non-student/student ratio was much higher than the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    Totally agree ... I also think BYU has trouble with big/tall setters. Given weakness on the serve the tall setter takes advantage of our aggressive blocking (the little second hit dump was very effective ... Stanford was also able to this against us).

In the 4th and 5th set the SFH was really rocking. I don't know if it came across on the byutv feed but it was the loudest I've heard it this season which was impressive given the non-student/student ratio was much higher than the regular season.
    Yes. The SFH sounded and looked great on TV.

If BYU makes the final I am thinking of heading to Happy Valley to watch. I really want to watch Patch in person. I am not sure people appreciate how amazing he is as a hitter. He had a couple hits last night that just blew me away. The one where he went over the triple block. My goodness. He is special.
    -Turtle

Totally agree ... I also think BYU has trouble with big/tall setters. Given weakness on the serve the tall setter takes advantage of our aggressive blocking (the little second hit dump was very effective ... Stanford was also able to do this against us).

Yeah, that was a blast. Can't wait for Saturday.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Given weakness on the serve
    I saw that one serve at the end that didn't even make it to the net.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I saw that one serve at the end that didn't even make it to the net.
    There were several. Kind of a weak night serving. Langlois and Sander are our two best servers and they struggled at times. We only had two aces and they were both from lobs by Durkin.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

BYU's firing on all cylinders right now against UCLA.

Nice win boys.

That was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That was a blast.

It was ... most fun I've had at a sporting event in quite a while.

What year is Sander the Younger? Sophomore like Patch? And Legolas?

Patch is a freak, and Sander is not far behind.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed mostówatching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    What year is Sander the Younger? Sophomore like Patch? And Legolas?

Patch is a freak, and Sander is not far behind.
    Sander = Sophomore and Langlois = Junior

BYU gets the #1 seed as expected but after that all the bracketologists struck out. LBSU gets the 2nd at large over Stanford. Not sure about that. Stanford had better metrics but their late season slide I think hurt them. Also, most expected Ohio State to get the #2 seed but that went to UCLA and Ohio State in the #1 at large team. Metrics love Ohio State, but the MIVA was down this year and needing all of 5 games to put away Lewis for the championship hurt. Still the selection committee went away from their usual metrics. They wanted more cross conference play and I think the match between tOSU and UCLA was the difference there.

Interesting tournament. Olmsted said last night that BYU will see UCLA again and the tournament is set up for just that.
    -Turtle

I thought Sander played the best last night (of course having Patch on the other side makes it much easier for Sander) but this was quite the play by Patch :

I thought Sander played the best last night (of course having Patch on the other side makes it much easier for Sander) but this was quite the play by Patch :

I am in that video.

So Massey does do a Men's Volleyball statistical model. It's probably reasonable (and I haven't had time to do my own). I'm guessing it's essentially a linear set margin of victory model (3-0, 3-1, etc). It hasn't been updated to include the last couple of matches which will no doubt tilt things a little bit more in BYU's favor:

BYU v. Long Beach St: 69%
    BYU v. UCLA: 68%

So joint probability assuming independence: 48%. If it included the last couple of matches I bet the joint probability of winning both is a bit above 50% (and given BYU's dominance of UCLA it might be understating the odds for UCLA). Obviously if BYU ends up playing others (like Ohio State) the joint probability would be higher.
    Last edited by pelagius; 04-24-2016 at 09:21 PM.

[YOUTUBE]FhPbBAXcW08[/YOUTUBE]

BYU and UCLA are the #1 and #2 seeds, respectively, for the national championship tournament. It still catches my attention how deep the MPSF is. Here are the MPSF tournament 1-8 seeds and their national rankings in today's coaches' poll:
    Team MPSF Tournament Seed National Ranking
    BYU 1 1
    UCLA 2 3
    Long Beach State 3 4
    Stanford 4 6
    UCSB 5 5
    Pepperdine 6 7
    Hawaii 7 8
    UC Irvine 8 16

The mean national ranking of the eight teams that played in the MPSF tournament is 6.25; the mean national ranking of the six teams in the national championship tournament is 6.33.

Cougs vanquish LBSU 3-1 and are headed to the championship game!!

Sweet! DVR is set for Saturday night.

OSU leads UCLA 10-9 in the 5th set.

Ohio State wins.

Ohio St advances 18-16 in set 5.

I'm really tempted to haul the family out to this one. It's about a four hour drive. If work wasn't crushingly busy right now it would be a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I'm really tempted to haul the family out to this one. It's about a four hour drive. If work wasn't crushingly busy right now it would be a no-brainer.
    Do it or no one here will ever respect you again!

I've never cared about volleyball, but if BYU beat Ohio State in a national championship I'd be beyond happy.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Do it or no one here will ever respect you again!
    I never should have said anything.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    I've never cared about volleyball, but if BYU beat Ohio State in a national championship I'd be beyond happy.
    Has BYU ever defeated Ohio State in any sport, where it involved head to head competition? Perhaps golf many decades ago. I enjoy watching volleyball but it has been more than a decade since BYU won a national championship. Go Cougs!
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Has BYU ever defeated Ohio State in any sport, where it involved head to head competition? Perhaps golf many decades ago. I enjoy watching volleyball but it has been more than a decade since BYU won a national championship. Go Cougs!
    BYU Men's volleyball is 11-4 all time against the Buckeyes, so yes.

In other sports, BYU is 3-4 all time OSU in basketball, 0-3 in football, 2-2 in baseball, 1-0 in Women's basketball, 1-0 in men's tennis, 1-2 in women's softball, and 7-0 in women's volleyball. It appears that the Buckeyes have been too chicken to schedule us in women's soccer and women's tennis, which I guess is not surprising, given our dominating 26-15 all-time, all-sports record against them.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I never should have said anything.
    Don't listen to him. There is a very good chance that I would eventually come to respect you, in some way or another.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν