Men's volleyball 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's volleyball 2016

First match tonight vs Loyola Chicago. BYU took the first set 25-19.

Ben Patch has had some monster hits.

Patch is really fun to watch

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      Patch is really fun to watch
      He's a monster!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        He's a monster!
        Are you talking about Big Head? I understand he was there very prominently.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Are you talking about Big Head? I understand he was there very prominently.
          Yes! I thought he was lost, but he has been found.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Yes! I thought he was lost, but he has been found.

A prodigal son.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

What a different looking BYU team. The pin player are huge! Big Ben is absolutely nasty and amazingly deceptive. He has also finally learned to block with his hands instead of his arms. As a Frosh, he was a nice hitter but an average blocker from a technique perspective. Last night he looked amazing as a hitter and very clean as a blocker.

I'm worried about our setter. My belief is that BYU's Achilles is always at setter. We have had NC type teams with average setting that haven't finished where the talent looked like they should. Ask Taylor. This team could have that problem. Our S was iffy on location and was scared to use our MB consistently enough. Luckily, Langlois (sp), Sander, and Patch can all be effective against a double block and Patch is efficient against a triple.

Shawn's a great coach with v-ball blood. I expect he gets us a NC in the next 3 years.

Comment

Five of the six starters last night were sophomores. The next few years are going to be fun.

Comment

They mentioned on the broadcast something about 2 BYU players leaving the program recently for unknown reasons. Anyone know what that's about?

Comment

Btw, why can't there be another college sports forum to discuss BYU women's sports and the non-revenue sports?
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      They mentioned on the broadcast something about 2 BYU players leaving the program recently for unknown reasons. Anyone know what that's about?
                      I missed that, and the first set, do you recall the names?

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                        Tyler Heap (last year's setter) left. I don't know anything about it but I'm guessing he might have lost his starting position.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                          Tyler Heap (last year's setter) left. I don't know anything about it but I'm guessing he might have lost his starting position.
                          The coach said that it was a personal decision, not a coaching decision. Can't remember the exact way he worded it, but it was clear it he was not pushed or booted.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                            Tyler Heap left the team which is a big loss as he and Sutton split time setting last year. I can't recall the other, but I thought Chandler Gibb was supposed to be challenging for the librero position and I don't see him on the roster anymore either. So I wonder what happened to him.

I agree that the setting last night left plenty to be desired. Fortunately we have some supremely talented hitters and jumpers. As long as it is high and off the net they can hit around the block. I wonder if we'll see Sutton tonight.

I am also worried about our librero. He wasn't nearly aggressive enough last night IMO. I'd like to see him take charge of that back row.

This team though has a chance to be really special. Ben Patch is the difference. Man he is phenomenal. I think he could be the best ever when he's done in Provo.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              This team though has a chance to be really special. Ben Patch is the difference. Man he is phenomenal. I think he could be the best ever when he's done in Provo.
                              Agreed 100%. I've thought he had that potential ever since his Jr year of HS when I saw him play in a college club tourney at the U. I love that he is willing to swing flat even though he's swinging at 12'. It's an international swing and impossible to deal with unless you're blocking at 11'6".

Heap was out of shape and seemed to have lost his desire to be good last year.

Gibb was a good young player out of the OC. I played some sand against him last year and was impressed.

I agree libero lacked aggression but I didn't mid cause his ball skills seemed poor for a libero or ds.

Comment

Working...
                              X