Machu Picchu suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machu Picchu suggestions

Does anyone have advice for a machu Picchu trek? Suggestions for a tour group? 4, 5 or 7 day treks? All input appreciated
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

The treks would be fun to do. I just kicked it in Cuzco for a few days and took the train down to Aguas Calientes at my leisure (I think it's called Pueblo Machu Picchu now or something). I heard you actually have to be somewhat in shape to do the Incan Trail treks or whatever, though.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Does anyone have advice for a machu Picchu trek? Suggestions for a tour group? 4, 5 or 7 day treks? All input appreciated
      Don't go with lebowski. The two of you will fight the whole way.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
        Don't go with lebowski. The two of you will fight the whole way.
        Good advice. He would just tell me how I keep saying the same Thing and root canal and so on. Sadly, he is probably correct.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Good advice. He would just tell me how I keep saying the same Thing and root canal and so on. Sadly, he is probably correct.
          He may actually decide that having a discussion with you is better than getting some dude along the trail to give him a root canal. But you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
            The treks would be fun to do. I just kicked it in Cuzco for a few days and took the train down to Aguas Calientes at my leisure (I think it's called Pueblo Machu Picchu now or something). I heard you actually have to be somewhat in shape to do the Incan Trail treks or whatever, though.
            I second this suggestion.

The hotels next to the river in Aguas Calientes are fun because you can hear the river rolling through.

Be sure to register for your climbs for Mach Picchu and Huayna Picchu in advance; otherwise you might get excluded from the route you want. I imagine you will want to hike to the top of those two peaks. There are also five to seven day hikes out of Cuzco to Aguas Calientes, which many have enjoyed. And of course, there are buses to the top for those who don't wish to hike it. They will tell you it takes two hours to the top of Machu Picchu, but in reality it takes about 45 to 50 minutes. It is extremely laid back and easy. Huayna Picchu is also not to difficult.

Another advantage of coming from Cuzco is Cuzco is at a higher elevation so acclimation is already accomplished.
            Last edited by Topper; 01-04-2016, 11:29 AM.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
              I second this suggestion.

The hotels next to the river in Aguas Calientes are fun because you can hear the river rolling through.

Be sure to register for your climbs for Mach Picchu and Huayna Picchu in advance; otherwise you might get excluded from the route you want. I imagine you will want to hike to the top of those two peaks. There are also five to seven day hikes out of Cuzco to Aguas Calientes, which many have enjoyed. And of course, there are buses to the top for those who don't wish to hike it. They will tell you it takes two hours to the top of Machu Picchu, but in reality it takes about 45 to 50 minutes. It is extremely laid back and easy. Huayna Picchu is also not to difficult.

Another advantage of coming from Cuzco is Cuzco is at a higher elevation so acclimation is already accomplished.
              Lots of good advice here.

We (pretty much the whole fam-damn-ly, including my 8 year old son) did Machu/Hayna Picchu. It wasn't bad at all. I have seen worst trails in Texas.

It may be worth it to pay a guide if you have a large group. Like topper said you have to get your reservations way in advance. We stayed in a hotel on the river in Aguas Calientes. It was awesome.

While in Peru be sure to see Lake Titicaca and the floating reed islands. Also, get some Ceviche and Cuy. Damn tasty.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Lots of good advice here.

We (pretty much the whole fam-damn-ly, including my 8 year old son) did Machu/Hayna Picchu. It wasn't bad at all. I have seen worst trails in Texas.

It may be worth it to pay a guide if you have a large group. Like topper said you have to get your reservations way in advance. We stayed in a hotel on the river in Aguas Calientes. It was awesome.

While in Peru be sure to see Lake Titicaca and the floating reed islands. Also, get some Ceviche and Cuy. Damn tasty.
                My wife refused the tasty guinea pigs. Additionally, it costs about twice the cost of chicken. Of course, for a well-endowed man such as creekster, that's no concern.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I've never been, but I'd check out the ruins.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    My wife refused the tasty guinea pigs. Additionally, it costs about twice the cost of chicken. Of course, for a well-endowed man such as creekster, that's no concern.
                    IMHO, BBQ Cuy is very good and worth the extra money. And their little claws make good toothpicks.

I have been trying to convince my kids and the wife to let me get some guinea pigs for BBQ'ing pets but I have been overruled so far.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I am sure everyone has been waiting with bated breath to lean what we ended up doing. Generally following some suggestions here, we ended up doing the 5 day trek from Mollepata to Machu Picchu over the salkantay pass (elevation 15,250). We also did Huayna Picchu. We had some cuy, roasted some coffee, saw a bunch of ruins, enjoyed some excellent cebiche and generally had a great time.

HFN's suggestion to see the ruins was a good one. Well worth it. We did not make it down to Lake Titicaca (although I still enjoy saying it), but maybe we will do that some other time. A good trip Machu Picchu is well worth it.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Going again in January.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                          Going again in January.
                          Really? Let me know if you want any Cusco restaurant recommendations.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I am sure everyone has been waiting with bated breath to lean what we ended up doing. Generally following some suggestions here, we ended up doing the 5 day trek from Mollepata to Machu Picchu over the salkantay pass (elevation 15,250). We also did Huayna Picchu. We had some cuy, roasted some coffee, saw a bunch of ruins, enjoyed some excellent cebiche and generally had a great time.

HFN's suggestion to see the ruins was a good one. Well worth it. We did not make it down to Lake Titicaca (although I still enjoy saying it), but maybe we will do that some other time. A good trip Machu Picchu is well worth it.
                            What the heck, cr33k?
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              What the heck, cr33k?
                              What happens at Machu Picchu stays at Machu Picchu, except that he posted it on the internets.

Comment

Working...
                              X