Mormon Women Stand for something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon Women Stand for something

I thought I had started a thread dedicated to awesome stuff posted by MWS. If I did, then I can't find it. However, this article deserves to be posted and ridiculed: http://www.mormonwomenstand.com/jose...s-christmases/

As commercial as Jesus Christ’s birth has become, because of Santa Claus, mall shopping, and setting the perfect table, Latter-day Saints have an opportunity to pause to celebrate quietly the birth of one of the best men who ever lived. In celebrating Joseph’s birth, we are also celebrating the Christ child’s birth. Note the similarities:

- Both were born to poor parents who did not own their own homes.
    - We know little about the growing years of either one other than at age twelve Jesus taught the priests in the synagogue and Joseph, at the age of seven, refused liquor to dull the pain of operating on his infected leg, which was a profound lesson to the doctor.
    - After a short life and ministry, they both died before their 40th birthday.
    - And both left a legacy of believers and have transformed the world.

Based on those similarities I'm surprised people don't confuse Joseph and Jesus more often.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Sheesh. No wonder we don't let women have the priesthood.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
      Sheesh. No wonder we don't let women have the priesthood.
      This is what you do to so many of your women--metaphysically lobotomize them.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        This is what you do to so many of your women--metaphysically lobotomize them.
        Is this statement from the part of your work where you never criticize someone for a sincere belief or is this the more general religion of kindness?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

How could someone think we worship Joseph Smith? Well, because some of us actually do.

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

The whole "refusing liquor" myth is just too awesome. The author encourages everybody to learn something new about Church History in her bio. She should learn about Joseph's consumption of alcohol as an adult -- the dude was not teaching doctors about the Word of Wisdom at age 7 and Mormons don't believe in avoiding analgesia/anesthesia.

Comment

I love the last line: 'Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Joseph!"

There is a very fine line between revere and worship for some members.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                The whole "refusing liquor" myth is just too awesome. The author encourages everybody to learn something new about Church History in her bio. She should learn about Joseph's consumption of alcohol as an adult -- the dude was not teaching doctors about the Word of Wisdom at age 7 and Mormons don't believe in avoiding analgesia/anesthesia.
                On the day of his assassination, Willard Richards (I believe) and he drank a bottle of red wine. It's in volume Six of the History of the Church.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  On the day of his assassination, Willard Richards (I believe) and he drank a bottle of red wine. It's in volume Six of the History of the Church.
                  Yeah, but "wine" was different back then.
                  I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    IIRC, it was the night before that they drank wine. Also, he wasn't wearing his garments (neither was Hyrum) because it was so hot. None of that changes the ridiculousness of the article.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      Yeah, it wasn't as "refined."
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I’m not sure any of us can picture Jesus Christ exhibiting this behavior, but it is well known that Joseph loved to play with the children.
                        Thankfully, some of us can.

Jesus basketball.jpg
                        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Also, he wasn't wearing his garments (neither was Hyrum) because it was so hot.
                          They didn't have mesh back then. They can't be held accountable.

Too bad, though-- they probably would have survived if they had the shield and protection of the garment.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            IIRC, it was the night before that they drank wine. Also, he wasn't wearing his garments (neither was Hyrum) because it was so hot. None of that changes the ridiculousness of the article.
                            I believe Willard Richards was the only one of the four incarcerated brethren who was wearing garments, and was the only one who emerged unscathed from the attack, lending support to the garments-as-shield lore.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              Yep, they hadn't figured out how to ferment grapes by the 19th century.

Btw, that has to be one of the top 3 dumbest bits of Mormon lore. I wouldn't be surprised if man learned how to ferment different plant items before they domesticated dogs and invented farming.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                              X