Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Lol.

Funny how we want the church to butt out and let people express a variety of ideas. Until we don’t agree with the ideas. Then they need to drop the hammer!
    You're capable of more nuance that this. This isn't some mommy blog by the Pri Pres in the Draper 106th ward. It's a blog that was pretty much started at the request of church leadership in response to the Ordain Women movement. It's a much higher profile blog than most. And no, it shouldn't be regulated, but when it is teaching something contrary to current church teachings then the church would be wise to do something...like contact them and let them know they are wrong.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      You're capable of more nuance that this. This isn't some mommy blog by the Pri Pres in the Draper 106th ward. It's a blog that was pretty much started at the request of church leadership in response to the Ordain Women movement. It's a much higher profile blog than most. And no, it shouldn't be regulated, but when it is teaching something contrary to current church teachings then the church would be wise to do something...like contact them and let them know they are wrong.
      Link? Evidence?

If they have to contact them periodically to regulate content then it becomes an official mouthpiece of the church. Which is precisely why they don't (and shouldn't) micromanage it.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        bump.

Did wuap end up leaving the Church or is he still plying for attention by perennially threatening to leave?
        I don't know, but it sure is classy to shove people out the door, when you could just ignore him.

Comment

This is a hill you are ready to die on obviously. Please bump this thread when the next outrageous article is published. What RSS feed reader do you use?

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          I don't know, but it sure is classy to shove people out the door, when you could just ignore him.
          Still true.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

The church no longer advocates for gay transformation
            Show me something from an official church channel that is inconsistent with what she advocates in her blog. I bet most of the Q12, if not all, would read that and think she is a good and faithful servant.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
              Show me something from an official church channel that is inconsistent with what she advocates in her blog. I bet most of the Q12, if not all, would read that and think she is a good and faithful servant.
              Funk checking off another ex-mo stereotype: Insist that all LDS leaders are raging fundamentalists.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Funk checking off another ex-mo stereotype: Insist that all LDS leaders are raging fundamentalists.
                Dude the concept that she advocates for is not a fundamentalist Mormon belief. If you look at an eternal perspective and believe the LDS church, transformation from the sinful gay will occur whether in this life or eternity.

This isn't the same as saying the Mormon church believes in reparative therapy. To their credit, they have at least condemned abusive therapy practices.
                Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 07-16-2018, 01:09 PM.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Contact them and let them know it is wrong? Gee, that sounds practical. Just how wrong would something need to be before the church is not just wrong but also immoral in not contacting the author? What if it is just a little wrong? What if it is an unfortunate typo that results in an inapposite meaning? And what do they say? Just a statement that "you are wrong, please remove the offending content?" Or do they need to correct the inaccuracy with the correct information? And who must be responsible for writing these little sermonettes?

Try thinking through how this would play out: someone at the church would be tasked with trolling the interwebs looking for content from active/current members that is "contrary to current church teachings" and then, presumably, would need to confirm the member's status, confirm that there is a contrary teaching that would most wisely be corrected, and then someone would need to be tasked with writing some sort of correcting note which it self will almost certainly be published and seen as doctrine, which itself results in the ossification of church policy and doctrine and will make it even harder to move the needle on changing old policies. Are you SURE this is wise?

It sounds like what you are looking for is something like the Spanish inquisition except the inquisition comes to YOUR house.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Contact them and let them know it is wrong? Gee, that sounds practical. Just how wrong would something need to be before the church is not just wrong but also immoral in not contacting the author? What if it is just a little wrong? What if it is an unfortunate typo that results in an inapposite meaning? And what do they say? Just a statement that "you are wrong, please remove the offending content?" Or do they need to correct the inaccuracy with the correct information? And who must be responsible for writing these little sermonettes?

Try thinking through how this would play out: someone at the church would be tasked with trolling the interwebs looking for content from active/current members that is "contrary to current church teachings" and then, presumably, would need to confirm the member's status, confirm that there is a contrary teaching that would most wisely be corrected, and then someone would need to be tasked with writing some sort of correcting note which it self will almost certainly be published and seen as doctrine, which itself results in the ossification of church policy and doctrine and will make it even harder to move the needle on changing old policies. Are you SURE this is wise?

It sounds like what you are looking for is something like the Spanish inquisition except the inquisition comes to YOUR house.
                    This part shouldn't be too hard since these bloggers are on the church's payroll.
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                      This part shouldn't be too hard since these bloggers are on the church's payroll.
                      It's a living allowance, not payroll. The LDS church has unpaid clergy.
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        It's a living allowance, not payroll. The LDS church has unpaid clergy.
                        Check off another stereotype!

Comment

Link? Evidence?

If they have to contact them periodically to regulate content then it becomes an official mouthpiece of the church. Which is precisely why they don't (and shouldn't) micromanage it.
                          http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...74&itype=CMSID

I guess you’re right. It definitely wasn’t started in response to OW, as per the words of the MWS group :rollseyes:
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...74&itype=CMSID

I guess you’re right. It definitely wasn’t started in response to OW, as per the words of the MWS group :rollseyes:
                            This is proof it was "started at the request of church leadership in response to the Ordain Women movement."?

"We're not the church," Skaggs said in an email Tuesday.
                            Her group was not meant, Skaggs said, as a reaction to Ordain Women.
                            Craynor declined to comment on whether Otterson's statement of "support" constituted an "endorsement" of the group, or what the two parties talked about for an hour and a half.
                            And you mock my lack of nuance. Ha.

Comment

This is proof it was "started at the request of church leadership in response to the Ordain Women movement."?

And you mock my lack of nuance. Ha.
                              I said it was pretty much started by the church, not that it was started by the church. I overreached but not by too much. Kind of odd for the church PR department to meet with the bloggers as they started up the blog. Seems almost like an endorsement, although Otterson stopped short of making it formal.

There’s a reason what the blogger is advocating is outside the mainstream, which she acknowledges. That’s because it’s wrong and hurtful and has pretty much been abandoned by the church.

Comment

I said it was pretty much started by the church, not that it was started by the church. I overreached but not by too much. Kind of odd for the church PR department to meet with the bloggers as they started up the blog. Seems almost like an endorsement, although Otterson stopped short of making it formal.

There’s a reason what the blogger is advocating is outside the mainstream, which she acknowledges. That’s because it’s wrong and hurtful and has pretty much been abandoned by the church.
                                I think everyone here pretty much agrees that they are nutjobs. That the church agreed to meet with them at one point in time does not mean that the church now has an obligation to police them. I can guarantee you that part of that meeting was "Please do not ever claim that you are officially sanctioned by the church or speak for the church."

Comment

Working...
                                X