The Expanse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Expanse

I'm saving this space in case I remain interested in The Expanse, the SciFi Channel's new multiseries. I've seen the first four episodes twice now, and they are getting better and better. I have been burnt before, and gotten excited over a new series that devolves into dreck, but I am liking this a lot.
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-28-2016, 06:34 AM.

Here are some screenshots of the LDSS Nauvoo under construction. Looks unreal on the bigscreen tv.

Angel 3.jpg

Angel 2.jpg

For me, this is probably the best show on TV this season. I dont know why it airs at 11pm, but I record and watch every episode multiple times. Sometimes the astroid belter patois is hard to understand, but you can't skip over it because the belters introduce important plot elements. I love the politics and the military stuff and the astroid miners ekeing out a bare existence, their children being poisoned by lack of oxygen and too much radiation. I am interested in the Gravity torture that the Outer Planter Alliance rebels are subjected to when they get caught by the Earthers. I am amused by all the Chinese and Indian Martian colonists who speak english with an American Southern drawl. I am interested in the superiority complex of the Earth-born, who wear hats on Space Stations even though there is no light for the hat to protect against. I probably didn't need that clip of sex in zero G, but it was interesting.

Spoiler for Factoid about Amos:
    My sister, who has read the books, says that Amos used to be a comfort worker, but he's not gay. I wondered about that really unusual scene between Amos and Alex in the brothel where Amos reads Alex like a book and calls BS on his lies about being married.

The show is very complete.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I started watching the show last Friday and made it through the first four episodes (that fourth episode is pretty great). I'm a little confused why the TV reviewers initially gave it luke warm reviews. It started out a little slow, but the jostling between the different factions is reminiscent of Game of Thrones.

I haven't read the books, but I did look at Syfy's website on the show where they show the different space stations and research facilities. I'm only on episode 4 and right now the question is who are the people that blew the ice freighter and then the Martian Navy ship. From what I can gather, the Indian guy that's the Martian speaks with the southern drawl because the Martians are supposed to be the Americans, innovative, independent with a strong military. I haven't quite figured out Earth, but supposedly Earth hasn't kept up with the Martian technology and has quite the welfare state.

The people that blew up the freighter and the Martian naval ship have superior technology to the Martians. So they're not a mainstream faction from Earth and probably not the mainstream terrorist living in the belt. My guess it's some combination of the scientists living out in the fringes and some secret faction within the belt that's been able to siphon off capital from operations taking place within the belt (likely the mining of precious metals or something like that).
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I've enjoyed the show. It was a bit slow, but that's because there are a lot of moving parts. The two-hour finale should be pretty good.
        Not that, sickos.

Comment

Second season started, and I'm back down the rabbit hole. I am so geeked when watching, I'm giddy. Nothing is formulaic. I look around me and wonder "Am I the only one who loves this?"

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            Second season started, and I'm back down the rabbit hole. I am so geeked when watching, I'm giddy. Nothing is formulaic. I look around me and wonder "Am I the only one who loves this?"
            Probably.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I binged the first season on Amazon. I'll try and check out S2.

Comment

tonight one of the protagonists wandered into a Mormon church (on a spaceship-- the SSS Nauvoo). Instead of a normal wardhouse look inside, it was a temple sealing room. There was no titilation, no sense of surprising everyone, and the mormon chaplain there didnt even remark on it. If you never saw a sealing room, you'd think it was a nice white waiting room. But the look is unmistakeable.

I think our intrepid group will hijack the Nauvoo and use it to ram a biohazard planetoid into the sun. The huge Angel Moroni buttressed on the tip of the spaceship would make a great battering ram.
                Last edited by Katy Lied; 02-09-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Still digging this show. Great episode tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                    Hasn't dumped into NetFlix yet. SAD.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      Hasn't dumped into NetFlix yet. SAD.
                      Amazon prime

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        Is that the one with the mutiny? Great show. I am also impressed that women play major roles in the intrigue.

I'm disappointed that Martian Pilot Alex Kamal seems to be losing his southern accent.

Comment

I can't believe no one has mentioned that the show isn't being picked up for a 4th season by SyFy. This last episode was also great. It seems like this is something that could be resumed by Amazon or Netflix.

The scene where the new hybrid gets the back of his head blown off is pretty great once you realize he was distracted by what was happening on Venus.
                          Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 05-18-2018, 11:09 AM.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Amazon is reportedly likely to pick up the show. Great news.

Comment

The story goes that Jeff Bezos is a huge fan of the novels, and when Amazon lost out to SYFY Channel for national distribution rights, Bezos was infuriated. (Netflix has the international distribution rights).

Comment

Working...
                              X