Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2 Hour Block: It's all I've ever dreamed of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Dehlin rumor. lol.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I don't think the church would ever eliminate of the core elements of the 3 hour block; however, I could envision shortening those elements. Do we really need 70 minutes for sacrament meeting? 40 would be just as good. Maybe 40 for SS and 40 for Priesthood/RS with 5 minute breaks in between. That would leave you at 2 hours and 15 minutes.... hey, I can dream can't I?

Comment

Generally the argument to shorten the block is to fit more wards into a building, however our biggest issue with room is not on Sunday, but on mutual night. We have 4 wards in a building that was built to host three. In Texas, most wards want mutual night in Wednesday since the schools generally try to limit Wednesday night activities since most hitches have Wednesday night services/youth nights. We can barely work 3 wards into one mutual night but there is no way we can do four.

Also, our building is busting at the seams for early morning seminary and that's with only 3 wards holding classes there with the fourth holding seminary in the teachers homes. We would struggle to find enough room for four wards to have seminary at the building let alone more than four.

And this doesn't even touch on the difficulties in scheduling the building for Xmas and fall activities.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          I don't think the church would ever eliminate of the core elements of the 3 hour block; however, I could envision shortening those elements. Do we really need 70 minutes for sacrament meeting? 40 would be just as good. Maybe 40 for SS and 40 for Priesthood/RS with 5 minute breaks in between. That would leave you at 2 hours and 15 minutes.... hey, I can dream can't I?
          I'm only counting 2 hours and 10 minutes there. Better bump up sacrament meeting to 45 minutes. I can't believe you thought it was so unimportant it could be 40 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            I don't know if I am ready for a 2-hour block. I would feel guilty for only going to Church for one hour every Sunday.
            Bump.

lol!
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

In Texas, most wards want mutual night in Wednesday since the schools generally try to limit Wednesday night activities since most hitches have Wednesday night services/youth nights.

What the heck is a hitch?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                What the heck is a hitch?
                Stupid autocorrect
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

lol @ John Dehlin.

http://www.standard.net/News/2015/11...unday-meetings
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The 2 Hour Block: It's all I've ever dreamed of.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    How long before he posts to take credit for the backtrack? Also, were Boston leaders really so dumb as to roll this out without getting approval from HQ?
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

And lol @ the standard examiner.

Comment

"Brethren, maybe we should shorten our meeting block. Someone float this idea to our biggest critic and see if it gains any traction."
                        "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

My sister-in-law was bragging about this the other day (she's outside of Boston). Too bad, would have been sweet to have an extra 45 minutes of gospel-centered service (nap) every Sunday.

Comment

image.jpg
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

The two hour block is like the breakfast menu at Mcdonalds. It makes sense and is what everyone wants and would make many people happy. Unfortunately, it will take forever to change because leaders are fearful of change.
                              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                                The two hour block is like the breakfast menu at Mcdonalds. It makes sense and is what everyone wants and would make many people happy. Unfortunately, it will take forever to change because leaders are fearful of change.
                                And then leadership will change it back when they realize it doesn't actually help.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X