Neb. is a top 30-60 team: now and forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Haha. I didn't create this thread, but I fully support it!

Dumping ground for Nebraska posts.
    I did.

Comment

Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
      You are kidding yourself if you think Nebraska will ever be able to even come close to being what it once was in the 80s and 90s. Sure, every 5 years or so, you can have a nice season but to think you are or can be OSU, USC, Alabama, etc. is really not facing the music. Look at Iowa, that is what Nebraska is currently. Embrace it, rather than fire your coach again next year when he goes 8-4 or worse.
      Why can't Nebraska be Alabama? What does Alabama have that Nebraska doesn't?
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Haha. I didn't create this thread, but I fully support it!

Dumping ground for Nebraska posts.
        Screw you guys I'm goin' home.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          I guess detractors of Nebraska would say they are in the rich recruiting grounds of SEC country, which does count for a lot. But saying Nebraska can't be Alabama I think is a strawman. Because you know who else can't be Alabama? Probably 110+ other FBS schools including the rest of the SEC and Texas. What Alabama is doing now and what Nebraska did in the 90s is extremely rare. I don't know any Nebraska fan that is expecting that again in their lifetime. But to recognize that another dynasty is unlikely but then make the jump and say Nebraska can't return to being a perennially ranked team that regularly competes for conference championships is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Well.....Alabama isn't in Nebraska....that is a start. Not to mention is has the storied history (much more than just a really nice 30 year run) and is currently as good as it has ever been. We could also throw in that it is in the SEC, but that would be just piling on.

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              I guess detractors of Nebraska would say they are in the rich recruiting grounds of SEC country, which does count for a lot. But saying Nebraska can't be Alabama I think is a strawman. Because you know who else can't be Alabama? Probably 110+ other FBS schools including the rest of the SEC and Texas. What Alabama is doing now and what Nebraska did in the 90s is extremely rare. I don't know any Nebraska fan that is expecting that again in their lifetime. But to recognize that another dynasty is unlikely but then make the jump and say Nebraska can't return to being a perennially ranked team that regularly competes for conference championships is silly.
              What does this mean. Regularly, as in every year, or every 5 years or so. I would agree with the later, but my perception of the Cornhusker fan base is that they feel entitled to the former.

Comment

Well.....Alabama isn't in Nebraska....that is a start. Not to mention is has the storied history (much more than just a really nice 30 year run) and is currently as good as it has ever been. We could also throw in that it is in the SEC, but that would be just piling on.
                LOL. "Just a really nice 30 year run." Now that's funny.

Comment

What does this mean. Regularly, as in every year, or every 5 years or so. I would agree with the later, but my perception of the Cornhusker fan base is that they feel entitled to the former.
                  Depends on your definition of "regularly". By regularly, I mean still being in the divisional race in November. I don't think that being a nearly annual occurrence is out of the reach of Nebraska.

Comment

You are kidding yourself if you think BYU will ever be able to even come close to being what it once was in the 70s and 80s. Sure, every 15 years or so, you can have a nice season but to think you are or can be TCU, Utah, etc. is really not facing the music. Look at Boise St., that is what BYU is currently. Embrace it, rather than hope you will fire your coach again next year when he goes 8-4 or worse.

"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

not that excited to have JiC back here, tbh.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        Depends on your definition of "regularly". By regularly, I mean still being in the divisional race in November. I don't think that being a nearly annual occurrence is out of the reach of Nebraska.
                        Think Iowa. Embrace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                          I think I have a handle on what BYU is. I would be thrilled with a nice run once a decade or so. What is clear though, is that you don't have a grasp on what Utah's program is. It's cute that you would think that your impact on the PAC has been as significant as TCU's on the Big 12.

Comment

Other than Alabama having 3 million more people than Nebraska and having a quarter of its population black (vs. under 5% in Nebraska) and bordering a number of states with a huge black population, Nebraska is exactly like Alabama.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I think I have a handle on what BYU is. I would be thrilled with a nice run once a decade or so. What is clear though, is that you don't have a grasp on what Utah's program is. It's cute that you would think that your impact on the PAC has been as significant as TCU's on the Big 12.
                              It is cute that you think that was my point. Shows how much you still view the world through a Utah hating lens. I have no illusions that the Utes have been as successful as TCU. TCU started out with more talent and play in a weaker conference. Utah has taken its lumps, but I am satisfied with the trajectory. I don't have any delusion that the Utes will be supplanting USC, UCLA as top dog in the P-12 South, but will be pushing them at every turn.

The point is that BYu fans in general have a warped sense of where they sit now and over the last 15 years. Very similar to the Nebraska fans posting in this thread. And it is funny to watch you all lecture PBW and Omaha about how they should have realistic expectations about their team and where they stand in the CFB world.
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                not that excited to have JiC back here, tbh.
                                This is really why you miss me

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                                X