Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Neb. is a top 30-60 team: now and forever

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    Hah....leave it to a Ute to call recognizing our fallen war heros by naming a stadium in their honor "boring".
    He's right, of course.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    He's right, of course.
    Shhhh......we are making fun a Ute. Join your fellow cougar and mock him!

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Nebraska is so boring that everyone forgot about those games.
    Agree. I attended that 1980 game; a 55-9 Nebraska win. Very boring and easily forgotten.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

CS Institutional Memory Jarid in Cedar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    Shhhh......we are making fun a Ute. Join your fellow cougar and mock him!
    He hates Nebraska more than Utah
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Agree. I attended that 1980 game; a 55-9 Nebraska win. Very boring and easily forgotten.
    Knock it off. Everybody was beating Utah by scores like that back then.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Woah. The Dude, are you going to let him say that about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I hate Nebraska A LOT, thanks to PBW. But not that much.

You're correct about the second part. Nebraska has played Utah four times and opened the season against the Utes in 1980 and 1992.
    I didnt know that. What is the overall record?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This board is overdue for a name change: cornhuskerstadium.com is available (presumably)
    I believe I still own thenakedindian.com if we are suggesting name changes.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    what???
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    glad you finally made peace with your cowboy counterpart.

http://pagesix.com/2013/08/10/cowboy-indian-make-peace/
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Knock it off. Everybody was beating Utah by scores like that back then.
    Not everybody. Just Nebraska and BYU. Utah's (5-5-1) 1980 season:
    Date Team Result Score
    9/6/80 Boise St (8-3: non-IA) L 7-28
    9/13/80 @ Nebraska (10-2) L 9-55
    9/20/80 UNLV (7-4) W 45-29
    9/27/80 Fresno St. (5-6) W 27-12
    10/4/80 @ Utah St. (6-5) W 23-19
    10/11/80 @ UTEP (1-11) W 31-7
    10/18/80 @ Wyoming (6-5) L 21-24
    10/25/80 Colorado St. (6-4-1) T 21-21
    11/8/80 New Mexico (4-7) W 49-21
    11/22/80 BYU (12-1) L 6-56
    11/29/80 @ San Diego St. (4-8) L 20-21
    Last edited by Paperback Writer; 12-01-2015 at 02:36 PM.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

No kidding. At least dabrockster shows us the courtesy of keeping his Ohio State crap in a dedicated thread.
    At the end of the season I thought about creating the "Official Big 10 is BACK Thread".. Might be a good place for Nebraska fans.

Plus having 3 teams in the top 6 kinda helps..

Not everybody. Just Nebraska and BYU. Utah's (5-5-1) 1980 season:
    Date Team Result Score
    9/6/80 Boise St (8-3: non-IA) L 7-28
    9/13/80 @ Nebraska (10-2) L 9-55
    9/20/80 vs UNLV (7-4) W 45-29
    9/27/80 Fresno St. (5-6) W 27-12
    10/4/80 @ Utah St. (6-5) W 23-19
    10/11/80 @ UTEP (1-11) W 31-7
    10/18/80 @ Wyoming (6-5) L 21-24
    10/25/80 Colorado St. (6-4-1) T 21-21
    11/8/80 New Mexico (4-7) W 49-21
    11/22/80 BYU (12-1) L 6-56
    11/29/80 @ San Diego St. (4-8) L 20-21

OMG. Utah was destined to be snakebit by Boise State. Losing to them in 1980 is probably worse than losing to Idaho State right now.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    OMG. Utah was destined to be snakebit by Boise State. Losing to them in 1980 is probably worse than losing to Idaho State right now.
    Boise St. was the I-AA Champion in 1980.

Boise St. was the I-AA Champion in 1980.
    Ok so not exactly the same. Losing to them in 1980 is probably worse than losing to Idaho State in 1981, then.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Oh, brother. Nebraska has a comination of history, fan support, and facilities to rival almost any school. Yeah Lincoln is not glamorous and never will be but all it takes is the right coach to be able get the talent to come and put it together on the field. You could have said "I don't know how Michigan turns it around at this point" a few years back. We'll they got their coach and now things are going to be fine.

And to say Osborne dominated the 90s because the Big 8 was down is dumb. Snyder had already built his program at that point and Colorado was a perennial top 10 team.
    I didn't say the Big 8 was down, I said the Texas schools were down because of the SWC.

Tom Osbourne was one of the top 5 college coaches of all time. After he retired and kids forgot about Nebraska's dominance of the mid 90s, Nebraska ceased being relevant.

Michigan is a big state surrounded by other big states. It's also an elite school academically. There's no comparison between Michigan and Nebraska.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I said the "right" coach. Why does it have to be a big name? I agree that Nebraska is unlikely to get a Chip Kelly anytime soon. But a Nebraska guy who turns out to be a great coach coming home again is completely possible. That's where this discussion started: with Scott Frost.

We're still talking about Nebraska!

Edit: and I think the geography argument is bunk. Leach recruited guys to Lubbock and now Pullman. Snyder gets guys to come to Manhattan, KS. And what's so great about Columbus, OH? Yeah having your school in Florida or SoCal is a huge advantage but ultimately kids are going to go with the coach who they trust the most and think can help their football career the most.
    Leach was still in Texas and he only had one year when they were seriously contending.

K State benefited when the Texas schools were down in the 90s. When the Longhorns were good a few years after Mack Brown came in, Stoops arriving in Oklahoma and now TCU and Baylor emerging, K State likewise ceased to be relevant.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I didn't say the Big 8 was down, I said the Texas schools were down because of the SWC.

Tom Osbourne was one of the top 5 college coaches of all time. After he retired and kids forgot about Nebraska's dominance of the mid 90s, Nebraska ceased being relevant.

Michigan is a big state surrounded by other big states. It's also an elite school academically. There's no comparison between Michigan and Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

While I agree Nebraska is not as relevant today as it was from 1970-2001, kicking dirt on the grave of the Cornhuskers is premature. Nebraska and Michigan are very comparable when it comes to football. Nebraska has to recruit nationally more so than most programs and has done so for decades. So Michigan does enjoy some advantages because of location but having the "right" coach is a much greater factor. And while Nebraska is not in the same academic tier as Michigan, the majority of football players are not attending college for academics; otherwise Stanford would be on top of the college football world every year. Nebraska is a solid academic school and does have a good reputation for graduating its players. With the "right" coach, Nebraska will once again be relevant; fifty years of history is not easily buried. It remains to be seen if Mike Riley is the "right" coach.

How about we compare Michigan and Nebraska football for the past 50 years.

School W-L-T Win Pct. National titles Heismans
    Michigan 433-158-8 .730 1 2
    Nebraska 475-139-5 .771 5 3

How about we compare Michigan and Nebraska football for the past 50 years.

School W-L-T Win Pct. National titles Heismans
    Michigan 433-158-8 .730 1 2
    Nebraska 475-139-5 .771 5 3
    CMBF PBW

Can't F*@ w that grid.

Nebraska will once again be relevant;
    The rape case and the crappy season have made them kind of relevant lately.

The rape case and the crappy season have made them kind of relevant lately.
    Well, not so much the crappy season. People did talk a lot about the Hail Mary though!

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    CMBF PBW

Can't F*@ w that grid.
    Reading comprehension, amigo. Nothing in that table contradicts what CMBF said.

Nothing of what CMBF said about Michigan has anything to do with football, so...
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yeah, but you do have to admit the table was cool.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, but you do have to admit the table was cool.
    By that logic, Northwestern is a powerhouse. It's located in a big state surrounded by other big states and is an elite school academically.

By that logic, Northwestern is a powerhouse. It's located in a big state surrounded by other big states and is an elite school academically.
    You are kidding yourself if you think Nebraska will ever be able to even come close to being what it once was in the 80s and 90s. Sure, every 5 years or so, you can have a nice season but to think you are or can be OSU, USC, Alabama, etc. is really not facing the music. Look at Iowa, that is what Nebraska is currently. Embrace it, rather than fire your coach again next year when he goes 8-4 or worse.

Something about how there's no comparison between Michigan and Nebraska... gee- I guess you're right!

Haha. I didn't create this thread, but I fully support it!

Dumping ground for Nebraska posts.