Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 211 to 228 of 228

Thread: Neb. is a top 30-60 team: now and forever

  1. #211
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    4,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Just before signing day, Jamire Calvin commits to Nebraska.
    http://www.omaha.com/huskers/footbal...937d50361.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    We're to classy to rub it in with a gif but I will give PBW a simple emoji
    What a freaking traitor. Gary anderson is disappointed in those that don't keep their word.

    Last edited by BigPiney; 01-30-2017 at 11:36 AM.

  2. #212
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    What a freaking traitor. Gary anderson is disappointed in those that don't keep their word.

    Gary Anderson will still probably be disappointed come tomorrow but Mike Leach might be happy. There are rumors that Jamire Calvin may sign with Washington St. Whether this WR signs with Oregon St., Nebraska, or Washington St. he will probably transfer at least once, maybe twice before he's done playing college ball. Here are the current odds:
    Nebraska 54%
    Washington State 38%
    Oregon State 4%
    ? 4%
    http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

  3. #213
    Huge Member BigPiney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    4,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Gary Anderson will still probably be disappointed come tomorrow but Mike Leach might be happy. There are rumors that Jamire Calvin may sign with Washington St. Whether this WR signs with Oregon St., Nebraska, or Washington St. he will probably transfer at least once, maybe twice before he's done playing college ball. Here are the current odds:
    Nebraska 54%
    Washington State 38%
    Oregon State 4%
    ? 4%
    http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions
    That is funny. That kid is all over the place. I agree on the transfers. In the end he may end up at all three schools.

  4. #214
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,560

    Default

    Disappointed Gary Anderson.


    Sad Mike Riley


    Soon to be confused Mike Leach when Jamire Calvin transfers from Washington St. after signing with the Cougars.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

  5. #215
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,560

    Default

    Nebraska reclaims #1 ranking; BYU cracks the Top Ten:
    ...in USA Today's Misery Index

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lsu/675144001/

    Nebraska: "Nobody in Nebraska believes they’re going to return to the 1980s or early 1990s. But is being as good as Wisconsin really too much to ask?"

    BYU: "In three games against FBS opponents, the Cougars have scored 19 points while compiling 509 offensive yards. In some years at BYU, that’s three quarters worth of production, not three games."
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

  6. #216
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    17,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Nebraska reclaims #1 ranking; BYU cracks the Top Ten:
    ...in USA Today's Misery Index

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lsu/675144001/

    Nebraska: "Nobody in Nebraska believes they’re going to return to the 1980s or early 1990s. But is being as good as Wisconsin really too much to ask?"

    BYU: "In three games against FBS opponents, the Cougars have scored 19 points while compiling 509 offensive yards. In some years at BYU, that’s three quarters worth of production, not three games."

    Considering what Miss State did to LSU I don't think Nebraska will hold that #1 position for too long... I am guessing there will be a blood bath in Starkville but maybe Koy Jr will get to play.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #217
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Take THAT, Rutgers!

  8. #218
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Help me, Scott Frost. You're my only hope.

  9. #219
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Help me, Scott Frost. You're my only hope.
    I know he is a Nebraska alum...but that dude is going to get the pick of the litter this off-season.

  10. #220
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★'s = 1
    Posts
    17,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Help me, Scott Frost. You're my only hope.
    I am not sure why he would leave UCF... The fans there love him.

    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "I never preached in Texas, but I have preached in places as wicked..." -Brigham Young.
    "If we do nothing we'll be substantially behind (other Power leagues) a decade from now." -Bob Bowlsby on Big 12 expansion.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  11. #221
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    I know he is a Nebraska alum...but that dude is going to get the pick of the litter this off-season.
    He's more than an alumnus. He is the pride of Wood River, Nebraska. In addition to being a standout football player who committed to Stanford but eventually came home to lead us to another national title, I remember watching him win the all class gold medal in shot put and also the class C hurdles races at the 1993 State track meet. He is just below Johnny Rogers and just above Ahman Green as far as home grown football legends. You're right though. Florida in particular is going to back up the dump truck of cash on his front lawn. There are signs Nebraksa will be aggressive on salary to get him, so I have to hope that the emotional connection will win him over.

  12. #222
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,560

    Default

    I wonder if Scott Frost is interested; he knows what he's getting into. He would have a much easier path at Florida or UCF for that matter. The only reason I could see him taking the Nebraska job is a chance to be Tom Osborne 2.0. If Frost does not accept Nebraska's offer, Mike Leach might. I don't think Leach is a good fit at Nebraska but I like the guy and he would be entertaining. But I agree, Scott Frost might just be the Husker's only hope right now.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

  13. #223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    He's more than an alumnus. He is the pride of Wood River, Nebraska. In addition to being a standout football player who committed to Stanford but eventually came home to lead us to another national title, I remember watching him win the all class gold medal in shot put and also the class C hurdles races at the 1993 State track meet. He is just below Johnny Rogers and just above Ahman Green as far as home grown football legends. You're right though. Florida in particular is going to back up the dump truck of cash on his front lawn. There are signs Nebraksa will be aggressive on salary to get him, so I have to hope that the emotional connection will win him over.
    Looks like florida is going after Chip Kelly. What about between texas A&M, UTenn and Nebraska. I am sure he will go to Nebraska. that division is wide open

  14. #224
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Looks like florida is going after Chip Kelly. What about between texas A&M, UTenn and Nebraska. I am sure he will go to Nebraska. that division is wide open
    Not only do I think the chance of success is greater at Nebraska than at those other two schools, but Nebraska fans will be more patient. I hope you are right about Florida.

  15. #225

    Default

    Nebraska should go after Mike Leach ahead of Scott Frost. Frost is undefeated this year, but he's only been a head coach for two years. Leach has shown that he can win anywhere.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

  16. #226
    Senior Member Omaha 680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Harlem
    Posts
    7,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Nebraska should go after Mike Leach ahead of Scott Frost. Frost is undefeated this year, but he's only been a head coach for two years. Leach has shown that he can win anywhere.
    I would be ecstatic with either hire. I just think Frost is more realistic and could be a long term coach if he works out.

  17. #227
    Royal Rooter Green Monstah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Up from third base to Huntington
    Posts
    9,206

    Default

    Would Leach be able to manage Husker fans' lofty expectations without pissing off boosters and admins? I highly doubt it.

    Leach has thrived in Lubbock and Pullman in large part because the fanbase was just so damn happy not to suck--and even be legitimately good occassionally. He says what he thinks and has little to no filter. If we learned anything from Pelini, it's that the Nebraska coach probably needs a filter, and probably needs to win more than 8-9 games per year (Leach averaged 8.4 wins/year at TT; and is averaging 6.33 wins/year at WSU).

    I think Frost would be a good hire, but as we all know, hiring a legend is risky business.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 11-14-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

  18. #228
    Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Posts
    4,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Would Leach be able to manage Husker fans' lofty expectations without pissing off boosters and admins? I highly doubt it.

    Leach has thrived in Lubbock and Pullman in large part because the fanbase was just so damn happy not to suck--and even be legitimately good occassionally. He says what he thinks and has little to no filter. If we learned anything from Pelini, it's that the Nebraska coach probably needs a filter, and probably needs to win more than 8-9 games per year (Leach averaged 8.4 wins/year at TT; and is averaging 6.33 wins/year at WSU).

    I think Frost would be a good hire, but as we all know, hiring a legend is risky business.
    Nebraska fans have lowered their expectations in the post-Osborne era. They too would be happy not to suck and be legitimately good on occasion. Basically, they just want to be as good as Wisconsin, win a conference title once or twice a decade, and become relevant once again. I think Husker fans would embrace Mike Leach and even support him the next time he puts Craig James's son in a shed during practice. I don't see much Bo Pelini in Mike Leach; I think Leach would hit it off with the Nebraska media. The only reservation I have about Leach is whether his style of offense will work at Nebraska.

    I also think Leach has a better chance at landing the Nebraska job - his old boss is Nebraska's new AD. But it will be Frost's job if he wants it.
    Last edited by Paperback Writer; 11-14-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •