Neb. is a top 30-60 team: now and forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Boise St. was the I-AA Champion in 1980.
    Ok so not exactly the same. Losing to them in 1980 is probably worse than losing to Idaho State in 1981, then.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Oh, brother. Nebraska has a comination of history, fan support, and facilities to rival almost any school. Yeah Lincoln is not glamorous and never will be but all it takes is the right coach to be able get the talent to come and put it together on the field. You could have said "I don't know how Michigan turns it around at this point" a few years back. We'll they got their coach and now things are going to be fine.

And to say Osborne dominated the 90s because the Big 8 was down is dumb. Snyder had already built his program at that point and Colorado was a perennial top 10 team.
      I didn't say the Big 8 was down, I said the Texas schools were down because of the SWC.

Tom Osbourne was one of the top 5 college coaches of all time. After he retired and kids forgot about Nebraska's dominance of the mid 90s, Nebraska ceased being relevant.

Michigan is a big state surrounded by other big states. It's also an elite school academically. There's no comparison between Michigan and Nebraska.
      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        I said the "right" coach. Why does it have to be a big name? I agree that Nebraska is unlikely to get a Chip Kelly anytime soon. But a Nebraska guy who turns out to be a great coach coming home again is completely possible. That's where this discussion started: with Scott Frost.

We're still talking about Nebraska!

Edit: and I think the geography argument is bunk. Leach recruited guys to Lubbock and now Pullman. Snyder gets guys to come to Manhattan, KS. And what's so great about Columbus, OH? Yeah having your school in Florida or SoCal is a huge advantage but ultimately kids are going to go with the coach who they trust the most and think can help their football career the most.
        Leach was still in Texas and he only had one year when they were seriously contending.

K State benefited when the Texas schools were down in the 90s. When the Longhorns were good a few years after Mack Brown came in, Stoops arriving in Oklahoma and now TCU and Baylor emerging, K State likewise ceased to be relevant.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          I didn't say the Big 8 was down, I said the Texas schools were down because of the SWC.

Tom Osbourne was one of the top 5 college coaches of all time. After he retired and kids forgot about Nebraska's dominance of the mid 90s, Nebraska ceased being relevant.

Michigan is a big state surrounded by other big states. It's also an elite school academically. There's no comparison between Michigan and Nebraska.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

While I agree Nebraska is not as relevant today as it was from 1970-2001, kicking dirt on the grave of the Cornhuskers is premature. Nebraska and Michigan are very comparable when it comes to football. Nebraska has to recruit nationally more so than most programs and has done so for decades. So Michigan does enjoy some advantages because of location but having the "right" coach is a much greater factor. And while Nebraska is not in the same academic tier as Michigan, the majority of football players are not attending college for academics; otherwise Stanford would be on top of the college football world every year. Nebraska is a solid academic school and does have a good reputation for graduating its players. With the "right" coach, Nebraska will once again be relevant; fifty years of history is not easily buried. It remains to be seen if Mike Riley is the "right" coach.

How about we compare Michigan and Nebraska football for the past 50 years.

School W-L-T Win Pct. National titles Heismans
            Michigan 433-158-8 .730 1 2
            Nebraska 475-139-5 .771 5 3
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

How about we compare Michigan and Nebraska football for the past 50 years.

School W-L-T Win Pct. National titles Heismans
              Michigan 433-158-8 .730 1 2
              Nebraska 475-139-5 .771 5 3
              CMBF PBW

Can't F*@ w that grid.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Nebraska will once again be relevant;
                The rape case and the crappy season have made them kind of relevant lately.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  The rape case and the crappy season have made them kind of relevant lately.
                  Well, not so much the crappy season. People did talk a lot about the Hail Mary though!

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    CMBF PBW

Can't F*@ w that grid.
                    Reading comprehension, amigo. Nothing in that table contradicts what CMBF said.

Comment

Nothing of what CMBF said about Michigan has anything to do with football, so...
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, but you do have to admit the table was cool.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Yeah, but you do have to admit the table was cool.
                          By that logic, Northwestern is a powerhouse. It's located in a big state surrounded by other big states and is an elite school academically.
                          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

By that logic, Northwestern is a powerhouse. It's located in a big state surrounded by other big states and is an elite school academically.
                            You are kidding yourself if you think Nebraska will ever be able to even come close to being what it once was in the 80s and 90s. Sure, every 5 years or so, you can have a nice season but to think you are or can be OSU, USC, Alabama, etc. is really not facing the music. Look at Iowa, that is what Nebraska is currently. Embrace it, rather than fire your coach again next year when he goes 8-4 or worse.

Comment

Something about how there's no comparison between Michigan and Nebraska... gee- I guess you're right!

Comment

Haha. I didn't create this thread, but I fully support it!

Dumping ground for Nebraska posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X