Neb. is a top 30-60 team: now and forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I don't know that I would describe Lawrence Phillip's treatment as coddled but the guy certainly was broken and did receive a lot of second chances due to his talent. In retrospect, LP shouldn't have gotten a second chance with Nebraska in 1995. But I do believe that Tom Osborne was doing what he felt was best for LP and not Nebraska football when he allowed LP to play again after a 6-game suspension. The guy was an early Heisman favorite after his outstanding season in 1994 and his performance against a Nick Saban coached Michigan St. team in 1995. Had Osborne kicked LP off the team in 1995, he probably would have ended up in prison sooner.
    That also means he would have had fewer victims (on the outside) as well.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Yes. Clearly the right choice was to suspend him for longer. But as I posted in the other thread I think Osborne's stated motives were sincere and he didn't need LP to win that year.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Yes. Clearly the right choice was to suspend him for longer. But as I posted in the other thread I think Osborne's stated motives were sincere and he didn't need LP to win that year.
        Tom Osborne thought he could help redeem LP. He was wrong. But at what point is a person beyond redemption? At what point does probably the most influential person in a troubled person's life give up on trying to help redeem someone?

Before Tom Osborne ultimately failed at redeeming LP, he was partially successful. LP sat out the 1st half of the 1993 season Orange Bowl against FSU. It was a the de facto national championship game that Nebraska lost on a missed FG as time expired. LP then kept his nose clean the entire 1994 season. If Osborne knew LP was beyond redemption and would ultimately end up in prison, he would have cut him loose in 1995. Instead, Osborne most likely felt that by sitting out half the season and keeping LP under the supervision of the coaching staff and ultimately having a chance at the NFL, LP might possibly have learned his lesson and be redeemed.

For every Lawrence Phillips, there were many more players that Tom Osborne helped redeem. One was a player as talented as LP who did win the Heisman - Johnny Rodgers.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Nebraska lands a commitment from Keyshawn Jr. I guess Mike Riley isn't ALL bad.

http://journalstar.com/sports/husker...71bc15d4c.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            Nebraska lands a commitment from Keyshawn Jr. I guess Mike Riley isn't ALL bad.

http://journalstar.com/sports/husker...71bc15d4c.html
            The Calabasas High QB, Tristan Gebbia, who throws to Keyshawn Jr. was in Lincoln recently on an unofficial visit. Would be nice for Nebraska to land both of them.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”

Comment

The Calabasas High QB, Tristan Gebbia, who throws to Keyshawn Jr. was in Lincoln recently on an unofficial visit. Would be nice for Nebraska to land both of them.
              Calabasas High QB Tristan Gebbia gave has verbal committment to Nebraska.

Comment

Calabasas High QB Tristan Gebbia gave has verbal committment to Nebraska.
                Nice. Riley is putting together a good class. I didn't follow him at Oregon State. Did he typically recruit well and then underperform?

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  Nice. Riley is putting together a good class. I didn't follow him at Oregon State. Did he typically recruit well and then underperform?
                  IMO, Riley recruited well considering he was at Oregon St. As you know, Nebraska is in a different tier with respect to facilities, tradition, and $$$. Riley does appear to have some good connections in California. What I think is significant, is that Riley is bringing in the type of QB who is a true passer in Patrick O'Brien and now Tristan Gebbia; the type of QB that often plays at BYU.

Comment

• A follow-up on the Nebraska-California connection. There is a third highly ranked Calabasas HS player considering Nebraska: CB Darnay Holmes.
                    An ESPN blogger wrote recently about Nebraska's recent success in CA: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/bigt.../post?id=13195
                    In my view, the blog understates Nebraska's recruiting in California prior to 2016. Notably, the Huskers current starting RB Newby is from CA as well as recent past contributors like QB Martinez (2010-13), RB Lucky (2005-08) and RB Helu (2007-10). They might not have been as highly rated as CA players in the 2016 class but all were multi-year starters and rushed for 1,000+ yards in a season.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Ouch!
                      25. Whatever happened to ...

Nebraska -- Do you have to be told? Since Tom Osborne retired in 1997, there has been one conference title (16 years ago), two major bowls and five coaches. The Huskers have pulled the rare double of late. They have proved not to be factors in two Power Five leagues (Big 12, Big Ten).

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...s-immediately/
                      Dennis Dodd is playing loose with the facts...
                      Last 5 years in the Big12
                      2006: Big 12 North Champs. Played in Cotton Bowl.
                      2009: Big 12 North Champs. Lost to undefeated Texas in CCG when a second was put back on the clock.
                      2010: Big 12 North Champs.
                      Two 10-win seasons; two 9-win seasons. Three division championships. Played in a bowl game 4/5 seasons.

Last 5 years in the Big Ten
                      2012: Division Champions.
                      One 10-win season and three 9-win seasons. One division championship. Played in a bowl game 5/5 seasons.

And there have only been four coaches since Tom Osborne retired in 1997 (not five)
                      Bob Devaney (1962-72) 11 seasons; 2 national championships
                      Tom Osborne (1973-97) 25 seasons; 3 national championships
                      Frank Solich (1998-2003) 6 seasons
                      Bill Callahan (2004-07) 4 seasons
                      Bo Pelini (2008-2014) 7 seasons
                      Mike Riley (2015 - present)

While it's true Nebraska has not won a conference championship since 1999 and has not played in a national championship game since 2001, the Huskers were a factor in the Big 12 and are a factor in the Big Ten. There were 22 years between national championships in 1971 and 1994. At present, it's been 18 years since Nebraska's last national championship.

Comment

• Does anyone beside PBW and Omaha even read this thread?
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dennis Dodd is playing loose with the facts...
                          Last 5 years in the Big12
                          2006: Big 12 North Champs. Played in Cotton Bowl.
                          2009: Big 12 North Champs. Lost to undefeated Texas in CCG when a second was put back on the clock.
                          2010: Big 12 North Champs.
                          Two 10-win seasons; two 9-win seasons. Three division championships. Played in a bowl game 4/5 seasons.

Last 5 years in the Big Ten
                          2012: Division Champions.
                          One 10-win season and three 9-win seasons. One division championship. Played in a bowl game 5/5 seasons.

And there have only been four coaches since Tom Osborne retired in 1997 (not five)
                          Bob Devaney (1962-72) 11 seasons; 2 national championships
                          Tom Osborne (1973-97) 25 seasons; 3 national championships
                          Frank Solich (1998-2003) 6 seasons
                          Bill Callahan (2004-07) 4 seasons
                          Bo Pelini (2008-2014) 7 seasons
                          Mike Riley (2015 - present)

While it's true Nebraska has not won a conference championship since 1999 and has not played in a national championship game since 2001, the Huskers were a factor in the Big 12 and are a factor in the Big Ten. There were 22 years between national championships in 1971 and 1994. At present, it's been 18 years since Nebraska's last national championship.
                          So he got one fact wrong - there have been 4 coaches since Osborne retired.

Got it.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Does anyone beside PBW and Omaha even read this thread?
                            You just posted in it, sucker!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              So he got one fact wrong - there have been 4 coaches since Osborne retired.

Got it.
                              He is also wrong about Nebraska and the "rare double" of not being a factor in the Big12 and Big Ten as I've already shown. I didn't mention it earlier but Nebraska has been to more than "two major bowls" since 1997 if the Cotton Bowl is included. So in review, Dodd was correct about Osborne retiring in 1997 and that the Husker's last conference championship was 16 years ago. He got more stuff wrong than right in those three sentences.

Comment

He is also wrong about Nebraska and the "rare double" of not being a factor in the Big12 and Big Ten as I've already shown. I didn't mention it earlier but Nebraska has been to more than "two major bowls" since 1997 if the Cotton Bowl is included. So in review, Dodd was correct about Osborne retiring in 1997 and that the Husker's last conference championship was 16 years ago. He got more stuff wrong than right in those three sentences.
                                It's funny that BYU has a conference championship that is more current than Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X