Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auftauchen

How did you find CS?

I wanted to see if CUF was still a thing and entered cougaruteforum.com into the address bar of my browser (Safari).

How did you choose your moniker?

Although originally intended as an embrace of my perception of myself, I see it now as more part of a perpetual field experiment to gauge how others react based on the first piece of information they receive regarding a (perceived) person.

What do you do (other than read CS)?

I spend 30% of my life asleep. Professionally, I'm a later-in-life junior tenure-track professor.

How many time zones have you lived in?

Counting the mission, five.

What are your sports loyalties?

Pittsburgh Pirates > BYU > OU > Seattle teams

What do you like about CS?

Someone used the word "statist" in a post somewhere.

What don't you like about CS?

No new threads have been started since 2011. (Fine: 2013.)

Are you looking forward to wuap's welcome question and what do you think it will be?

I don't know who or what that is. Is that the hyper-vigilant content policing algorithm that has kept CS safe from new threads for lo these many years? Regardless, official interrogations are always welcome.

Do you pee in the sink?

I've thought about it.

Did you ever consider an alternative career path?

Like, one where I have the same career for my entire adult life? No. That would've been awful.

When your kids get older, will you do drugs with them in order to teach them a responsible approach to drugs?

I would have to go on a date first.

I mean, presumably. I guess I could instead find a co-creator off Craigslist, come up with some iron-clad child-rearing contract in advance, drop off biomaterials at the clinic and do in vitro, then use a dead drop location in a park just outside of town to exchange the child for 18 years. Probably better than dating. Someone should make a website (besides Craigslist; such a blunt tool).

Also: no, I wouldn't likely teach my kid how to "do drugs" (by most definitions of "doing" and "drugs") and would prefer my child not get all exploratory until after age 30 or I'm dead. I do wish smoking half a pack a year were not proscribed by the Word of Wisdom and ("educated") American society in general.

What's your standing in the church? (this was originally meant as a joke but it stuck)

Blue or patterned shirt. Sport coat in the colder months. Ward-Level Church > Global-Level Church. Give talks with the intent of jarring old people. Don't believe that "read the scriptures" is a good default answer. Hope for the best.

Why are you so creepy? How long have you been lurking?

I checked in here once six years ago, but (a) was too busy and engaged doing interesting life-things at the time, and (b) wasn't impressed with the quality of discourse.

Do you expect anyone to respond to this thread?

Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm.

o
    Strongly Disagree
    12.50%
    Disagree
    0.00%
    Somewhat Disagree
    0.00%
    Neither Agree nor Disagree
    25.00%
    Somewhat Agree
    25.00%
    Agree
    0.00%
    Strongly Agree
    37.50%

Bienvenido. Anyone who hates the Saint Louis Cardinals is a welcome addition to the board.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I have almost forgotten what we do with threads like this. Something like "Welcome, I am glad to have you here", I think.

I was going to decry your choice of MLB teams, but Donut's point about the Cards is a good one.

The paucity of new threads cannot be blamed on Wuap. It is a reflection of the culture of the board, which values conversation and discovery over answers, and the journey over the destination. Or it is just a result of bullying by Donuthole and The Dude, depending on your point of view.

If you weren't happy with the quality of discourse six years ago, I am certain you are in for a pleasant surprise! Hope you enjoy it here!

Comment

We'd gladly move to the NL East if would alleviate any rivalry concerns. But, yeah, the Best Fans in Baseball® represent the most insufferable team I know in any league. May they suffer the indignity of 21 consecutive years of losing seasons! And soon.

Comment

I like this guy. Sois le bienvenu!
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by outlier View Post

Why are you so creepy? How long have you been lurking?

I checked in here once six years ago, but (a) was too busy and engaged doing interesting life-things at the time, and (b) wasn't impressed with the quality of discourse.
            Has it improved at all in six years?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
              Has it improved at all in six years?
              The political forum seemed maybe 15-20% less shrill.

It's been a long time, I just remember there were a couple of boorish people who seemed to rule some parts of the site and who seemed more into "winning" than communicating. Kind of like all forums everywhere, I guess.

Comment

So this thread started in 2013? I'm confused.
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

So many ideas.......I'm going to spend some time on this one. Hmmmmmm.
                    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by outlier View Post
                      (b) wasn't impressed with the quality of discourse.
                      It hasn't improved.
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

Welcome back, outlier. I am not sure we are worthy of you, but I can't wait to sit back and watch you elevate the level of conversation around here.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Kind of weird for me to say this since you predate me, but welcome.

Comment

There are plenty of new threads! Also, may want to double check your membership privileges, but you can start your own thread. I bet you anything someone would engage. My advice is to steer clear of the tedious religion and politics discussions and get into some of the better forums, like football, critic's corner, basketball, etc.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                              X