Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
    You're right. It's not nearly a perfect analogy, but the principle is the same. People are territorial, and when they see an undesirable in their territory, they react. It's not surprising. Here's another strained analogy: When you watch those YouTube videos where bullies get beaten down, are you offended by the violence enacted upon the bully or do you smile because the bully got his ass kicked? We're civilized, so we pretend to abhor violence, but deep down we all have a taste for it.
    People dont have to go to his speeches. He was in a public place. if you dont like what he has to say then leave. dont go. dont buy a ticket. In fact, as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, ignoring him would be more effective than any of the violent reactions. Moreover, there is simply noting that he is saying (that I have seen) that merits this sort of reaction. He is not much worse or different than Perez HIlton, except he adds some political opinions.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

You're right. It's not nearly a perfect analogy, but the principle is the same. People are territorial, and when they see an undesirable in their territory, they react. It's not surprising. Here's another strained analogy: When you watch those YouTube videos where bullies get beaten down, are you offended by the violence enacted upon the bully or do you smile because the bully got his ass kicked? We're civilized, so we pretend to abhor violence, but deep down we all have a taste for it.
      You're right, both analogies are strained. Neither are good.

Comment

• Milo has some less than great views on pedophilia. http://www.ibtimes.com/milo-yiannopo...-young-2494780

Comment

I agree with this. But people also have a really warped view of what is "their" territory. The problem seems to be especially acute with millenials.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
            Milo has some less than great views on pedophilia. http://www.ibtimes.com/milo-yiannopo...-young-2494780
            Is Milo Catholic? I thought he was Jewish.

It seems that video hit a defensive nerve, however...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...23006854503882
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Is Milo Catholic? I thought he was Jewish.

It seems that video hit a defensive nerve, however...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...23006854503882
              he probably has Jewish heritage but he identifies as a believing catholic.

Comment

Milo has some less than great views on pedophilia. http://www.ibtimes.com/milo-yiannopo...-young-2494780
                Book deal canceled.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Clearly the guy is a dope. But all that makes me think is that he is really not worth paying attention to, not that I should firebomb his limousine.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Clearly the guy is a dope. But all that makes me think is that he is really not worth paying attention to, not that I should firebomb his limousine.
                    I'm not in favor of firebombing limos either. Yay for common ground!

Comment

• No more Milo at CPAC. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...os-tape-235204

"The decision to disinvite Yiannopoulos was unanimous and did not even need to be deliberated, the person said. Among those on the call were ACU board members Amy Frederick, Bob Beauprez, Mike Rose, Matt Smith, Matt Schlapp and Becky Norton Dunlop, along with Vice Chair of the ACU Foundation Millie Hallow."

Comment

No more Milo at CPAC. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...os-tape-235204

"The decision to disinvite Yiannopoulos was unanimous and did not even need to be deliberated, the person said. Among those on the call were ACU board members Amy Frederick, Bob Beauprez, Mike Rose, Matt Smith, Matt Schlapp and Becky Norton Dunlop, along with Vice Chair of the ACU Foundation Millie Hallow."
                        And he no longer has a best selling book...

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

No more Milo at CPAC. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...os-tape-235204

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Interesting... it seems that the publisher, CPAC, and the media all were looking hard for anything to get rid of this ring-wing gay jewish freak:

Milo Yiannopoulos says he was not supporting pedophilia

[...]
                            Yiannopoulos wrote on Facebook blamed deceptive editing and his own “sloppy phrasing” for any indication he supported pedophilia.

The British author says he spoke of his own relationship when he was 17 with a man who was 29. The age of consent in the U.K. is 16.

It’s unclear who edited the videos.
                            [...]
                            http://www.cbsnews.com/news/milo-yia...ng-pedophilia/

What? The videos were edited?

LOL... Ann Coulter is having fun with the liberals over this:

I guess she is happy that Milo is no longer a threat for her position of chief liberal tormentor.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Someone is streaming Ben Shapiro's speech at UCSB. I've been watching him answer questions from students, most of whom are liberal. He is being respectful and answering their questions (and even agreeing with them on things).

I have no idea why so many people protest him thinking he is so dangerous. That Milo dude is shock jock and pretty bizarre. Shapiro seems to be very bright and has good reasoning to his discussion.

Comment

• I had forgotten about Anne Coulter. She seems to pop up every couple of years, like a nasty strain of herpes.
                                Last edited by Non Sequitur; 02-22-2017, 03:37 AM.
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X