Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I think they want a redo... They were too lazy to vote because they thought Hillary had it in the bag.
    Yep... they want a do over:

More than half of arrested anti-Trump protesters didn't vote

More than half of the anti-Trump protesters arrested in Portland didn’t vote, according to state election records.

At least sixty-nine demonstrators either didn’t turn in a ballot or weren’t registered to vote.

KGW compiled a list of the 112 people arrested by the Portland Police Bureau during recent protests. Those names and ages, provided by police, were then compared to state voter logs by Multnomah County Elections officials.

Records show 35 of the protesters arrested didn’t return a ballot for the November 8 election. Thirty-four of the demonstrators taken into custody weren’t registered to vote.

Twenty-five protesters who were arrested did vote.

KGW is still working to verify voting records for the remaining 17 protesters who were arrested.
    http://www.kgw.com/news/local/more-t...vote/351964445

What a bunch of dummies.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What a bunch of dummies.
      Shame has become too foreign a concept for too many people.

Comment

What a bunch of dummies.
        Incredible. These are without a doubt the same people that demand that exams be cancelled because [insert inadequate personal reasons].
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• What are y'all waiting for?... Get blocking traffic!
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Whatever happened to that whole concept of a peaceful transfer of power?

I'm no Trump fan. I didn't vote for him. But he's the guy who won. So he gets to take office and do his thing.

I suspect he'll do some things that I am not a fan of. And when he does, I'll be happy to voice my displeasure and do my best to focus on issues rather than name calling.

But the reality is that he hasn't actually done anything yet to protest. He hasn't implemented any policies. He hasn't made any executive orders. He hasn't hasn't done anything.

I'm all for letting him know what kinds of future actions could result in some form of response - maybe even participating in a protest! But the reality is he just hasn't done anything yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              Whatever happened to that whole concept of a peaceful transfer of power?

I'm no Trump fan. I didn't vote for him. But he's the guy who won. So he gets to take office and do his thing.

I suspect he'll do some things that I am not a fan of. And when he does, I'll be happy to voice my displeasure and do my best to focus on issues rather than name calling.

But the reality is that he hasn't actually done anything yet to protest. He hasn't implemented any policies. He hasn't made any executive orders. He hasn't hasn't done anything.

I'm all for letting him know what kinds of future actions could result in some form of response - maybe even participating in a protest! But the reality is he just hasn't done anything yet.
              Yeah, if Trump's inauguration is anything like Bush Jr's it should be interesting...

I like how Michael Moore narrates this event like it is the end of the world.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I do not remember that at all. Crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  Whatever happened to that whole concept of a peaceful transfer of power?

Perhaps there were riots, protests and hysterical episodes by Obama's opponents, I just don't remember. Naturally, I remember being disappointed and predicting high increases in healthcare costs and taxation. But my selective memory doesn't recall anything of this sort.

Before recently, I don't remember the concept of safe places and trigger warnings either.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• University of Virginia professors and students to UVa ppresident... "Please stop quoting our university's founder in your correspondence."

University of Virginia president criticized for quoting Thomas Jefferson

School president Teresa Sullivan quoted Jefferson in statements made to the campus community before and after Donald Trump’s election, urging students in one email to remember their own responsibility in the world, local media reported.

“By coincidence, on this exact day 191 years ago - November 9, 1825, in the first year of classes at U.Va. - Thomas Jefferson wrote to a friend that University of Virginia students ‘are not of ordinary significance only: they are exactly the persons who are to succeed to the government of our country, and to rule its future enmities, its friendships and fortunes.’ I encourage today’s U.Va. students to embrace that responsibility,” Sullivan wrote last week.

In response, assistant psychology professor Noelle Hurd drafted a letter denouncing Sullivan’s use of the quotes. More than 400 faculty members and students signed it.

“Though we realize that some members of our university community may be inspired by quotes from Jefferson, we also realize that many of us are deeply offended by attempts on behalf of our administration to guide our moral behavior through their use,” the letter stated.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                      University of Virginia professors and students to UVa ppresident... "Please stop quoting our university's founder in your correspondence."

University of Virginia president criticized for quoting Thomas Jefferson
                      WTF? They are offended by a call to responsibility?
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        WTF? They are offended by a call to responsibility?
                        Intended to quote the first part, but messed up... oops:

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- The University of Virginia president defended her use of Thomas Jefferson quotations after a group of students and professors criticized her, saying Jefferson shouldn’t be used as a “moral compass” because he was a slave owner.
                        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Keeping the conservative college kiddies safe...

Biased college professors now listed in database by conservative watchdog

Conservative students who want to avoid biased college professors now have access to a database that will inform them with the click of a button.
                          Higher Education Research Institute at UCLA concluded in 2014 that 60 percent of college professors identify as “liberal” or “far left.” Given that, the education watchdog aptly named ProfessorWatchlist.org created a tool that would help them make a prudent decision while signing up for classes. The team’s work is a project of the nonprofit organization Turning Point USA.

TPUSA founder Charlie Kirk spoke ideological ally Campus Reform about the database on Wednesday.

“Professor watch list is intended to expose document and organize radical professors across the country who have been engaged in anti-American and leftist behavior in their classes,” Mr. Kirk said. “We believe these professors have a right to say whatever they wish, but we feel a responsibility to students, alumni, and parents to expose the radicalism that has institutionalizes our colleges and universities.”
                          [...]
                          http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...in-database-b/

BYU doesn't make the list?
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Keeping the conservative college kiddies safe...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...in-database-b/

BYU doesn't make the list?
                            One of my colleagues is on that list. He's nothing at all like they're saying he is. I've had him over to two Thanksgiving dinners at my house and we're friends. That information is laughable.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              One of my colleagues is on that list. He's nothing at all like they're saying he is. I've had him over to two Thanksgiving dinners at my house and we're friends. That information is laughable.
                              Maybe youre a pinko too.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                Maybe youre a pinko too.
                                I prefer milquetoast, so-called intellectual.
                                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                                X