Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Topper View Post
    Ithaca College President not yielding to the demands of fascist students.

http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/n...test/75657728/
    This is what started the stuff at Ithaca college. Looks like an AA woman refers to having a "savage hunger" to succeed and rich white guys repeat the phrase and refer to her as a "savage" in a joking way.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      This is what started the stuff at Ithaca college. Looks like an AA woman refers to having a "savage hunger" to succeed and rich white guys repeat the phrase and refer to her as a "savage" in a joking way.

It was stupid what the two white alums did, but the President did a lot, just not enough to make the protesters happy.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

Yikes. Everything about that guy's body language and attire while calling her savage is appalling. Then he tries to make it okay by getting condescending. Gross.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Yikes. Everything about that guy's body language and attire while calling her savage is appalling. Then he tries to make it okay by getting condescending. Gross.
          I agree that was more uncomfortable than I anticipated, but I can't decide how much of that is because we know about the fallout. I actually think that if we viewed this in a vacuum, it would seem more sexist than racist.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            I agree that was more uncomfortable than I anticipated, but I can't decide how much of that is because we know about the fallout. I actually think that if we viewed this in a vacuum, it would seem more sexist than racist.
            I was expecting to pity that guy. I was not expecting to instantly get the outrage. He's gross. Sexism, racism, in this context it's all an alloy.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I was expecting to pity that guy. I was not expecting to instantly get the outrage. He's gross. Sexism, racism, in this context it's all an alloy.
              This is where we part. There is nothing that justifies the outrage; it was awkward and uncomfortable, but it was hardly malicious. However, I agree that his attire is appalling!
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Fine, be outraged at the old guy wearing the Nantucket reds. Why does the college president need to be fired and why are there a bunch of chubby 18 year old coeds writhing on the ground in utter despair? You can swear they just watched the two girls one cup video. (I think I mentioned this video before a few years back. DON'T GOOGLE IT. If you're curious, look for the reaction videos on youtube.)
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

The University of Michigan business school, in response to the Black Student Union, institutes an Identity 101 class requirement for graduation.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7014

Comment

Princeton student group sez: you guys are clowns

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7026

Admittedly, civil disobedience (and even law-breaking) can sometimes be justified. However, they cannot be justified when channels of advocacy, through fair procedures of decision-making, are fully open, as they are at our university,” the letter argues. “To adopt these tactics while such procedures for debate and reform are in place is to come dangerously close to the line dividing demonstration from intimidation.”
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      This is where we part. There is nothing that justifies the outrage; it was awkward and uncomfortable, but it was hardly malicious. However, I agree that his attire is appalling!
                      You don't get it. It often is not malicious in the most literal definition of the term. But condescension is a form of abuse and aggression.

His appalling attire is all the more disrespectful since he fancies himself a fashion magnate. His exwife says he's stealing her ideas, which appears to be true, given his personal taste in clothes.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

You don't get it. It often is not malicious in the most literal definition of the term. But condescension is a form of abuse and aggression.

His appalling attire is all the more disrespectful since he fancies himself a fashion magnate. His exwife says he's stealing her ideas, which appears to be true, given his personal taste in clothes.
                        So you are an abuser now?

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I never condescend. It's one of the most disrespectful ways you can treat people.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

SU Topper
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I never condescend. It's one of the most disrespectful ways you can treat people.
                              Denial is one of the purest forms of affirmation.

Comment

Do the right thing, Princeton: "The overwhelming weight of the evidence argues for rescinding the honor that the university bestowed decades ago on an unrepentant racist."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/op...ol-left-region

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X