Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I think I may have solved part of the riddle of tuition hikes. I'll have to visit the Office of Inclusive Excellence just to be sure though.
    Office for Inclusive Excellence

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    Indeed:

http://universitytitlegenerator.com/

Usually it's a funny title generator with accompanying salary but it looks like it's triggered by the election.
    Must be a local edit, the original python source in github has not changed for six months. Author does live in Boulder, CO; so ...
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Riots quieted.

http://babylonbee.com/news/police-ca...tion-trophies/

As anti-Trump rallies nationwide turned hostile overnight with widespread reports of violence, looting, vandalism, and death threats against the president-elect and his supporters, police in numerous major cities were able to instill calm and regain control by handing out participation trophies to all millennial protesters who were enraged about losing the election, sources confirmed.

The shrewd tactic was the idea New York Police Officer Joe Butler, who has three twentysomething children himself, and noted to reporters Thursday that he remembered how his children “never had to deal with losing as they were growing up.”
      Get the Bee delivered straight to your inbox.

“It’s a foreign notion to them. Even in sports—win or lose, everyone won, and everyone got a trophy no matter what. This is the millennial way,” he said. “So I had the idea—hey, why not start handing out participation trophies to the protesters, and telling them ‘Hey, you know what? You may have lost the election, but look—everyone gets a trophy. Everyone’s a winner.'”
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
        This would've been funnier if they'd given out I voted stickers with different Pokemon on them.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          This would've been funnier if they'd given out I voted stickers with different Pokemon on them.
          http://babylonbee.com/news/report-vo...may-not-count/

Election officials were able to confirm that voters who do not post at least one picture of themselves in a voting line, wearing an “I Voted” sticker, or at bare minimum tweet about how they voted might see their ballots tossed out as illegitimate.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Classes Being Canceled Because Trump Won Is Why Trump Won

I understand that for many people, the news that Donald Trump will be our next president is more than just an election result. People are concerned about their futures; people are concerned about their families. I understand all of this. But the thing is, there are children all across the country who go to school while having concerns about how things are going at home. First graders do it. Yes, believe it or not, there are 5-year-olds across the country who leave their broken homes full of serious problems to go to school every single day, and yet we don’t see any of them demanding a note from their teachers saying “I know life is tough for you so don’t worry about learning to add and read.”

We have become a society where our kindergartners are more capable than the adults who are studying at Yale, an institution that is supposedly reserved for our best and brightest. Newsflash, kids: “There is something in my life that is bothering me” is not automatically followed by “Therefore I do not have to attend to any of my responsibilities,” and your entitled expectation that it is has contributed far more to Donald Trump’s rise than anyone’s racist uncle.

Now, keep in mind that I say all of this as someone who is not a Donald Trump supporter, and someone who, as a woman, is taking it personally as well. But guess what? I went to work. I went to work during the weeks my mom was dying from a terminal illness, a time when there was definitely what I’d call some “very serious” stress in my life. Come to think of it, I’m actually at work now too, not to brag! The fact is, this has absolutely nothing to do with politics or partisanship or sexism or racism or anything along those lines but rather being able to understand what it means to be an adult. It’s okay to be upset. It’s okay to cry, and it’s even okay to let your teachers know that you are struggling and to try to work something out if necessary. I’ve had days where I’ve tried to work and found it impossible due to personal sources of stress, and I think that everyone has. On far too many college campuses, however, this kind of response to anything that even remotely resembles adversity has become the rule rather than the exception. Sooner or later, these people will have to realize that no one owes it to you to care, and that expecting society to revolve around your own personal feelings means you have an even bigger ego than the Donald himself.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Gov. Andrew Cuomo: New York a ‘refuge’ for minorities, immigrants

“Whether you are gay or straight, Muslim or Christian, rich or poor, black or white or brown, we respect all people in the state of New York,” Cuomo (D) wrote. “It's the very core of what we believe and who we are . . . We don't allow a federal government that attacks immigrants to do so in our state.”
              Figures. Nobody wants to offer refuge to Mormons. Don't worry, we're used to it.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I shake my head at this type of stupidity. Displaying a Trump flag/sign warrants expulsion?

http://lawnewz.com/video/two-college...n-victory-lap/

Comment

• I can't help but compare the recent liberal response with the way the TEA party responded to Tarp/Obamas election. They seem awfully similar. I guess liberals need to rethink their love of a strong central government and strong executive power, because it can come back to bite you when your candidate isn't in the White House.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    Yale professor: My students aren’t snowflakes, and they don’t melt
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I can't help but compare the recent liberal response with the way the TEA party responded to Tarp/Obamas election. They seem awfully similar. I guess liberals need to rethink their love of a strong central government and strong executive power, because it can come back to bite you when your candidate isn't in the White House.

I agree, but I don't Obama deserves the criticism Trump does, hell just based on rhetoric alone. I'd hope you wouldn't view Obama as poor of a candidate or human being than Trump.

But regardless, people need to accept the election results and get on with life.

Comment

• Um, yes they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          I can't help but compare the recent liberal response with the way the TEA party responded to Tarp/Obamas election. They seem awfully similar. I guess liberals need to rethink their love of a strong central government and strong executive power, because it can come back to bite you when your candidate isn't in the White House.

Did the tea party have riots, violence and vandalism?

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                            Did the tea party have riots, violence and vandalism?
                            Both the right and left are capable of riots, violence, and vandalism. They are the tools of the underclass, regardless of political ideology.
                            We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                              Both the right and left are capable of riots, violence, and vandalism. They are the tools of the underclass, regardless of political ideology.
                              Sure anyone is capable of anything. But I don't remember riots with the team party, I remember the media talking about racism.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                                Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                                Sure anyone is capable of anything. But I don't remember riots with the team party, I remember the media talking about racism.
                                If Trump lost, I think you would seen the same kind of unrest you're seeing by his supporters.

Comment

Working...
                                X