Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
    I can only smh. What is wring with these pansies, err, people?
    http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...came-tom-wolfe

I posted the link above in another thread. It's well worth reading.

I think there are true believers in this nonsense and they're narcissists and/or have paranoid personalities. Then there are the others who operate in that sphere who act out in an effort to gain social status. They gain the status through either claiming victimhood themselves or by going the PC Bro/White Knight route.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Lionel Shriver with a brilliant op-ed piece in the NYT. God bless her.

(hat tip to SU for the link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/op...?smid=fb-share
      That really was brilliant. Kudos to her.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Janet Napolitano on free speech:

To thoughtfully answer these questions requires an examination of the history of free speech at our universities, the interplay with other social movements, and the values we profess to hold so dear. I begin, however, by agreeing with the sentiment expressed by Clark Kerr, the George Washington of the University of California:

“The University is not engaged in making ideas safe for students. It is engaged in making students safe for ideas. Thus it permits the freest expression of views before students, trusting to their good sense in passing judgment on those views. Only in this way can it best serve American democracy.”
        http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2...AqL/story.html
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• "Ze, xe, zhe, what do you prefer?"

"I'm fine with 'His Majesty.'"

http://reason.com/blog/2016/09/29/so...f-michigan-kid
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Interesting article on how we are guilty of the safe space phenomenon in LDS culture:

http://associationmormonletters.org/...s-safe-spaces/

Would love to read the full article. An excerpt:

From our earliest days in Primary we are taught various versions of the statement, “I feel it therefore it must be true.” Negative or confusing feelings mean something is wrong, and good feelings indicate truth and goodness. There is, of course, some truth to this statement, and learning to discern spiritual feelings is part of discipleship. Yet it can also be misleading. Our feelings do not always reflect truth. Feeling uncomfortable does not mean the object of discomfort is the source of that discomfort.

Another useful concept discussed in the Atlantic piece is “mental filtering.” Mental filter is “pick[ing] out a negative detail in any situation and dwell[ing] on it exclusively, thus perceiving that the whole situation is negative.” Leahy, Holland, and McGinn refer to this as “negative filtering,” which they define as “focus[ing] almost exclusively on the negatives and seldom notic[ing] the positives.”

Notice how mental filtering is the exact opposite of the 13th Article of Faith’s charge to seek out that which is lovely and virtuous and praiseworthy. Spiritually hypersensitive people flip this injunction on its head. Instead of seeking the good, such individuals are on high alert for anything that does not conform to their standards of purity. They can spot a supposed sin from a mile away, and once identified, it becomes the sole object of attention. It’s a level of negative focus that is able to dismiss the wisdom and insight of a 1500 word essay because one or two of the words are deemed offensive.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• So, will the Supremes take up whether an asian band can call themselves "Slant?"

Comment

• I'm not even sure how to begin processing this:

https://youtu.be/C9SiRNibD14

Comment

• I wish I knew how to create a safe space from calls where I can't understand the fellow's English on the other side of the line.

Just to make sure I don't say something in public that is biggotted, for you folks up to date on PC stuff, is that a biggotted statement?

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                    I wish I knew how to create a safe space from calls where I can't understand the fellow's English on the other side of the line.

Just to make sure I don't say something in public that is biggotted, for you folks up to date on PC stuff, is that a biggotted statement?
                    Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                      I'm not even sure how to begin processing this:

https://youtu.be/C9SiRNibD14
                      Wow. That's one of the dumbest rants I have ever heard. I would love to hear her decolonized alternative to Newtonian physics.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Wow. That's one of the dumbest rants I have ever heard. I would love to hear her decolonized alternative to Newtonian physics.
                        Some in the comments were saying that this was a debate class and that she was only given that position to argue. Hard to tell from the video. If those comments are her own, yes she's and idiot.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• That woman was faculty? wow not good.
                          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                            Yes
                            I really want to be PC and not a biggot. So how do you handle that situation?

Stay patient and have the person spell out the words? Just say yes everytime he stops talking? How do you PC folks handle the situation?

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Some in the comments were saying that this was a debate class and that she was only given that position to argue. Hard to tell from the video. If those comments are her own, yes she's and idiot.
                              The title says it's science faculty meeting with "fallists". Moreover debates aren't usually interrupted by someone demanding an apology for the "panel." That said, I can only hope she didnt beIieve that tripe.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                                That woman was faculty? wow not good.
                                She's not faculty, she's part of student leadership. Which, still not good.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/10/15...an-black-magic
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X