Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    At least that play meets the definition of the blocker starting low and thrusting up. Great block, but I could see how they would make the call with him coming up under the guys chin. I wonder if they would've still called it had he just put his shoulder squarely into the defender's chest.
    The Bell hit wasn't a targeting call, he was flagged for unnecessary roughness. There is a point of emphasis in the HS rules starting last season where we are supposed to flag for unnecessary roughness when "defenseless players" receive very vicious blocks. The classic examples are a receiver who has already missed a pass and does not have time to see the safety and a blindside block like Bell delivered. Last season they said any hard hit away from the ball should be flagged, but hits like Bell's at the point of attack would be allowed if they weren't targeting. Now it is trending towards protecting the defenseless player on a blindside block (i.e. the blocker doesn't get a free shot, he should apply the force necessary to take the defender out of the play, but not blow him up...yes this introduces more judgement by the official into the game which isn't necessarily a good thing). I don't know if there are similar points of emphasis in college, but I see more and more flags for unnecessary roughness on blindside hits that are clearly within the vicinity of the play.

Comment

• Alpha: There can be helmet-to-helmet contact that is not the result of targeting.
      Beta: There can be vicious and debilitating tackles that are perfectly legal.

That's like introducing queensberry rules to boxing and declaring that the sport whereinwhich two men pummel each other in the head is now "safe."

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Alpha: There can be helmet-to-helmet contact that is not the result of targeting.
        Beta: There can be vicious and debilitating tackles that are perfectly legal.

That's like introducing queensberry rules to boxing and declaring that the sport whereinwhich two men pummel each other in the head is now "safe."
        Whereinwich sounds tasty. What sort of bread is that on?
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
          I read like 2 sentences in that paragraph. The only thing that went through my head was 'OMG shut up.' That banana is a MAN! Those melons are a WOMAN! Food Gender Rights is my new banner!!
          Good hell. Some people just need to fess up to their BS.
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/bo...-festival.html
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• http://www.press-citizen.com/story/n...eyes/89228278/

“I believe incoming students should be met with welcoming, nurturing, calm, accepting and happy messages,” Resmiye Oral, a clinical professor of pediatrics at UI, wrote recently in an email to UI athletic department officials. “And our campus community is doing a great job in that regard when it comes to words. However, Herky’s angry, to say the least, faces conveying an invitation to aggressivity and even violence are not compatible with the verbal messages that we try to convey to and instill in our students and campus community.”

Comment

• The part about the Korean woman upset about the white guy writing about North Korea winning the Pulitzer instead of her is pretty funny. It's not about merit since the guy shouldn't have been allowed to write about it in the first place. She uses the basic bulletpoints of the grievance mongers- I'm marginalized, white men have made it impossible for anyone else to achieve, etc.

I would also like to say that white American men are doing an incredibly poor job at keeping down Korean men in the US.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                  The part about the Korean woman upset about the white guy writing about North Korea winning the Pulitzer instead of her is pretty funny. It's not about merit since the guy shouldn't have been allowed to write about it in the first place. She uses the basic bulletpoints of the grievance mongers- I'm marginalized, white men have made it impossible for anyone else to achieve, etc.

I would also like to say that white American men are doing an incredibly poor job at keeping down Korean men in the US.
                  I loved that book about North Korea. One of my favorite novels in recent years. This whole movement is ludicrous.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Lionel Shriver with a brilliant op-ed piece in the NYT. God bless her.

(hat tip to SU for the link)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/op...?smid=fb-share

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Lionel Shriver with a brilliant op-ed piece in the NYT. God bless her.

On a related note:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...n-anyone-ever/

"Generation Snowflake". Ha. That is perfect.

Comment

What a great article. Kudos to her.

Comment

• I'm trying to decide whether "cultural appropriation" is peak SJW madness or if these people will eventually call for resegregation under the auspices that minorities need to be protected from the majority white devils.

From a certain standpoint you can argue that cultural appropriation arguments are either a form of resegregation or the genesis of it.

Earlier this season, the Cornell o-line coach was handing out a sombrero that was essentially a trophy for the best o-lineman from each game. It was something he called the "big hat" trophy. The coach took a picture of the player and posted it to his twitter account. The Cornell loons (otherwise known as the Cornell student body) barely made it to their fainting couches when they discovered that outrage.
                          Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 09-23-2016, 01:34 PM.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                            I'm trying to decide whether "cultural appropriation" is peak SJW madness or if it will be calls for resegregation by these lunatics.

From a certain standpoint you can argue that cultural appropriation arguments is either a form of resegregation or the genesis of it.

The Cornell o-line coach would hand out sombrero that was essentially a trophy for the best o-lineman from each game. It was something he called the "big hat" trophy. The coach took a picture of the player and posted it to his twitter account. The Cornell loons (otherwise known as the Cornell student body) barely made it to their fainting couches when they discovered that outrage.
                            It's only a matter of time before Nebraska's starting defensive players will be asked to forgo their traditional Blackshirt jerseys because, you know, they are Black and by association, racist.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Comment

I can only smh. What is wring with these pansies, err, people?
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X