Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    I get the kids. Teenagers are stupid, and almost by definition don't think about what they are doing. What I find weird is you seem to find it is funny and/or clever. Now with that said, you are talking about UV schools that I assume are 98% white and (presumably) come from primarily stable homes. I'm talking about a school that's student body is 70% brown, has a 20% dropout rate, most live in apartments well below the poverty line. If my kid was taunting someone in that situation, they would one day work for him, I wouldn't find it funny at all. In fact I would likely come unglued about it when he got home.
    Yep, JL's cheers fly in non-diverse UV. That crap wouldn't fly in my son's district where his HS plays against some HSs in very poor socioeconomic areas. Oddly enough, the students are more tame at HS games in my district. Our problem is more with the parents. Last game MJ just about walked out since she couldn't stand the parents yelling at the refs and the opposing team players
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      I get the kids. Teenagers are stupid, and almost by definition don't think about what they are doing. What I find weird is you seem to find it is funny and/or clever. Now with that said, you are talking about UV schools that I assume are 98% white and (presumably) come from primarily stable homes. I'm talking about a school that's student body is 70% brown, has a 20% dropout rate, most live in apartments well below the poverty line. If my kid was taunting someone in that situation, they would one day work for him, I wouldn't find it funny at all. In fact I would likely come unglued about it when he got home.
      OK, I get it now. You are signaling your virtue. Trust me, no kid would ever admit to joining in on that cheer. "Yeah dad, that is horrible isn't it?"

You should have seen the stuff that the Provo High kids did. Yowza. They had a great student section.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Yep, JL's cheers fly in non-diverse UV. That crap wouldn't fly in my son's district where his HS plays against some HSs in very poor socioeconomic areas. Oddly enough, the students are more tame at HS games in my district. Our problem is more with the parents. Last game MJ just about walked out since she couldn't stand the parents yelling at the refs and the opposing team players
        Yeah there is very little socio-economic (or racial) difference between the two schools. That was part of the joke, I think.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Yeah there is very little socio-economic (or racial) difference between the two schools. That was part of the joke, I think.
          Really? I was thinking Provo would have much higher % Hispanic.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            US News says 39% vs Timpview's 33%.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ovo-high-20233

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...iew-high-20234

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Not as much as you would think. Timpview boundaries include lower income zones in SE Provo. Provo HS includes Grandview which is relatively affluent. Lots of new developments in West provo too.

Comment

• This may be my favorite JP Sears yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                  This may be my favorite JP Sears yet.
                  "Demand that others be the change that you wish to see in the world."
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    "Demand that others be the change that you wish to see in the world."
                    The video is worth it just to watch him set up and deliver that line.

Comment

• The last video was silly, these two are less so. The first is informative and entertaining, if you are entertained by someone maintaining complete composure under sustained contrived inquiry. The second is how are some members of "The Academy" responding to the current mess that is propagating throughout higher education institutions. If the topic of this thread is of importance to you, take the time to watch the second one completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBegL_V6AA&t=25s

Comment

The last video was silly, these two are less so. The first is informative and entertaining, if you are entertained by someone maintaining complete composure under sustained contrived inquiry. The second is how are some members of "The Academy" responding to the current mess that is propagating throughout higher education institutions. If the topic of this thread is of importance to you, take the time to watch the second one completely.

Peterson is very polarizing. He is brilliant and that interview shows how well spoken he is. The cat and mouse reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAD97EW5sz4
                        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          Peterson is very polarizing. He is brilliant and that interview shows how well spoken he is. The cat and mouse reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAD97EW5sz4
                          The second video was much more informative for me. I posted one video embedded and linked the second one (cougarstadium disallows embedding 2 videos in the same post?), so you have to click the 2nd one to watch Peterson interview Jonathan Haidt. Haidt is even more well spoken, and not quite as fiery--probably less polarizing. The interview covers college/university campus phenonemons. Interesting to hear them compare the reaction of protesting students and faculty as a fundamental religious response, the chanting, swaying movements, and the protection of the campus as a sanctuary which must be circled and protected--which is exactly the reason many conservatives support a border wall around the nation. Different sides of the same coin. Protection of the sacred. I read his book The Happiness Hypothesis and am in the early chapters of "The Righteous Mind". Also reading some more about his involvement in the recent project at https://heterodoxacademy.org/

Comment

The last video was silly, these two are less so. The first is informative and entertaining, if you are entertained by someone maintaining complete composure under sustained contrived inquiry. The second is how are some members of "The Academy" responding to the current mess that is propagating throughout higher education institutions. If the topic of this thread is of importance to you, take the time to watch the second one completely.
                            I've seen the first video and I agree with him, for the most part. I find it funny that the people who claim to be all about science are the ones that deny millions of years of evolution. Men and women are fundamentally different both physically and psychologically, using a broad brush but an accurate one. Certainly there are differences, but to legislate equality of outcome is ridiculous and flies in the face of scientific knowledge. That doesn't mean we shouldn't fight for equality of opportunity and the protection of all rights, which we obviously should fight for those.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I have watched quite a bit of that interview. That guy performed remarkably well in the face of one of the worst performances by a media interviewer I have seen in my life. Scratch that -- the worst.

There is a great article in the Atlantic outlining everything wrong with her performance:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terson/550859/

My first introduction to Jordan B. Peterson, a University of Toronto clinical psychologist, came by way of an interview that began trending on social media last week. Peterson was pressed by the British journalist Cathy Newman to explain several of his controversial views. But what struck me, far more than any position he took, was the method his interviewer employed. It was the most prominent, striking example I’ve seen yet of an unfortunate trend in modern communication.

First, a person says something. Then, another person restates what they purportedly said so as to make it seem as if their view is as offensive, hostile, or absurd.
                              I guess Newman has received death threats from idiots upset by her shameless bias. Which is a shame, because it makes her sympathetic when she deserves little sympathy. What a clown.

Seeing some funny memes:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                I have watched quite a bit of that interview. That guy performed remarkably well in the face of one of the worst performances by a media interviewer I have seen in my life. Scratch that -- the worst.

There is a great article in the Atlantic outlining everything wrong with her performance:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terson/550859/

I guess Newman has received death threats from idiots upset by her shameless bias. Which is a shame, because it makes her sympathetic when she deserves little sympathy. What a clown.

Seeing some funny memes:

More:

TIDE-PODS-396x600.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X