No announcement yet.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting here because it seems the default place for over-the-top liberal, social justice stuff.

Today I learned the term "rape by fraud". I guess now a man can be considered a rapist if he says or does anything the woman might later consider to be fraudulent in the courtship phase before the "rape"? "I thought you were gonna marry me!" Rapist!

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
      Posting here because it seems the default place for over-the-top liberal, social justice stuff.

Today I learned the term "rape by fraud". I guess now a man can be considered a rapist if he says or does anything the woman might later consider to be fraudulent in the courtship phase before the "rape"? "I thought you were gonna marry me!" Rapist!
      There are legitimate cases of "rape by fraud". This case in California is notable: http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/...508-story.html

The tricky part is writing the law such that it accounts for cases like the California example but doesn't include instance like you describe where a man lies to a lady to induce consent.

Lying to obtain consent is actually pretty interesting when you think about it. When does a lie pass the point of simply being good persuasion into the territory of fraud?

"I'll still respect you in the morning, baby".
      "I'll love you forever"
      "I'll marry you as soon as we save enough money"
      "I'm not married, honey, that ring is for my first wife who passed away"
      "Yeah, I promise I've had a vasectomy"

Comment

• LOL... what a bunch of wimps.

Don't call us snowflakes - it damages our mental health, say young people

Being called a "snowflake" is damaging to mental health, young people say. Figures show that the majority of young people think the term is unfair - and even more think it could have a negative effect of its own.

The "snowflake generation" is a disparaging term now commonly used to refer to young people, who are perceived to be over-sensitive and intolerant of disagreement.

But research by insurance firm Aviva found that 72 per cent of 16-24 year-olds think the term is unfairly applied, while 74 per cent think it could have a negative effect on young people's mental health.
        [...]
        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-young-people/
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          LOL... what a bunch of wimps.
          Ha ha. That reminds me of the time funk got after me for using the term social justice warrior.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            Kate Mara doing this kind of work now? Sad!
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Ha ha. That reminds me of the time funk got after me for using the term social justice warrior.
              You were right. It isn't important to get hung up on terms. I'm over being upset about the use of the term social justice warrior. Of course, I personally would not use the term because of it coming out of gamergate. A term created by people that went around threatening to rape women on social media as an intimidation tactic isn't the type of association I would want.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                You were right. It isn't important to get hung up on terms. I'm over being upset about the use of the term social justice warrior. Of course, I personally would not use the term because of it coming out of gamergate. A term created by people that went around threatening to rape women on social media as an intimidation tactic isn't the type of association I would want.
                Funk, do you ever call someone a "dork"?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Funk, do you ever call someone a "dork"?
                  I actually don't think that is one that I use regularly. I assume that it has a background that I should not want to associate with if you are bringing it up.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    I actually don't think that is one that I use regularly. I assume that it has a background that I should not want to associate with if you are bringing it up.
                    sixteen-candles-long-duk-dong.jpg

Comment

• What do you guys think of the way the local high school basketball crowds taunt other teams? I'm sure this is not a Utah specific thing, but I think the evolution of this in Utah came from Utah State and out to the Logan schools and down to the rest of Utah. Maybe I've been too much wussified in the PC way of life or maybe I'm evolving into a better person. Not sure. But I felt really taken aback watching the local high school student section taunt the other team. Address the other team's coach directly. Taunt individual players from the other team. etc. In the world of anti-bullying and all that, it seems really out of place. Should this be stopped? Or am I turning into a wuss?

Comment

• wuss. I played in CA and not Utah so I can't tell you what Utah HS basketball was like. But I can say that the most fun I had as a HS basketball player was shutting up extremely hostile crowds. Basketball fans have always had the ability to make it personal due to their proximity to the court, this isn't new and it certainly didn't begin with USU. I am 43 and crowds were brutal to players and coaches when I played.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Have to agree with Fly, you may be turning into a wuss.

Go watch Hoosiers and see if the heckling portrayed in Indiana HS ball in the 50s is any different than now.

Comment

What do you guys think of the way the local high school basketball crowds taunt other teams? I'm sure this is not a Utah specific thing, but I think the evolution of this in Utah came from Utah State and out to the Logan schools and down to the rest of Utah. Maybe I've been too much wussified in the PC way of life or maybe I'm evolving into a better person. Not sure. But I felt really taken aback watching the local high school student section taunt the other team. Address the other team's coach directly. Taunt individual players from the other team. etc. In the world of anti-bullying and all that, it seems really out of place. Should this be stopped? Or am I turning into a wuss?
                            Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                            wuss. I played in CA and not Utah so I can't tell you what Utah HS basketball was like. But I can say that the most fun I had as a HS basketball player was shutting up extremely hostile crowds. Basketball fans have always had the ability to make it personal due to their proximity to the court, this isn't new and it certainly didn't begin with USU. I am 43 and crowds were brutal to players and coaches when I played.
                            I went to Alta in the late 90s. We would get to school early to make sure we got a seat in the first 3 rows so that we could direct all our energy against the opposing team's best players. I remember a particular time we went after one kid from Brighton, Morgan Smith I think it was, who later played for BYU for a year or two. I don't know how you would compare it today's kids, but we were as brutal as we could be.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What do you guys think of the way the local high school basketball crowds taunt other teams? I'm sure this is not a Utah specific thing, but I think the evolution of this in Utah came from Utah State and out to the Logan schools and down to the rest of Utah. Maybe I've been too much wussified in the PC way of life or maybe I'm evolving into a better person. Not sure. But I felt really taken aback watching the local high school student section taunt the other team. Address the other team's coach directly. Taunt individual players from the other team. etc. In the world of anti-bullying and all that, it seems really out of place. Should this be stopped? Or am I turning into a wuss?
                              I always thought it was fun.

When my kids were in HS, there was a three year streak where Timpview eliminated Mountain Crest (in spite of Alex Kuresa) from the state playoffs. I think at least 2 of the 3 were in the finals. Then after the third time, Timpview met Mountain Crest in the basketball championship and won that game too. Of course, with the game winding down, the Timpview students started chanting "Just like football". Those poor Mountain Crest kids looked like they were going to explode. But most of them were future Aggies, so it was good training I suppose.

Another tradition at Timpview basketball games was to give the following cheer when they were headed for a loss (esp if the opponent was Provo):

That's all right, that's OK
                              You're gonna work for us someday!

The Timpview principal HATED that cheer and did everything he could to stamp it out. Lectures over the PA system, etc. Of course, that only made the kids more likely to do it.

HS sports are a blast.

Comment

I always thought it was fun.

When my kids were in HS, there was a three year streak where Timpview eliminated Mountain Crest (in spite of Alex Kuresa) from the state playoffs. I think at least 2 of the 3 were in the finals. Then after the third time, Timpview met Mountain Crest in the basketball championship and won that game too. Of course, with the game winding down, the Timpview students started chanting "Just like football". Those poor Mountain Crest kids looked like they were going to explode. But most of them were future Aggies, so it was good training I suppose.

Another tradition at Timpview basketball games was to give the following cheer when they were headed for a loss (esp if the opponent was Provo):

That's all right, that's OK
                                You're gonna work for us someday!

The Timpview principal HATED that cheer and did everything he could to stamp it out. Lectures over the PA system, etc. Of course, that only made the kids more likely to do it.

HS sports are a blast.
                                When my high school played Judge Memorial, the cheer was:

"Judge, Judge, pack your fudge!".

That drew a reprimand from the principal but that's about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X