Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    When my high school played Judge Memorial, the cheer was:

"Judge, Judge, pack your fudge!".

That drew a reprimand from the principal but that's about it.
    Totally unrelated, but when I was in Merrill Hall at BYU, we used to call the Budge Hall guys "Budge Packers". Not that funny, I know. Years later I found out that Budge Hall was named for my ancestor, William Budge.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Not bullying the other team, but my son tells me that the Lehi principal put a stop to the "L-what? L-yeah!" cheer this year after Jordan High complained about it being inappropriate.

nate fakahafua got it pretty bad in hs basketball iirc. my brother in law played in his region and i think nate had a kid at the time (or at least looked like he did).
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    Not bullying the other team, but my son tells me that the Lehi principal put a stop to the "L-what? L-yeah!" cheer this year after Jordan High complained about it being inappropriate.
    That's a great cheer. Anyone that would complain about that is a pansy.

Another cheer we would do is "Referee! Referee! B A S T A R D!"

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    When my high school played Judge Memorial, the cheer was:

"Judge, Judge, pack your fudge!".

That drew a reprimand from the principal but that's about it.
    I played Judge but I don't recall our fans ever chanting that. Probably a good thing as I'd have died laughing.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I always thought it was fun.

When my kids were in HS, there was a three year streak where Timpview eliminated Mountain Crest (in spite of Alex Kuresa) from the state playoffs. I think at least 2 of the 3 were in the finals. Then after the third time, Timpview met Mountain Crest in the basketball championship and won that game too. Of course, with the game winding down, the Timpview students started chanting "Just like football". Those poor Mountain Crest kids looked like they were going to explode. But most of them were future Aggies, so it was good training I suppose.

Another tradition at Timpview basketball games was to give the following cheer when they were headed for a loss (esp if the opponent was Provo):

That's all right, that's OK
    You're gonna work for us someday!

The Timpview principal HATED that cheer and did everything he could to stamp it out. Lectures over the PA system, etc. Of course, that only made the kids more likely to do it.

HS sports are a blast.
    It’s easy to find it harmless fun when you’re kids attend the wealthier, school who is perennially excellent in all sports. As someone whose kids attend the poorest (socioeconomically and athletically) HS in the area. Whenever I hear cheers like that from the cross-town rivals , it comes across as entitled and super douchey. sjbh

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    It’s easy to find it harmless fun when you’re kids attend the wealthier, school who is perennially excellent in all sports. As someone whose kids attend the poorest (socioeconomically and athletically) HS in the area. Whenever I hear cheers like that from the cross-town rivals , it comes across as entitled and super douchey. sjbh
    why you sending your kids to a bad school man
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

The worst cheer I remember us using was directed at the referees too.

"Nuts and Bolts, Nuts and Bolts, WE GOT SCREWED!"

We thought it was hilarious in Jr. High. It wore off in HS.

Lol. Duh. That’s the whole point.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

Here were a couple of our juvenile cheers (late 70's):

Give me a Q
    Give me a Q
    Give me a Q
    Give me a Q
    What's that spell? Four Q

Kick them in the right knee
    kick them in the left knee
    kick them in the....we need a basket
    One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
    SU

The assistant principal would start descending on the student section when she heard that one. The other that would get her going:

"A rope, a tree, hang the referee!"
    Repeated three times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    why you sending your kids to a bad school man
    We have strange HS boundaries, that were designed to try and equalize the two schools (as determined by free or reduced lunches). We live in the donuthole that is assigned to attend the old HS. The majority of kids in our neighborhood, either move by the time they are HS age, or lie and use a relative's address to attend the other school. Thus the gap between the two schools seems to increase with each passing year. My kids would have all preferred the new HS- far better at sports and most of their middle school friends go there. However, I like where we live, and I refuse to lie to justify them to go to the other school. Other than not being able to watch many victories the old school has been great for my family. I think it is good for them to experience what life can be like as a minority (HS is only 30% Caucasian), it still offers plenty of AP and higher level classes, that were good enough to get my daughter into Provo.

Lol. Duh. That’s the whole point.
    Weird answer.

There were very few highlights during the Tony Ingle era at BYU. The main one I recall was Tony yelling at a ref (in an almost silent MC), "What are you using on us, a Flat-head or a Phillips?"

Weird answer.
    Art, let me clue you in here: we are talking about mean things kids shout at HS games to get in the heads of opponents. The whole point is to be obnoxious.

I hope that helps.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Art, let me clue you in here: we are talking about mean things kids shout at HS games to get in the heads of opponents. The whole point is to be obnoxious.

I hope that helps.
    I get the kids. Teenagers are stupid, and almost by definition don't think about what they are doing. What I find weird is you seem to find it is funny and/or clever. Now with that said, you are talking about UV schools that I assume are 98% white and (presumably) come from primarily stable homes. I'm talking about a school that's student body is 70% brown, has a 20% dropout rate, most live in apartments well below the poverty line. If my kid was taunting someone in that situation, they would one day work for him, I wouldn't find it funny at all. In fact I would likely come unglued about it when he got home.

I don't think Provo high is 98% white.

I get the kids. Teenagers are stupid, and almost by definition don't think about what they are doing. What I find weird is you seem to find it is funny and/or clever. Now with that said, you are talking about UV schools that I assume are 98% white and (presumably) come from primarily stable homes. I'm talking about a school that's student body is 70% brown, has a 20% dropout rate, most live in apartments well below the poverty line. If my kid was taunting someone in that situation, they would one day work for him, I wouldn't find it funny at all. In fact I would likely come unglued about it when he got home.
    Yep, JL's cheers fly in non-diverse UV. That crap wouldn't fly in my son's district where his HS plays against some HSs in very poor socioeconomic areas. Oddly enough, the students are more tame at HS games in my district. Our problem is more with the parents. Last game MJ just about walked out since she couldn't stand the parents yelling at the refs and the opposing team players
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

OK, I get it now. You are signaling your virtue. Trust me, no kid would ever admit to joining in on that cheer. "Yeah dad, that is horrible isn't it?"

You should have seen the stuff that the Provo High kids did. Yowza. They had a great student section.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Yep, JL's cheers fly in non-diverse UV. That crap wouldn't fly in my son's district where his HS plays against some HSs in very poor socioeconomic areas. Oddly enough, the students are more tame at HS games in my district. Our problem is more with the parents. Last game MJ just about walked out since she couldn't stand the parents yelling at the refs and the opposing team players
    Yeah there is very little socio-economic (or racial) difference between the two schools. That was part of the joke, I think.

Yeah there is very little socio-economic (or racial) difference between the two schools. That was part of the joke, I think.
    Really? I was thinking Provo would have much higher % Hispanic.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    US News says 39% vs Timpview's 33%.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ovo-high-20233

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...iew-high-20234

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Not as much as you would think. Timpview boundaries include lower income zones in SE Provo. Provo HS includes Grandview which is relatively affluent. Lots of new developments in West provo too.

This may be my favorite JP Sears yet.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    This may be my favorite JP Sears yet.
    "Demand that others be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    "Demand that others be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    The video is worth it just to watch him set up and deliver that line.

The last video was silly, these two are less so. The first is informative and entertaining, if you are entertained by someone maintaining complete composure under sustained contrived inquiry. The second is how are some members of "The Academy" responding to the current mess that is propagating throughout higher education institutions. If the topic of this thread is of importance to you, take the time to watch the second one completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBegL_V6AA&t=25s

The last video was silly, these two are less so. The first is informative and entertaining, if you are entertained by someone maintaining complete composure under sustained contrived inquiry. The second is how are some members of "The Academy" responding to the current mess that is propagating throughout higher education institutions. If the topic of this thread is of importance to you, take the time to watch the second one completely.

Peterson is very polarizing. He is brilliant and that interview shows how well spoken he is. The cat and mouse reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAD97EW5sz4
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Peterson is very polarizing. He is brilliant and that interview shows how well spoken he is. The cat and mouse reminded me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAD97EW5sz4
    The second video was much more informative for me. I posted one video embedded and linked the second one (cougarstadium disallows embedding 2 videos in the same post?), so you have to click the 2nd one to watch Peterson interview Jonathan Haidt. Haidt is even more well spoken, and not quite as fiery--probably less polarizing. The interview covers college/university campus phenonemons. Interesting to hear them compare the reaction of protesting students and faculty as a fundamental religious response, the chanting, swaying movements, and the protection of the campus as a sanctuary which must be circled and protected--which is exactly the reason many conservatives support a border wall around the nation. Different sides of the same coin. Protection of the sacred. I read his book The Happiness Hypothesis and am in the early chapters of "The Righteous Mind". Also reading some more about his involvement in the recent project at https://heterodoxacademy.org/

I've seen the first video and I agree with him, for the most part. I find it funny that the people who claim to be all about science are the ones that deny millions of years of evolution. Men and women are fundamentally different both physically and psychologically, using a broad brush but an accurate one. Certainly there are differences, but to legislate equality of outcome is ridiculous and flies in the face of scientific knowledge. That doesn't mean we shouldn't fight for equality of opportunity and the protection of all rights, which we obviously should fight for those.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

I have watched quite a bit of that interview. That guy performed remarkably well in the face of one of the worst performances by a media interviewer I have seen in my life. Scratch that -- the worst.

There is a great article in the Atlantic outlining everything wrong with her performance:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terson/550859/

My first introduction to Jordan B. Peterson, a University of Toronto clinical psychologist, came by way of an interview that began trending on social media last week. Peterson was pressed by the British journalist Cathy Newman to explain several of his controversial views. But what struck me, far more than any position he took, was the method his interviewer employed. It was the most prominent, striking example I’ve seen yet of an unfortunate trend in modern communication.

First, a person says something. Then, another person restates what they purportedly said so as to make it seem as if their view is as offensive, hostile, or absurd.
    I guess Newman has received death threats from idiots upset by her shameless bias. Which is a shame, because it makes her sympathetic when she deserves little sympathy. What a clown.

Seeing some funny memes:

I have watched quite a bit of that interview. That guy performed remarkably well in the face of one of the worst performances by a media interviewer I have seen in my life. Scratch that -- the worst.

There is a great article in the Atlantic outlining everything wrong with her performance:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terson/550859/

I guess Newman has received death threats from idiots upset by her shameless bias. Which is a shame, because it makes her sympathetic when she deserves little sympathy. What a clown.

Seeing some funny memes:

More:

TIDE-PODS-396x600.jpg