• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A superb article on colleges and mental health:

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/...-when-it-comes
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• "Much of American society is in the grip of a culture of safetyism that prevents young people from learning how to contend with challenges, difficulties, and contradictions. The Agenda welcomes social psychologist Jonathan Haidt to discuss his book, 'The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post

"Much of American society is in the grip of a culture of safetyism that prevents young people from learning how to contend with challenges, difficulties, and contradictions. The Agenda welcomes social psychologist Jonathan Haidt to discuss his book, 'The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure.'"
        that's funny. there is no more fragile and entitled a generation than boomers. worrying about the effects of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" in 2020 is no different than worrying about what stairway to heaven sounds like when played backwards.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          that's funny. there is no more fragile and entitled a generation than boomers. worrying about the effects of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" in 2020 is no different than worrying about what stairway to heaven sounds like when played backwards.
          Haidt is not a boomer.
          "Safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" are provided as examples of symptoms, not causal factors.

If Haidt's thesis is rejected as to likely causes (of which he and his co-author describe several), what factors explain the well documented rise in teenage suicide and self harm?

Even more tragically, we also see this trend in the rate of teenage suicide, which is rising for both sexes in the US and the UK. The suicide rate is up 34% for teenage boys in the US (in 2016, compared with the average rate from 2006-2010). For girls, it is up an astonishing 82%. In the UK, the corresponding increase for teenage boys through to 2017 is 17%, while the increase for girls is 46%.

Comment

• One of my favorite things about being woke is that it’s okay that your trillion dollar company has sits on lands that belonged to indiginous people as long as you acknolwedge that fact.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

One of my favorite things about being woke is that it’s okay that your trillion dollar company has sits on lands that belonged to indiginous people as long as you acknolwedge that fact.
              I know a guy that teaches HS computer science in Sammamish and he says that they have to recite some long acknowledgement like this at the beginning of every faculty meeting.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Microsoft going nuts with this stuff lately.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• My employer has an office in Australia and we do business with the Aussie government. At the start of every meeting, and in every PowerPoint that gets presented to the government, they do a very similar ritual where they acknowledge the ancestral caretakers of the land:

"I begin today by acknowledging the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we <gather/meet> today, and pay my respects to their Elders past and present. I extend that respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples here today."
                  The suggested language comes from the government website: https://www.indigenous.gov.au/contac...gement-country

This little ritual strikes me as pretty bizarre. Humans have conquered and killed each other and taken from each other since "time immemorial" (to quote Microsoft's woke example).

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Microsoft going nuts with this stuff lately.

How embarrassing for the dudes who have to admit that they are just white males. I too would grow a beard and mohawk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

How embarrassing for the dudes who have to admit that they are just white males. I too would grow a beard and mohawk.
                      That was the weirdest part. You have to announce your race now? Seriously?

Comment

That was the weirdest part. You have to announce your race now? Seriously?
                        Today I identify as NGAF!

Comment

• Not sure if it's woke, but any time I'm on a zoom call I always announce whether or not I'm wearing pants.
                          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Acknowledging the First Nations land is really common in Canada too.

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."

Comment

Good for them.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X