No announcement yet.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible thread title, btw. "Professional"?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Harvard law student thinks so:

http://hlrecord.org/2015/11/fascism-at-yale/
      ha yeah bill. he's a weird single lds hls student.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Terrible thread title, btw. "Professional"?
        Well I changed it to "Professorial", but can't above.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          As you see, free speech is the crucible that will return campuses to their senses. But you of all people should know the importance that institutions reckon with their racist pasts.
          But the current format is designed to suppress the free speech you applaud.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/backlash...sts-1448063437

Radical change is not for the narrow-minded or weak-hearted. In the words of a few dozen revolutionaries in Philadelphia 239 years ago, “all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government.”
          http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/op...rful.html?_r=0

SU supports the fearful, uninformed speech. My bet is on the confident, reflections of informed majorities.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            Well I changed it to "Professorial", but can't above.
            lol professorial is hilariously ironic on so many levels.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Ithaca College President not yielding to the demands of fascist students.

http://www.ithacajournal.com/story/n...test/75657728/

Comment

According to Pew, 40% of millenials favor banning speech offensive to minorities

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...to-minorities/

Comment

Originally posted by Nakoma View Post
                  According to Pew, 40% of millenials favor banning speech offensive to minorities

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...to-minorities/
                  Incredible that the Millennials have become such statists, trusting government to supervise social activities. What a full circle we have come from the sixties where distrust of government supervision was at all time high. Now they want government regulation of so many behaviors.

Comment

Fixed that awful thread title.

---------

BTW, here is an angry proponent of trigger warnings and safe spaces. Among other things, she is insisting that netflix start issuing trigger warnings for certain movies/tv shows.

(TRIGGER WARNING: NSFW LANGUAGE)

https://medium.com/@girlziplocked/on...048#.5fn18ki8v

Let’s be clear: opponents of safe spaces and trigger warnings are defending their privilege to live in a world where vulnerable people just shut up and take their abuse.
                    Same author:

https://medium.com/@girlziplocked/wh...4e2#.1g74cvawx

Seems like a reasonable person.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

---------

BTW, here is an angry proponent of trigger warnings and safe spaces. Among other things, she is insisting that netflix start issuing trigger warnings for certain movies/tv shows.

(TRIGGER WARNING: NSFW LANGUAGE)

https://medium.com/@girlziplocked/on...048#.5fn18ki8v

Same author:

https://medium.com/@girlziplocked/wh...4e2#.1g74cvawx

Seems like a reasonable person.

Wow. She is not very persuasive. Insulting, condescending and more importantly, no trigger warnings about the offensive content within her article. I am now offended and need my safe space.

Comment

Triggers Warnings?
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

The people pushing the campus rape hysteria are trying to create neo-Victorian ideas about sex. Sex is super scary and bad.

This "cultural appropriation" nonsense seems to have similar goals to those of white supremacists. Let's divide ethnic groups lest one group starts liking and using something from another group -- because liking or using something is the same thing as exploitation. It's a totally insane idea.

One common thread between the two is trying to cater to the lowest common denominator on the emotional and psychological health scale. Nutjobs and narcissists and what they're irritated by is what's driving this.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                            Wow. She is not very persuasive. Insulting, condescending and more importantly, no trigger warnings about the offensive content within her article. I am now offended and need my safe space.
                            Hmmm. Yeah. While I sympathize with the sentiment of feeling alone in that particular hardship, I'm not convinced the 'safe space' need isn't just an unreasonable request to unburden them from some of the natural rigors of reality. Everyone without exception has their own personal psychological burdens, but should everyone else to be compelled to shoulder them? Of course not. What good is compassion if it's not an act of free will? I think our society is so much more aware of insensitivity towards ethnic minorities than it was 20 years ago. That's not enough, you say? Abridge free speech until this shit clears up? Whatever, man.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              Hmmm. Yeah. While I sympathize with the sentiment of feeling alone in that particular hardship, I'm not convinced the 'safe space' need isn't just an unreasonable request to unburden them from some of the natural rigors of reality. Everyone without exception has their own personal psychological burdens, but should everyone else to be compelled to shoulder them? Of course not. What good is compassion if it's not an act of free will? I think our society is so much more aware of insensitivity towards ethnic minorities than it was 20 years ago. That's not enough, you say? Abridge free speech until this shit clears up? Whatever, man.
                              Additionally, if it is legally determined that trigger warnings are required, you will establishing the foundations for actions against persons who fail to insert triggers. Once again, free speech would be curtailed in the interests of political correctness. Nobody condones rape or other atrocious behavior, but to require constant labels on books and movies is over the top and should not be required.

Comment

Again, I'm cribbing off that Atlantic article that JL linked to a while back -- but the thing that gets lost in all of this are psychiatric considerations. Anyone that's dealt extensively with someone who has a personality disorder knows how irrational and unreasonable they can be. I think it's a mistake to give credence to irrational demands.

These kids at Yale, for instance, are some of the most privileged people in the country. Yet you have a girl having a fit over an email regarding Halloween costumes. Make no mistake, it's part of the far left mindset to think it's the dominant culture's fault (at least what they perceive as the dominant culture) whenever someone not squarely within that culture finds offense or does something stupid. The girl was ostensibly not within the dominant culture because she was at least of mixed race. Therefore, if she has a beef, despite the irrationality and pettiness of it, then the beef must be understood and you must find fault in yourself.

I don't understand why enabling an extreme narcissist with a paranoid personality disorder and making a fairly highly acclaimed academic apologize to such a person does anyone any favors.
                                Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 11-23-2015, 03:45 PM.
                                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Working...
                                X