X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    When my high school played Judge Memorial, the cheer was:

"Judge, Judge, pack your fudge!".

That drew a reprimand from the principal but that's about it.
    Totally unrelated, but when I was in Merrill Hall at BYU, we used to call the Budge Hall guys "Budge Packers". Not that funny, I know. Years later I found out that Budge Hall was named for my ancestor, William Budge.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Not bullying the other team, but my son tells me that the Lehi principal put a stop to the "L-what? L-yeah!" cheer this year after Jordan High complained about it being inappropriate.

Comment

• nate fakahafua got it pretty bad in hs basketball iirc. my brother in law played in his region and i think nate had a kid at the time (or at least looked like he did).
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
          Not bullying the other team, but my son tells me that the Lehi principal put a stop to the "L-what? L-yeah!" cheer this year after Jordan High complained about it being inappropriate.
          That's a great cheer. Anyone that would complain about that is a pansy.

Another cheer we would do is "Referee! Referee! B A S T A R D!"

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            When my high school played Judge Memorial, the cheer was:

"Judge, Judge, pack your fudge!".

That drew a reprimand from the principal but that's about it.
            I played Judge but I don't recall our fans ever chanting that. Probably a good thing as I'd have died laughing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I always thought it was fun.

When my kids were in HS, there was a three year streak where Timpview eliminated Mountain Crest (in spite of Alex Kuresa) from the state playoffs. I think at least 2 of the 3 were in the finals. Then after the third time, Timpview met Mountain Crest in the basketball championship and won that game too. Of course, with the game winding down, the Timpview students started chanting "Just like football". Those poor Mountain Crest kids looked like they were going to explode. But most of them were future Aggies, so it was good training I suppose.

Another tradition at Timpview basketball games was to give the following cheer when they were headed for a loss (esp if the opponent was Provo):

That's all right, that's OK
              You're gonna work for us someday!

The Timpview principal HATED that cheer and did everything he could to stamp it out. Lectures over the PA system, etc. Of course, that only made the kids more likely to do it.

HS sports are a blast.
              It’s easy to find it harmless fun when you’re kids attend the wealthier, school who is perennially excellent in all sports. As someone whose kids attend the poorest (socioeconomically and athletically) HS in the area. Whenever I hear cheers like that from the cross-town rivals , it comes across as entitled and super douchey. sjbh

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                It’s easy to find it harmless fun when you’re kids attend the wealthier, school who is perennially excellent in all sports. As someone whose kids attend the poorest (socioeconomically and athletically) HS in the area. Whenever I hear cheers like that from the cross-town rivals , it comes across as entitled and super douchey. sjbh
                why you sending your kids to a bad school man
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• The worst cheer I remember us using was directed at the referees too.

"Nuts and Bolts, Nuts and Bolts, WE GOT SCREWED!"

We thought it was hilarious in Jr. High. It wore off in HS.

Comment

Lol. Duh. That’s the whole point.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                      The worst cheer I remember us using was directed at the referees too.

Here were a couple of our juvenile cheers (late 70's):

Give me a Q
                      Give me a Q
                      Give me a Q
                      Give me a Q
                      What's that spell? Four Q

Kick them in the right knee
                      kick them in the left knee
                      kick them in the....we need a basket
                      One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                      SU

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

The assistant principal would start descending on the student section when she heard that one. The other that would get her going:

"A rope, a tree, hang the referee!"
                        Repeated three times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          why you sending your kids to a bad school man
                          We have strange HS boundaries, that were designed to try and equalize the two schools (as determined by free or reduced lunches). We live in the donuthole that is assigned to attend the old HS. The majority of kids in our neighborhood, either move by the time they are HS age, or lie and use a relative's address to attend the other school. Thus the gap between the two schools seems to increase with each passing year. My kids would have all preferred the new HS- far better at sports and most of their middle school friends go there. However, I like where we live, and I refuse to lie to justify them to go to the other school. Other than not being able to watch many victories the old school has been great for my family. I think it is good for them to experience what life can be like as a minority (HS is only 30% Caucasian), it still offers plenty of AP and higher level classes, that were good enough to get my daughter into Provo.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Lol. Duh. That’s the whole point.
                          Weird answer.

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

There were very few highlights during the Tony Ingle era at BYU. The main one I recall was Tony yelling at a ref (in an almost silent MC), "What are you using on us, a Flat-head or a Phillips?"

Comment

Weird answer.
                            Art, let me clue you in here: we are talking about mean things kids shout at HS games to get in the heads of opponents. The whole point is to be obnoxious.

I hope that helps.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Art, let me clue you in here: we are talking about mean things kids shout at HS games to get in the heads of opponents. The whole point is to be obnoxious.

I hope that helps.
                              I get the kids. Teenagers are stupid, and almost by definition don't think about what they are doing. What I find weird is you seem to find it is funny and/or clever. Now with that said, you are talking about UV schools that I assume are 98% white and (presumably) come from primarily stable homes. I'm talking about a school that's student body is 70% brown, has a 20% dropout rate, most live in apartments well below the poverty line. If my kid was taunting someone in that situation, they would one day work for him, I wouldn't find it funny at all. In fact I would likely come unglued about it when he got home.

Comment

• I don't think Provo high is 98% white.

Comment

Working...
                                X