No announcement yet.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She called his elevator joke offensive. He called her complaint ‘frivolous.’ Who’s right?

The days of women feeling compelled to stay silent in the face of sexist remarks or conduct are thankfully on the way out. Hear something, say something, by all means.

But for goodness’ sake, let’s maintain some sense of proportion and civility as we figure out how to pick our way through the minefield of modern gender relations. Not every comment that offends was intended that way, and intent matters. Maybe check in with the speaker before going nuclear? Maybe consider that there is a spectrum of offensiveness? That not every stray statement by a 76-year-old man warrants a resort to disciplinary procedures?

Because making a federal case, or even a disciplinary one, over a stray elevator remark is not only, well, frivolous — it’s also counterproductive. Take a culture of eggshell fragility. Pair it with a hypersensitive disciplinary mechanism. What you get is a result that serves only to diminish real, and continuing, instances of truly offensive behavior.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• the counter response to this kind of stuff is going to be ugly. we’ve only begun to see it.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Where the f*&! is Judge John Hodgman when you need him?
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• I feel like he missed a chance to say “hey, I prefer to wear women’s lingerie and the fact that you’re offended means you made hurtful assumptions about my preferences”

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
            I feel like he missed a chance to say “hey, I prefer to wear women’s lingerie and the fact that you’re offended means you made hurtful assumptions about my preferences”
            yes. That response would have been better.
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Good hell, will this never end?

‘Extremely offensive’: GW students launch petition to change Colonials nickname. They prefer ‘Hippos.’

Student Rachel Yakobashvili created a petition on Change.org that states, “We, as students, faculty, and staff of the George Washington University, believe it is of great exigence that the university changes the official nickname for its affiliates. The use of ‘Colonials,’ no matter how innocent the intention, is received as extremely offensive by not only affiliates of the university, but the nation and world at large. The historically, negatively charged figure of Colonials has too deep a connection to colonization and glorifies the act of systemic oppression.”

. . . . . . .

The GW Hatchet, the student newspaper, quoted sophomore Andrew Hesbacher as saying, “Colonialist, terrorist, murderer. In a lot of places that’s what colonials mean to people. Why would we continue to call ourselves that?”

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Well - if it makes him feel any better, for some of us when we hear "GWU Student" aren't thinking "colonialist, terrorist, murderer" anymore. Instead, we're thinking "dumbass". So he's already making a difference!

Comment

• I can kind of see their point, but if tGWU changes it's mascot, they've got to go with the Generals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    I can kind of see their point, but if tGWU changes it's mascot, they've got to go with the Generals.
                    Something tells me that Generals would be equally offensive.

“General, terrorist, murderer. In a lot of places that’s what generals mean to people. Why would we continue to call ourselves that?”

Comment

I can kind of see their point, but if tGWU changes it's mascot, they've got to go with the Generals.
                      Their point is ridiculous. "Colonials" is a simple nod to history, not an endorsement of tyranny/exploitation. Good grief.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Their point is ridiculous. "Colonials" is a simple nod to history, not an endorsement of tyranny/exploitation. Good grief.
                        Agreed. I also think it’s umtimately counterproductive to whitewash offensive history, but colonialism from the perspective of the colonized is a pretty traumatic process.

Comment

Agreed. I also think it’s umtimately counterproductive to whitewash offensive history, but colonialism from the perspective of the colonized is a pretty traumatic process.
                          Duh.

Next on the chopping block:

1) New England Patriots (also celebrating colonial heritage)
                          2) Oklahoma Sooners (colonized the homelands of native americans)
                          3) Texas Longhorns (celebrates the human dominance of a gentle species of animal)
                          4) Wyoming Cowboys (all of the above)

This is easy.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Duh.

Next on the chopping block:

1) New England Patriots (also celebrating colonial heritage)
                            2) Oklahoma Sooners (colonized the homelands of native americans)
                            3) Texas Longhorns (celebrates the human dominance of a gentle species of animal)
                            4) Wyoming Cowboys (all of the above)

This is easy.
                            New England is already in trouble.

Donald Trump appoints Patriots coach Bill Belichick to Sports Council

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cil/580078002/
                            One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                            SU

Comment

• There are some people who want to change the names of birds because the Native Americans had names for them (deciding which tribe's name to use hasn't really come up), and calling them by any European's name, e.g., "Bachman's Sparrow," is colonial imposition and cultural appropriation. I will not even engage those people.

And, don't even get me started on Latinx.
                              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• I think my favorite mascot in America is the Richland HS Bombers in Richland, Washington - former nuclear processing site for the Manhattan Project. It's got to be one of the most non-PC mascots ever. Logo is a mushroom cloud:

Comment

Working...
                                X