No announcement yet.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe this needs a thread title change, it's not just college campuses. How about some HS kids from Layton, UT being the subject to this nonsense?

https://www.dailywire.com/news/42751...x3sXISc06EUrLM

One of the students recorded part of the debate, which is linked in the article.

Comment

• In too many instances administrators, teachers, counselors, etc, in K-12 are outright hostile to freedom of speech.
      We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        Maybe this needs a thread title change, it's not just college campuses. How about some HS kids from Layton, UT being the subject to this nonsense?

One of the students recorded part of the debate, which is linked in the article.
        The funniest thing about that story is how the other debate team tried to skate by with such a stupid argument.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Maybe this needs a thread title change, it's not just college campuses. How about some HS kids from Layton, UT being the subject to this nonsense?

Washington, Jefferson, and Madison all owned slaves (also, all from Virginia!)... we need to stop quoting those white supremacists too.
          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            Washington, Jefferson, and Madison all owned slaves (also, all from Virginia!)... we need to stop quoting those white supremacists too.
            I think everyone who has done something morally wrong should not only not be quoted, but anyone alive who also has done something morally wrong should not be allowed to speak. That has really been proven a great path to trod. Leads to understanding, love, and compassion.

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty weak. As Ace Carolla always says, with the constant cry-wolf accusations of racism, never has there ever been a better time to be an actual racist.

Sidenote: This doesn't change the fact that the format for modern competitive debate is ridiculous.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Sidenote: This doesn't change the fact that the format for modern competitive debate is ridiculous.
                From the article:
                "I think you are totally right that [the judge] overstepped a little bit by stopping the debate and deciding, but I also think it’s incredibly obvious that – regardless of how many ways you try to couch this argument in front of that judge – the bar for the other team to respond to it was going to be so low that the argumentative content that you chose, the strategy that you chose, for that judge and for his stated philosophy, was a poor choice on your part,” one of the directors tells Moreno in the video.
                I get that even in professional sports you sometimes have to adjust game play to how the refs are calling the game, but seriously, you don't even rebuke the refs for ignorance/alteration of the rules? A judge gets to evaluate based on his "stated philosophy"? And it's the student's fault?

Comment

From the article:

I get that even in professional sports you sometimes have to adjust game play to how the refs are calling the game, but seriously, you don't even rebuke the refs for ignorance/alteration of the rules? A judge gets to evaluate based on his "stated philosophy"? And it's the student's fault?
                  I was talking more about the speed reading of the briefs. I always thought that was a ridiculous construct. As to your point, I agree that having a biased judge sucks and isn't really fair. But that actually mirrors real life in the courtroom. As much as judges are supposed to set aside their personal biases, they often don't, and you're left to litigate a case around those biases.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I was talking more about the speed reading of the briefs. I always thought that was a ridiculous construct. As to your point, I agree that having a biased judge sucks and isn't really fair. But that actually mirrors real life in the courtroom. As much as judges are supposed to set aside their personal biases, they often don't, and you're left to litigate a case around those biases.
                    Which would be fine if the point of the debates were to mirror real life. Fair point anyway, having to learn to deal with people's biases is valuable education. At some point though, lines get crossed that shouldn't--and there should be consequences for the judge.

Comment

• the performance/kritik stuff started in college and trickled down to high school. teams doing it have won some pretty big tournaments and advanced far at the toc.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• The student's response to having uploaded the video in the first place. His coach and administrators being "bombarded" (his language) with calls to have the original video taken down. This is what debate has become?

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                          Which would be fine if the point of the debates were to mirror real life. Fair point anyway, having to learn to deal with people's biases is valuable education. At some point though, lines get crossed that shouldn't--and there should be consequences for the judge.
                          For a high school student, I'm dumbfounded. Here is his response as to why debate should not model real life.

Comment

The student's response to having uploaded the video in the first place. His coach and administrators being "bombarded" (his language) with calls to have the original video taken down. This is what debate has become?
                            debate has been like this for a long time (since bill shanahan was at fort hays)
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              debate has been like this for a long time (since bill shanahan was at fort hays)
                              I wasn't a nerd in HS so I had to Google Bill Shanahan.

This was the first hit:

The YouTube video showed Shanahan in an angry, prolonged, obscenity-laced shouting match with University of Pittsburgh debate coach Shanara Reid-Brinkley following a debate between FHSU and Towson State of Maryland. The FHSU team had exercised its prerogative under the debate rules to dismiss Reid-Brinkley as a judge of the FHSU-Towson State debate. Both the Towson State debate team and Reid-Brinkley said the decision to remove a black female judge was an act of white hegemony, which is to say an exercise of the power whites enjoy over people of color. At one point early in the post-debate argument, Shanahan turned his back to Reid-Brinkley, pulled down his shorts and bent over to expose his underwear-clad backside.
                              https://www.cross-x.com/forums/topic...kills-program/

Kind of interesting that the topic is somewhat related.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                I wasn't a nerd in HS so I had to Google Bill Shanahan.

This was the first hit:

https://www.cross-x.com/forums/topic...kills-program/

Kind of interesting that the topic is somewhat related.
                                Makes me glad I wasn't involved with debate in HS. My expectation of what it is, and what it actually is seem to be in conflict.

Comment

Working...
                                X