Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Apologies for thread purists and continuists as I could not remember in which category and thread this discussion commenced. And I am aware SU has determined the student demagogues and trigger victims are not a threat to open-mindedness on campus, but Alan Dershowitz speaks out against the current wave of student protests.

http://www.businessinsider.com/alan-...lleges-2015-11
    Last edited by Topper; 11-23-2015, 10:04 AM.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

University of Ottawa cancels yoga class.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...95&tid=ss_mail

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post

I hope they provided free counseling to the people that were mentally impacted by having a yoga class.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post

Straight out of the Onion.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

It's not surprising that a poster on a board informally associated with the J. Reuben Clark law school at Brigham Young University diminishes these protests. I don't take a position on the reasonableness of their demands, but this is a reckoning that is overdue. Besides BYU, the situation at Princeton may be the most resonant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/23/ny...=top-news&_r=0

Woodrow Wilson pretty much singlehandedly turned Princeton into a world class university. He also introduced Jim Crow to the campus and, like Brigham Young and J. Reuben Clark, was an outspoken racist. He has been revered but the school is now considering expunging Woodrow Wilson's name from Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, removing murals of him, etc. When are BYU students going to start demanding that BYU and J. Reuben Clark law school change their names?
          Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-23-2015, 10:27 AM.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Haha. SU doubles down on safe spaces and extreme political correctness.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              It's not surprising that a proud graduate of the J. Reuben Clark law school at Brigham Young University diminishes these protests. I don't take a position on the reasonableness of their demands, but this is a reckoning that is overdue. Besides BYU, the situation at Princeton may be the most resonant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/23/ny...=top-news&_r=0

Woodrow Wilson pretty much singlehandedly turned Princeton into a world class university. He also introduced Jim Crow to the campus and, like Brigham Young and J. Reuben Clark, was an outspoken racist. He has been revered but the school is now considering expunging Woodrow Wilson's name from Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, removing murals of him, etc. When are BYU students going to start demanding that BYU and J. Reuben Clark law school change their names?
              lol. When the state of Washington and half the locations in the country change their names, I suppose.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Is "fascist" the correct term here?
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Is "fascist" the correct term here?
                  Harvard law student thinks so:

http://hlrecord.org/2015/11/fascism-at-yale/
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

That reminds me, I just read that the pastor of Westboro Baptist Church (Fred Phelps) was an outstanding Civil Rights Activist, representing black clients when no other attorney would. He was also a democrat.

I think that we are overzealous in judging events in the past from today's perspective. This same thing happened after WWII. It's not a new development.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      lol. When the state of Washington and half the locations in the country change their names, I suppose.
                      King County is now named after Dr. King. I would support changing the name of Washington State to Paine or Franklin or Thoreau or the like State.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Doesn't SU's wife do yoga and teach it, as well?
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Harvard law student thinks so:

http://hlrecord.org/2015/11/fascism-at-yale/
                          As you see, free speech is the crucible that will return campuses to their senses. But you of all people should know the importance that institutions reckon with their racist pasts.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                            That reminds me, I just read that the pastor of Westboro Baptist Church (Fred Phelps) was an outstanding Civil Rights Activist, representing black clients when no other attorney would. He was also a democrat.

I think that we are overzealous in judging events in the past from today's perspective. This same thing happened after WWII. It's not a new development.
                            This argument is resonates with me. If we judge people according to the degree of enlightenment of our times, most historical people will fail that test. If we are to judge, it is a fairer test to judge them according to what was considered moral and just in their times.

Comment

I'm pretty sure SU's wife devotes 10 minutes of the quiet time in her yoga class to a renunciation of all things Brittish colonial.

Comment

Working...
                              X