No announcement yet.

Trigger warnings, safe spaces, and fascism on college campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is some really insightful stuff in this podcast.

This could have also gone under the social media thread but I thought the first half about the “Call out culture” was the best part. Utah gets a shout out toward the end for having a free range parenting law.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post

There is some really insightful stuff in this podcast.

This could have also gone under the social media thread but I thought the first half about the “Call out culture” was the best part. Utah gets a shout out toward the end for having a free range parenting law.
      Also watched this one today. It was great. Rogan does a good job of asking for clarification when needed. He's very good at recognizing when a concept as presented will not be fully understood by his audience and will ask appropriate follow-ups.

Comment

• BYU Apologizes After Posting Photo of White Students Dressed as Tacos
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
            It was stupid to apologize, they should just redo it with some brown students.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              It was stupid to apologize, they should just redo it with some brown students.
              But brown students are hard to find at BYU... they most likely charge a premium.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                But brown students are hard to find at BYU... they most likely charge a premium.

Comment

• Article discussing events at Evergreen State College and going on within greater Academia.

https://areomagazine.com/2019/01/20/...green-college/

Comment

• Not sure where else to post this, but this kind of stuff annoys me. Who the hell cares if Chinese students are speaking with each other in their native language while at lunch? People getting outraged at that would not think twice of speaking English with a fellow American in a breakroom while studying abroad in say, Paris or Munich. Probably the same kind of dolts who flip out when calling their bank and are given option to push "2" for Spanish.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/healt...rnd/index.html
                    Last edited by BlueK; 01-28-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      Not sure where else to post this, but this kind of stuff annoys me. Who the hell cares if Chinese students are speaking with each other in their native language while at lunch? People getting outraged at that would not think twice of speaking English with a fellow American in a breakroom while studying abroad in say, Paris or Munich. Probably the same kind of dolts who flip out when calling their bank and are given option to push "2" for Spanish.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/28/healt...rnd/index.html
                      Yeah let’s go destroy that professor’s life!
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I don't agree with that part of the story, just to be clear. I wouldn't fire that professor over it. Then again, it doesn't say exactly that she was fired. She stepped down after taking some heat. I do think a public debate about whether it's appropriate to tell college students what language they're allowed to speak on their free time is perfectly fine and what a college is about. But also I think we can also agree it is 100% not right to deny a student an educational opportunity over rumors that they were heard speaking their native language in a breakroom. if that kind of discrimination is quietly going on there, it deserves to be called out.

That said, I see some disturbing red flags in this professor's side of the story which might lead one to believe there is a reason she just suddenly stepped down before anyone looked into her story some more.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 01-28-2019, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Was she wearing a MAGA hat?
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Was she wearing a MAGA hat?
                            Not that I could tell from the picture.

Comment

If there is a reason to fire her it’s that she said she has the “upmost” respect for the students.

It’s actually good advice to the students but was poorly given.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                If there is a reason to fire her it’s that she said she has the “upmost” respect for the students.

It’s actually good advice to the students but was poorly given.
                                Her sudden resignation raises the suspicion that her story about other professors telling her that they would withhold research opportunities from those students over speaking Chinese in a break room is probably fabricated.

Comment

Working...
                                X