The University of Utah and RMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The University of Utah and RMs

Apparently there is some concern up on The Hill that so many RMs are starting school at the U but not coming back after coming home from their missions. Those darn Mormons are treating the U like a commuter school.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3063335-1...-flat-as-fewer

No surprise there. A mission is a great opportunity to consider what a grave mistake it was to enroll at the University of Utah.

Britain Covey, take note.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Maybe the nonmo or exmo students complained to the admin that school felt like EQ meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
        Maybe the nonmo or exmo students complained to the admin that school felt like EQ meeting.
        The article would have been more entertaining had the writer looked harder to find quotes from ex-mos saying things like "good riddance. We don't want those mor(m)ons to come back anyway"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          The University of Utah is a great opportunity to consider what a grave mistake it was to go on a mission.
          Fixed it for you.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Despite quarterly newsletters and phone calls to families of the young proselytizers, U. employees failed to persuade about 120 of the anticipated 270 returning students to enroll this fall, a success rate of about 55 percent, suggest early data from the school.
            So, the article is about 120 students who opted not to re-matriculate at a school of over 30,000 students? Really?

Also, what's up with the implication that mission presidents are counseling their missionaries not to go back to the uofutah? Like that is news?
            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

On a Mormon mission, "you use all your energy and time to focus on other people," Nelson said. But at the University of Utah, "it feels like everything I do is pretty selfish. My homework, my money, my classes — all that."
              Seems like a pretty consistent narrative from what I have heard from and know of Utah students.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                So, the article is about 120 students who opted not to re-matriculate at a school of over 30,000 students? Really?

Also, what's up with the implication that mission presidents are counseling their missionaries not to go back to the uofutah? Like that is news?
                LA Ute scooped that story a couple of years ago.

sigpic

Comment

"We need the right support systems," Pershing said, including more resources for women, who he believes may be more likely to get married after returning from LDS missions.
                  To that end, more day care, lactation stations and online course offerings are needed, Pershing said. The U. is working on all of these, he added, but has not imposed any deadline.

sigpic

Comment

Orem's Utah Valley University surpassed the U. as the state's biggest school, with a 6 percent surge in enrollment. It now has about 33,200 full- and part-time students, compared with the U.'s 31,600.

Southern Utah University's student body in Cedar City ballooned by 16 percent. Administrators credit better advising and more dogged recruitment, not the religious exodus, for the rise.

Still, other returned missionaries expected back to the U. are enrolled in college, but not in Salt Lake City. Several are 40 miles south in Provo at LDS Church-owned Brigham Young University. Some went to that private school's Hawaii or Idaho campuses, O'Mara said.

But the U.'s enrollment was virtually flat, edging up just half a percent.
                    This must be one of the benefits of being associated with academic powerhouses such as Cal and Stanford: lagging enrollment.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                      Fixed it for you.
                      No you didn't, your new sentence doesn't even make sense.

Comment

This whole problem could be solved with a Coach Kyle pick up at the airport followed by dragging grandma to a tour of the weight room at the uofutah.

I can't believe I'm giving this out for free. You're welcome, uofutah.
                        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                          This whole problem could be solved with a Coach Kyle pick up at the airport followed by dragging grandma to a tour of the weight room at the uofutah.

I can't believe I'm giving this out for free. You're welcome, uofutah.
                          Yeah but then they'll be forced to change their major in the middle of their first semester back.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                            Yeah but then they'll be forced to change their major in the middle of their first semester back.
                            Yup. From Dance to Electrical Engineering. Kyle's got his eye on the prize.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Sexist.

Comment

Working...
                              X