Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why wasn't a wildcat QB implemented in the second week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why wasn't a wildcat QB implemented in the second week?

Tanner is an incredible player. He has real guts, and pulling it out tonight was pretty incredible.

However, going into the offense was built around Taysom. Surely there was some QB running the option before Hill was injured. In years past we had various QB's acting as a wildcat QB - including Taysom himself.

Would it kill BYU to put in a wildcat QB for a couple of plays a game? It would help open up the playbook, and would give Mangum a little bit of a break and decrease his chance of injury. The season is halfway done, and we have been struggling with missing RBs.

Hoge would definitely be a QB in the mold of taysom if he had his wits about him. I don't know how effective it actually is to bring in a wildcat QB in running situations, though. Might as well just direct snap it to the RB- at least then you're not telegraphing the play to the defense. Last time we had a 'wildcat' QB was Matt Marshall, and because he was the place kick holder, it did allow us to fake a kick to a TD or a 2 point conversion, if I recall correctly.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

because it's a stupid gimmick not worth the time to implement
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeCoug View Post
        Tanner is an incredible player. He has real guts, and pulling it out tonight was pretty incredible.

However, going into the offense was built around Taysom. Surely there was some QB running the option before Hill was injured. In years past we had various QB's acting as a wildcat QB - including Taysom himself.

Would it kill BYU to put in a wildcat QB for a couple of plays a game? It would help open up the playbook, and would give Mangum a little bit of a break and decrease his chance of injury. The season is halfway done, and we have been struggling with missing RBs.
        Are you kidding me? You're griping that we don't have a Wildcat QB at a time when Mangum is looking like an absolute stud at QB slinging the rock. Please post stupid shit like this on CB, not here.

Comment

A stud just one injury away from putting in Hoge.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            A stud just one injury away from putting in Hoge.
            Exactly. We need a backup plan, and a wildcat QB helps with that.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeCoug View Post
              Exactly. We need a backup plan, and a wildcat QB helps with that.
              So the point of the wildcat at BYU would be to give a back-up QB game time experience? And then come in and run the option if Mangum goes down?

Comment

The best option for a wildcat QB is named Covey and he went to Utah. Cut Hoge some slack. He's just getting his feet wet and will learn from this. It's obvious that he needs more touches in practice.

Comment

Never was much of a wildcat fan. And I don't think it makes any sense in our current situation.

Welcome to the board, Hawkeye.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    The best option for a wildcat QB is named Covey and he went to Utah. Cut Hoge some slack. He's just getting his feet wet and will learn from this. It's obvious that he needs more touches in practice.
                    Last name Covey. First name Judas.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

There's nobody on the team that's so athletic I would rather have him receiving snaps than Tanner. The time we'd spend in practice implementing a wildcat package is better spent teaching the new kid the standard playbook.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Utah seems to be getting a lot of players BYU used to get. Of course maybe after his mission, Judas can redeem himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          It is working out pretty well for him.

Comment

Would have worked better for him at BYU - with better babes ;-)

Comment

Yeah, he is having a great year. And he would've had a great year anywhere. But he's having that great year at Utah. Which of course, is precisely my point.

Comment

Working...
                              X