Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why wasn't a wildcat QB implemented in the second week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last couple of games the only running play that has worked is the "trickeration" draw play. This is coming from a team that worked read-option for the last 3 years, and obviously worked on it spring and summer when Hill was expected to play QB. Further, the read-option is also used by the backup QB, and was used in the exhibition game and against East Carolina. The wildcat, pistol, or some other type of run-focused formation can and should be used on multiple downs.

On other topics brought up on this thread, it is great that we are finally hitting the tight end. So far, that has been a first down every time.

Comment

Cept the whiffed go-ahead TD. Why you gotta bring that up, man?
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by HawkeyeCoug View Post
        The last couple of games the only running play that has worked is the "trickeration" draw play. This is coming from a team that worked read-option for the last 3 years, and obviously worked on it spring and summer when Hill was expected to play QB. Further, the read-option is also used by the backup QB, and was used in the exhibition game and against East Carolina. The wildcat, pistol, or some other type of run-focused formation can and should be used on multiple downs.

On other topics brought up on this thread, it is great that we are finally hitting the tight end. So far, that has been a first down every time.
        I'm not sure it's obvious that they worked on read option all that much during spring/summer/fall when they thought Hill would be starting all season. All I heard out of camp was how they were focused on passing, and expect Hill to run much MUCH less - except on broken plays - as the coaches tried to keep him healthy for the whole season (*snicker*).

Also - seems like quite a few of our plays are run out of the pistol. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this qualifies as multiple downs.

Comment

Here are our run plays vs Missouri -S for successful, U for unsuccessful based on down, distance, time, and position on the field.

U 1st and 10 at BYU 22 (14:00 - 1st) Algernon Brown run for 3 yds to the BYU 25
          U 1st and 10 at BYU 21 (7:47 - 1st) Adam Hine run for 3 yds to the BYU 24
          U 3rd and 2 at BYU 29 (7:47 - 1st) Algernon Brown run for no gain to the BYU 29
          S 1st and 21 at BYU 7 (0:52 - 1st) Algernon Brown run for 13 yds to the BYU 20
          S 1st and 10 at BYU 20 (11:02 - 2nd) Adam Hine run for 5 yds to the BYU 25
          S 1st and Goal at MIZ 9 (11:02 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 4 yds to the Misso 5
          U 2nd and Goal at MIZ 5 (11:02 - 2nd) Adam Hine run for no gain to the Misso 5
          U 1st and 10 at BYU 31 (0:48 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 6 yds to the BYU 37
          S 2nd and 4 at BYU 37 (0:48 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 5 yds to the BYU 42 for a 1ST down
          S 3rd and 1 at MIZ 43 (14:54 - 3rd) Francis Bernard run for 3 yds to the Misso 40 for a 1ST down
          U 2nd and 10 at MIZ 40 (14:54 - 3rd) Adam Hine run for 2 yds to the Misso 38
          U 3rd and 2 at MIZ 15 (14:54 - 3rd) Adam Hine run for a loss of 3 yards to the Misso 17 Adam Hine fumbled, recovered by Misso Kentrell Brothers
          S 3rd and 5 at MIZ 11 (6:21 - 3rd) Algernon Brown run for 11 yds for a TD, (Trevor Samson KICK)
          U 2nd and 10 at MIZ 45 (9:54 - 4th) Adam Hine run for a loss of 1 yard to the Misso 46

6/14 were successful.

It is also interesting to note that we started the first three drives with runs, and after that only started the time-killing drive at the end of the half with a run. Seems Anae was not being that aggressive with the play calling at first.

Down and distance would indicate a wildcat or similar formation without a true QB would have probably been more successful in these three downs:

U 3rd and 2 at MIZ 15 (14:54 - 3rd) Adam Hine run for a loss of 3 yards to the Misso 17

Turn those 3rd downs into first downs, and the second down into 3rd and short, and the game looks very different (though perhaps just on the offensive end until the D learns to contain on 3rd and long)

Comment

Here are the running plays against San Jose St.

S 1st and 10 at BYU 38 (10:07 - 1st) Francis Bernard run for 5 yds to the BYU 43
            S 1st and 10 at SJSU 16 (10:07 - 1st) Algernon Brown run for 12 yds to the SJSt 4 for a 1ST down
            S 1st and 10 at BYU 20 (0:57 - 1st) Adam Hine run for 7 yds to the BYU 27
            S 3rd and 1 at SJSU 36 (15:00 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 4 yds to the SJSt 32 for a 1ST down
            U 1st and 10 at SJSU 16 (15:00 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 2 yds to the SJSt 14
            S 1st and 0 at SJSU 5 (10:12 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 5 yds for a TD, (Trevor Samson KICK)
            U 1st and 10 at BYU 14 (9:02 - 2nd) Adam Hine run for 1 yd to the BYU 15
            U 2nd and 10 at BYU 32 (4:21 - 2nd) Adam Hine run for 1 yd to the BYU 33
            U 1st and 10 at BYU 17 (1:23 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 3 yds to the BYU 20
            U 2nd and 10 at BYU 47 (14:54 - 3rd) Algernon Brown run for 2 yds to the BYU 49
            U 3rd and 8 at BYU 49 (14:54 - 3rd) Algernon Brown run for 3 yds to the SJSt 48
            U 1st and 10 at BYU 29 (5:33 - 3rd) Algernon Brown run for 4 yds to the BYU 33
            U 2nd and 6 at BYU 33 (5:33 - 3rd) Algernon Brown run for 1 yd to the BYU 34
            U 1st and 10 at SJSU 33 (15:00 - 4th) Algernon Brown run for no gain to the SJSt 33
            U 2nd and 10 at SJSU 33 (15:00 - 4th) Francis Bernard run for no gain to the SJSt 33
            U 1st and 10 at BYU 23 (8:47 - 4th) Algernon Brown run for 4 yds to the BYU 27

5/16 runs were successful, and none after the opening 2 TDs.

Tweaking formations in the 2nd half surely would not have hurt in response to SJSU's adjustments. We had three weeks to work on it. If we had the package we could have made that 4th and 1 on our last drive, run out the clock, and never had to worry about a 2 point conversion.

Comment

...Down and distance would indicate a wildcat or similar formation without a true QB would have probably been more successful in these three downs....
              I'm still not sure where you come up with the "would have probably".

Let's remember - while Missou's offense sucks (allegedly) - their defense has been holding teams all year to low outputs. Telling them that you are going to run with no intent of even thinking about throwing it - you don't think they could keep BYU to 2 yards or less?

Comment

This discussion reminds me of the illustrious Gary Crowton. He was so addicted to the idea of having the option be part of the offense that he kept forcing it even when it was never productive and when he didn't have any QBs who could run it. Yet he just couldn't put down the crack pipe no matter how many drives it killed or how many QBs got hurt trying to do it. I should be more forgiving, but even though it's been over ten years, thinking of BYU during the Crowton years still makes me angry.
                Last edited by BlueK; 11-18-2015, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  Let's remember - while Missou's offense sucks (allegedly) - their defense has been holding teams all year to low outputs. Telling them that you are going to run with no intent of even thinking about throwing it - you don't think they could keep BYU to 2 yards or less?
                  Allegedly?

Comment

I think the Wild Cat goes counter to Anae's philosophy. He places a premium on execution, requiring more repetition on a smaller playbook. I think there's simply no room for the Wild Cat in his offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      I think the Wild Cat goes counter to Anae's philosophy. He places a premium on execution, requiring more repetition on a smaller playbook. I think there's simply no room for the Wild Cat in his offense.
                      That may be the ultimate rationale - it doesn't fit with Anae's philosophy. But then I thought that a sweet reverse with a behind the back flick back to the QB would not be part of the philosophy either. Kind of surprised he would use it against a prevent defense with effectively no time left on the clock.

However, I think a wildcat/pistol/single wing/wing-T is something you can use 3-4 times a game, and not just once every 10 years. (Last one I remember was a sweet pitchback from Brown to Beck, who then winged it downfield)

Comment

Here are our run plays vs Missouri -S for successful, U for unsuccessful based on down, distance, time, and position on the field.

U 1st and 10 at BYU 22 (14:00 - 1st) Algernon Brown run for 3 yds to the BYU 25
                        U 1st and 10 at BYU 21 (7:47 - 1st) Adam Hine run for 3 yds to the BYU 24
                        S 1st and 21 at BYU 7 (0:52 - 1st) Algernon Brown run for 13 yds to the BYU 20
                        S 1st and 10 at BYU 20 (11:02 - 2nd) Adam Hine run for 5 yds to the BYU 25
                        S 1st and Goal at MIZ 9 (11:02 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 4 yds to the Misso 5
                        U 1st and 10 at BYU 31 (0:48 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 6 yds to the BYU 37
                        S 2nd and 4 at BYU 37 (0:48 - 2nd) Algernon Brown run for 5 yds to the BYU 42 for a 1ST down
                        S 3rd and 1 at MIZ 43 (14:54 - 3rd) Francis Bernard run for 3 yds to the Misso 40 for a 1ST down
                        U 2nd and 10 at MIZ 40 (14:54 - 3rd) Adam Hine run for 2 yds to the Misso 38
                        U 3rd and 2 at MIZ 15 (14:54 - 3rd) Adam Hine run for a loss of 3 yards to the Misso 17 Adam Hine fumbled, recovered by Misso Kentrell Brothers
                        S 3rd and 5 at MIZ 11 (6:21 - 3rd) Algernon Brown run for 11 yds for a TD, (Trevor Samson KICK)
                        U 2nd and 10 at MIZ 45 (9:54 - 4th) Adam Hine run for a loss of 1 yard to the Misso 46

6/14 were successful.

It is also interesting to note that we started the first three drives with runs, and after that only started the time-killing drive at the end of the half with a run. Seems Anae was not being that aggressive with the play calling at first.

Down and distance would indicate a wildcat or similar formation without a true QB would have probably been more successful in these three downs:

U 3rd and 2 at MIZ 15 (14:54 - 3rd) Adam Hine run for a loss of 3 yards to the Misso 17

Turn those 3rd downs into first downs, and the second down into 3rd and short, and the game looks very different (though perhaps just on the offensive end until the D learns to contain on 3rd and long)
                        Of course, taking the practice time required to properly execute the wildcat offense on those 3 downs probably means that the offense would have performed worse in other aspects, providing a net negative to the offense overall.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          Allegedly?
                          You may have missed the game. BYU's defense did their best to present evidence that Missou's offense doesn't completely suck all of the time. Hence use of the term "allegedly".

Comment

Working...
                          X