Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Thanks! This is the kind of advice I was looking for.
    And yes you get slapped if you lookin, ho!

2j2gjl1.jpg
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I second creek's comment about price. I paid at least $80 (not sure) or more for a steel floor pump from Giant and it hasn't failed us in over three years of steady use (I pump each set of tires at least once every week).

Comment

silca_black.jpg

Get one of these just for the coolness factor. The gasket will wear out on you, you will need to hold the chuck onto the value as you pump it up and the new one's work about ten times better but these were the standard for a long long time. I bet creek still has one stored away in his garage somewhere.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

gotta recognize that
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Spec, Joe Blow and Giant were all covered above, which are the ones I would have mentioned. Some look for a pump with a larger diameter to reduce the number of pumps required to inflate a tire.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I recently bought a serfas TCPG floor pump from Amazon. I like it quite a bit. $34.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  I recently bought a serfas TCPG floor pump from Amazon. I like it quite a bit. $34.
                  Less than $40. Sorry dude. It's a piece of shit.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Less than $40. Sorry dude. It's a piece of shit.
                    Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Anything less than about $40 is not likely to serve you well.
                    Retail price was $49.99. I picked it up on sale.

Comment

Within my experience the key factor for floor pumps is price point. Anything less than about $40 is not likely to serve you well. I have had good luck with the joe blow series from Topeak. Whatever you get I suggest you get one rated up to 160 psi which pumps usually have higher quality heads that seal righty on the stem. I also have liked the dual action pumps as they are much faster but also don't seem to last as long. Bottom line: don't cheap out and you should be fine.
                      What do you get from $40+ that you can't get with a sub-$40 model? Longevity?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Within my experience the key factor for floor pumps is price point. Anything less than about $40 is not likely to serve you well. I have had good luck with the joe blow series from Topeak. Whatever you get I suggest you get one rated up to 160 psi which pumps usually have higher quality heads that seal righty on the stem. I also have liked the dual action pumps as they are much faster but also don't seem to last as long. Bottom line: don't cheap out and you should be fine.
                        I am not certain what you mean by dual action. Is that with dual presto or the other type of nozzle?

80-90 bucks sounds about right. Mine purchased six years ago is still going strong.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          I am not certain what you mean by dual action. Is that with dual presto or the other type of nozzle?

80-90 bucks sounds about right. Mine purchased six years ago is still going strong.
                          I'm not a regular in any of the cycling threads, but it means that the pump pushes air out on the upstroke and downstroke.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                            I'm not a regular in any of the cycling threads, but it means that the pump pushes air out on the upstroke and downstroke.
                            Are they very common? None of mine have ever been dual action.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              What do you get from $40+ that you can't get with a sub-$40 model? Longevity?
                              They last longer, the heads fit the valve stems better, the gaskets are better, the volume of air pushed by each stroke tends to be greater, the gauge tends to be more accurate. In general, it is just a better and easier to use product. If you rarely use a pump, it might not matter. But if you use it frequently, as I do, it makes a difference and is worth the extra money to get a decent one.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                Are they very common? None of mine have ever been dual action.
                                A lot of frame pumps are dual action. Not common on floor pumps these days.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X