Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3171

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

  1. #3121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Just for the record, a 32-bit floating point number in computer programming has a range of 3.4E+38 to +3.4E+38. By contrast a 64-bit floating point number has a range of -1.7E+308 to +1.7E+308. When teaching that concept I always tell folks "That is probably more than the number of atoms in the universe." Turns out I was right. By a mile!
    Are you sure about that 32-bit range?

    Whoops. Should be 32-bit = 3.4E-38 to +3.4E+38 and 64-bit = 1.7E-308 to +1.7E+308. Good catch.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 03-14-2019 at 08:31 AM.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  2. #3122
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,964

    Default

    So, if you stacked $1 bills on top of each other, how high would that be?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  3. #3123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    So, if you stacked $1 bills on top of each other, how high would that be?
    How many? Are we talking about welder-level money?

  4. #3124
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    So, if you stacked $1 bills on top of each other, how high would that be?
    Is this just some ploy so you can tell us to write in Mitt?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  5. #3125
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    How many? Are we talking about welder-level money?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Is this just some ploy so you can tell us to write in Mitt?
    I was referencing this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    What is crazy is that number isn't even atoms. Just particles. Crazy!
    I used $1 bills instead of $100 bills because I wanted it to be relatable to this crowd. SJBH.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  6. #3126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I was referencing this:



    I used $1 bills instead of $100 bills because I wanted it to be relatable to this crowd. SJBH.
    I understand. And speak for yourself, by the way. I make close to what welders make!

    Still, you haven't told us how many dollar bills you are stacking.

  7. #3127
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    So, if you stacked $1 bills on top of each other, how high would that be?
    3.65E+18 light years.

    Can't help being a math nerd sometimes.

    If it were 100 dollar bills, it would be 3.65E+16 light years.

  8. #3128

    Default

    So I was walking down the street in College Park, Maryland, and as we were passing some dude, I nodded to him in a friendly manner. He goes off on me and says, "don't say hi to me! You don't know me, boy!"

  9. #3129
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    So I was walking down the street in College Park, Maryland, and as we were passing some dude, I nodded to him in a friendly manner. He goes off on me and says, "don't say hi to me! You don't know me, boy!"
    I blame trump and his racist time machine,.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  10. #3130
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    3.65E+18 light years.

    Can't help being a math nerd sometimes.

    If it were 100 dollar bills, it would be 3.65E+16 light years.
    Thank you! Awesome.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  11. #3131
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    14,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    I blame trump and his racist time machine,.
    He was probably French.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  12. #3132

    Default

    We visited the Columbia River Maritime Museum during our spring break stay in Astoria. It has an exhibit about the yosegaki hinomaru, the Japanese "good luck" flag that WWII soldiers would carry with them during battle. Each flag would be signed by family members and friends, including well wishes and admonitions:
    IMG_1183.jpg

    These flags became somewhat of a souvenir for American soldiers, who would bring them home after retrieving them from a dead Japanese soldier. Apparently most of them had no idea that they represented. The museum has a collection of them:
    IMG_1181.jpg

    There is a non-profit society that encourages the return of these flags. Once returned, it goes to work trying to find the descendants of the fallen soldiers. It sometimes weeks, others more than a year. And some have just vanished. But it still works at it. I found this video quite moving:



    Anyways, good abounds in the world. I thought the few members here who had Japanese ties might find this interesting. Here's the link to the society:

    http://obonsociety.org

    Edit: can someone please turn these pics around? They have the Oregon curse.

  13. #3133
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,245

    Default

    I won an autographed Earl Campbell jersey (Texas jersey) today at a golf tournament. What does someone who doesn't love the NFL and doesn't love Texas do with something like that?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  14. #3134

    Default

    sell it
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  15. #3135
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    sell it
    That was my first thought. Doesn't look like its too terribly valuable though. May $40 on ebay.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  16. #3136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    That was my first thought. Doesn't look like its too terribly valuable though. May $40 on ebay.
    That seems lowish. Do you have COA? That should bump up the price.

    Looking on eBay, some of those jerseys are in crappy shape.

  17. #3137
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    29,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    That seems lowish. Do you have COA? That should bump up the price.
    Don't know, actually. Guess I'll have to open it up and see
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  18. #3138

    Default

    I didn't know he ran for the Saints. He was fun to watch when he played for the Oilers.

  19. #3139
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,845

    Default

    BYU ranked #1 best value college by Forbes.

    https://www.forbes.com/best-value-co.../#30bc0642245b
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  20. #3140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    BYU ranked #1 best value college by Forbes.

    https://www.forbes.com/best-value-co.../#30bc0642245b
    ALUF's heads exploding.

    #yourtithingdollarsatwork

  21. #3141
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    BYU ranked #1 best value college by Forbes.

    https://www.forbes.com/best-value-co.../#30bc0642245b
    Stanford and Harvard are in the top ten. Are they even taking cost of tuition into account?

  22. #3142
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Stanford and Harvard are in the top ten. Are they even taking cost of tuition into account?
    Without reading the methodology I would be willing to bet that they are.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  23. #3143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Stanford and Harvard are in the top ten. Are they even taking cost of tuition into account?
    If you look at the list, BYU is the cheapest by far: tithing subsidies at work.

  24. #3144
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    If you look at the list, BYU is the cheapest by far: tithing subsidies at work.
    I wasn't trying to infer that BYU isn't the best college value. Clearly it deserved to be #1. I'm just wondering about those other ones that will leave the graduating students potentially owning over $100K for their education.

  25. #3145
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I wasn't trying to infer that BYU isn't the best college value. Clearly it deserved to be #1. I'm just wondering about those other ones that will leave the graduating students potentially owning over $100K for their education.
    Where does it state that? I bet most Princeton grads (#2) finish with less debt than the national average.
    Last edited by hostile; 04-26-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  26. #3146
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Where does it state that? I bet most Princeton grads (#2) finish with less debt than the national average.
    I only mentioned the two where I actually have an idea of tuition costs, Stanford and Harvard. I have no idea how much Princeton costs.

  27. #3147
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I only mentioned the two where I actually have an idea of tuition costs, Stanford and Harvard. I have no idea how much Princeton costs.
    Probably similar to Stanford and Harvard.
    2017
    Stanford 45k
    Harvard 46k
    Princeton 43k

    Most, if not all, ivy schools will subsidize the cost of tuition for students who demonstrate financial need. Stanford does the same. Those who don’t demonstrate financial need likely aren’t going in much debt for their education.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  28. #3148
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Probably similar to Stanford and Harvard.
    2017
    Stanford 45k
    Harvard 46k
    Princeton 43k

    Most, if not all, ivy schools will subsidize the cost of tuition for students who demonstrate financial need. Stanford does the same. Those who don’t demonstrate financial need likely aren’t going in much debt for their education.
    Recently listened to the Malcolm Gladwell podcasts on the gigantic endowments for elite schools. None of those schools should ever charge tuition to any but the wealthiest students.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  29. #3149
    lollygagger hostile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Recently listened to the Malcolm Gladwell podcasts on the gigantic endowments for elite schools. None of those schools should ever charge tuition to any but the wealthiest students.
    Right. They are using their endowment to make high quality education affordable for anyone who can get admitted. Not sure where the cut -off is for “wealthiest”. I see BYU doing the same through their tithing-supported endowment as well (I have no idea how much tithing subsidizes student’s tuition)
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

    "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  30. #3150
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    48,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Right. They are using their endowment to make high quality education affordable for anyone who can get admitted. Not sure where the cut -off is for “wealthiest”. I see BYU doing the same through their tithing-supported endowment as well (I have no idea how much tithing subsidizes student’s tuition)
    80-90%
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •