Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 3052

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

I’m a little bit afraid of any Utahan under the age of 50 who chooses the In God We Trust license plate.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I’m a little bit afraid of any Utahan under the age of 50 who chooses the In God We Trust license plate.
    I'm a little bit afraid of any Utahn who doesn't know the correct spelling of Utahn.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Is that the flag plate? They seem to be a political statement in opposition to the NFL kneeling thing.

As solid a hard rock ballad "Home Sweet Home" is, Crue's "Without You" is even better. It's a shame every kid who grew up in the 80's knows how to play Home Sweet Home on the piano, yet Without You is largely forgotten.

It's a brave new world in rural Oregon where they can actually - wait for it - pump. their. own. gas. Be careful out there, HFN:

From a Forbes article
    But even this tiny increase in freedom was apparently too much for some Oregonians. In a Facebook post that’s now gone viral, local news station KTVL polled their fans for their thoughts about the new law. Some did not take the news well.

Here are a few premium selections:

“Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea.”

“I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!”

“I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even”

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    It's a brave new world in rural Oregon where they can actually - wait for it - pump. their. own. gas. Be careful out there, HFN:

From a Forbes article
    For some reason Baker and few other small outposts have been allowed to pump-your-own after a certain time (9-10pm) for a few years.

From a Forbes article
    I think they will be ok pumping their own gas... After they figure out how that gas thingie works:

dsgxy6u285801.jpg
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

From a Forbes article
    I travel to two rural Oregon counties on occasion. I CANNOT WAIT to pump my own gas when I go next time. The freedom, denied for so long, when it breaks free, will be a glorious thing to behold.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I think they will be ok pumping their own gas... After they figure out how that gas thingie works:

dsgxy6u285801.jpg
    Sometimes that is the only nozzle position that will let gas flow at the maximum rate into my 2005 Mustang without continually clicking off. I don't know why many nozzles are just fine in that car but some have some sort of back pressure issue.

We were in Chile this past summer where they view pumping gas like some older Oregonians do. Honestly, it was weird to have these odd guys come out and stand there leering at you while the gas pumped into the car. I think I prefer doing it myself.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

My inlaws live in rural Oregon and have always pumped their own gas. Of course, their town has a co-op that was exempt from the old law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    My inlaws live in rural Oregon and have always pumped their own gas. Of course, their town has a co-op that was exempt from the old law.

So basically your story adds no value to the conversation. Might as well have said "My in-laws live in Maryland and have always pumped their own gas. Of course, their state is not Oregon so they are exempt from the old law."
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I always stopped at the Arrowhead gas station on the Umatilla reservation when passing through Oregon because I could pump my own gas there.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    So basically your story adds no value to the conversation. Might as well have said "My in-laws live in Maryland and have always pumped their own gas. Of course, their state is not Oregon so they are exempt from the old law."
    Do I add value to any conversation?

I’m just pointing out that not all Oregonians have been brainwashed into thinking pumping gas is hard or dangerous.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Do I add value to any conversation?

I’m just pointing out that not all Oregonians have been brainwashed into thinking pumping gas is hard or dangerous.

And I'm just yanking your chain (not THAT chain, sickos!)
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I was looking at the list of birds seen in Bimini, Bahamas (we're considering going there for a couple of days in March) and I saw this. I'm assuming he got Cornell's Ornithology Lab confused with the gas company.

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

when the morning commute is your favorite part of the job and you kinda dread the end of said commute, you probably dislike your job.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    when the morning commute is your favorite part of the job and you kinda dread the end of said commute, you probably dislike your job.
    One of the wisest things I've heard in years came at a retirement party I attended. I love it so much that I might have shared it here before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

We were talking to someone retiring at 59, and the rest of us younger people saddled with debt were asking him how he could do it so young. He told us it's simple: take a tape measure and stretch it out to 85 inches. Those inches represent an average life, which if you're lucky enough you will reach or go over. Then point to your current age. That is what you have left to live. Now assess your life. Are you happy with what you're doing, given the time you have left?

If you are unhappy with your job and cannot change it, do your best to modify it. Life is hard enough when you have to pay for it with a job that you loathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    One of the wisest things I've heard in years came at a retirement party I attended. I love it so much that I might have shared it here before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

We were talking to someone retiring at 59, and the rest of us younger people saddled with debt were asking him how he could do it so young. He told us it's simple: take a tape measure and stretch it out to 85 inches. Those inches represent an average life, which if you're lucky enough you will reach or go over. Then point to your current age. That is what you have left to live. Now assess your life. Are you happy with what you're doing, given the time you have left?

If you are unhappy with your job and cannot change it, do your best to modify it. Life is hard enough when you have to pay for it with a job that you loathe.
    that is good advice, I appreciate the thoughtful response and your last sentence is 100% correct, but modifying and/or changing the job can be incredibly difficult and can take a lot of time to make happen. that's the process I'm in right now. this damn job provides well for my family so in a way I'm trapped because as bad as it is, the alternative (being unemployed or underemployed) is even worse.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Maybe it would help if you moved 20 miles further away from work? Then the best part of your day would last longer.

I like my job, most of the time, but I also love my morning commute. I head out early, so not a lot of traffic. I am usually listening to a book and having a little breakfast. I'm not stressed to get there, because as much as I like my job, it's not like I am dying to get there. Sometimes in the morning I wish I had another 15 miles to drive.

Evening commute, not so much. Traffic is much worse, and I am in much more of a hurry to get to my destination. Plus, I am not eating.

that is good advice, I appreciate the thoughtful response and your last sentence is 100% correct, but modifying and/or changing the job can be incredibly difficult and can take a lot of time to make happen. that's the process I'm in right now. this damn job provides well for my family so in a way I'm trapped because as bad as it is, the alternative (being unemployed or underemployed) is even worse.
    I do not want to appear sager than I am. If I truly heeded my advice, I would be living in Waipio Valley as a commie hippie and surfing with my kids every day. After I learned how to surf, of course. But the trade-off of not doing something you truly desire is a family that is well taken care of, as you say.

The 'tape measure' advice has reverberated throughout many aspects of my life. I am not as stingy with my money as I used to be. I don't work as hard as I should when I take time out to attend kids' activities throughout the day. I've given up on some extracurricular involvement with medical societies that I truly enjoyed, because it was impinging too much on my free time.

I do get the threat of being under- or unemployed. My gentle advice is to continually reassess your position and trade-offs. If it comes to a point where you're not sure you're coming out positive, that's your cue to consider a 'drastic' change.

Lecture over.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    Maybe it would help if you moved 20 miles further away from work? Then the best part of your day would last longer.
    i will no longer stand for the constant abuse board treasure clark addison takes at the hands of you mooks. no more of this “he’s a bald man with a woman’s church calling” stuff. i can’t tolerate that anymore.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Clark Addison is the best.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

its tempting.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    i will no longer stand for the constant abuse board treasure clark addison takes at the hands of you mooks. no more of this “he’s a bald man with a woman’s church calling” stuff. i can’t tolerate that anymore.
    I got released from my woman's church calling.

Still bald, though.

I got released from my woman's church calling.

Still bald, though.
    haters, back off!

I don't think this warrants its own thread, but the Navy is having a very, very, very bad year

In addition to not being able to avoid colliding with other ships at sea, one of its newest ships, the USS Little Rock, is stuck in the ice in Montreal

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ps/1057914001/

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

A week ago, I sliced my thumb pretty good. It didn't quite need stitches, so I've been keeping it wrapped in that self-sticking medical tape. It's crazy how much we use our thumbs, and how this has handicapped me. And when I try to use it on my phone screen, it's as though I have no soul--like that episode of The Simpsons, when after selling his soul to Millhouse, Bart was unable to activate the automatic sliding door into the Kwik-e-Mart.

Re-watching Breaking Bad, and I inexplicably want to buy both a Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger. My dream as a kid was to own the General Lee, but there's no way I'd drive a car with the stars and bars on it. So I thought maybe it would be awesome to get a red Dodge Challenger, with the Stars and Stripes on top, with block lettering "General Grant" or even better "General Sherman" on the roof near the flag.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

hellcat. do it.