No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really a thought, but I wanted to mention that last night I re-watched The Hunt for Red October, a fine movie made around 1990. Those who have seen it will recall that the plan to defect to the United States was nearly foiled by an undercover KGB agent on board the ship. It didn't mean much when I saw the movie the first time, but the agent character's name is Putin. Prescient!

Comment

• Man, why don't we have water slide?

Elevation Church Debuts Water Slide Baptismal

Regular attenders of Elevation Church reported being surprised Sunday morning when they were directed to the “new balcony entrance” for seating.

“We normally get there early so we can sit as close to pastor Steven as possible,” Marie Dotwiler told reporters. “We were all like, ‘What’s going on?'” They did not have to wonder for long.

Pastor Steven Furtick took the stage under a single spotlight, and after some coy banter, he reportedly announced that it was “Baptism Sunday,” but that this was “not your Mama’s Baptism Sunday.” At this cue, a giant water slide, stretching from the balcony down to a small pool of water, was unveiled from behind a large curtain as the worship band began performing TLC’s 1994 hit “Waterfalls.”

Those, like Marie Dotwiler, who had been ushered to the new entrance were directed one-by-one into the orange contraption and, with a push, sent hurtling toward the waters of baptism in screaming identification with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The church had hired auctioneers to stand along the sides of the slide and speedily utter the phrase, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit” as the unsuspecting congregants whooshed by into the pool below.
      [...]
      At publishing time, the Elevation website reports that the church has broken its own record for the most baptisms in a single Sunday.
      https://babylonbee.com/news/elevatio...ide-baptismal/
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Wow
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Wow
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Wow
            Oh my — you don’t realize that’s a parody website like the Onion?

Comment

• Lol @ JL.

Comment

• I liked the line that the "church had hired auctioneers to stand along the sides of the slide and speedily utter [the baptismal prayer]."

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  Oh my — you don’t realize that’s a parody website like the Onion?
                  I didn't click on the link. Just read the excerpt.

Ha, my monday isn't going well so far.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• But the picture makes it look so real.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Kudos to BYU Law:

Pepperdine and BYU are the Two Most Ideologically Balanced Law Schools

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...ools-2013.html
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Hey look, LAU is saying nice things about BYU, he must be a nice guy.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Hey look, LAU is saying nice things about BYU, he must be a nice guy.
                            Grow up.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

• Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              Grow up.
                              Whoa! No need to get personal!

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                Whoa! No need to get personal!
                                ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                                X